Grado GS-1000 (No i) vs RS1(i), same price, which?
Feb 15, 2011 at 11:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

evanparker2134

New Head-Fier
I think this is a pretty unique thread, given the conditions. 

So here it is. I have the opportunity to buy: A used (demoed) pair of GS1000 headphones at the price of $600 ($700 clearance NEW), or the RS1i pair NEW for $700. I have researched the difference in the (i) and "non-i" phones and was still a little intrigued by the GS's, even if they aren't the new models. I am also interested in the greater soundstage of the GS's (naturally because of the size and greater distance between the ear and the driver), but am still very much on the fence.

I feel that the music I listen to will be important in determining which pair I eventually get. I listen to a whole lot of older, I guess you could say hard rock, but also am fond of acoustic rock, some folk, and some jazz. These artists come to mind and will offer good examples: The Dead, Pink Floyd, 13th Floor Elev., Jethro, Beatles. I listen to rock with a variety of backing instruments, exotic you might say, not the usual 4 piece, but with some brass, piano, unusual percussion, other stuff thrown in. 

So, maybe I can get some recommendations, as I can not try these out personally. I know this is sort of a personal preference type of question, but I'm sure I can return these guys if I absolutely think they are not as expected. 

So, thanks very much for any posts.

To shorten this up a bit, what would you get, the GS 1000 (older model) or the RS1i for the same price (or perhaps cheaper with a used GS), given my musical tastes?

Feb 15, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 6
I would jump on the GS1000 at that price and then if you didn't like it you could always sell it for what you paid and use the money to get the RS1i

Feb 15, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 6
I'd buy the GS1000 if I had the cash or some used RS1's for $400-450.

When I demoed the GS1000 against the RS1...I didn't find there to be a HUGE difference in sound...it was just that the GS1000 sounded a lot better, but not really much different...if that makes any sense.

Feb 15, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 6
It would be interesting if you could compare the RS1i with G-Cush to the GS1000i.  That might be a pretty close call.  I did the G-Cush to my 325is and compared it to a GS1000.  It wasn't a long way off.

Feb 15, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 6
I (and many) feel that the RS1i 's are the best current in-production Grado can. They are certainly the best representation of the classic in your face Grado house sound that is amazing for rock/metal IMO. I would go with a pair of used RS1/RS1i's for $450ish. I found the GS1000s too bright and "U" shaped. The PS1000s did fix a lot of the issues I had with the GS1000s.

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #6 of 6
OP, for your music tastes, I think the utter lack of soundstage in the RS1i will be a huge liability. For this reason alone, as well as the point made by detoxguy, I think you should go for the GS1000. I personally would recommend the higher model for every purpose over the RS1i, but you can always step down and give the RS1i a chance if for some reason you don't like the GS1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back