GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Jun 8, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #706 of 1,160
I agree. I just am now sitting down with my new GR10 plugged into my iPhone and have not experienced any hiss (like I would with my SE535).  I don't push the volume past 40% or so, so maybe that has something to do with it.  I'm itching for tomorrow when I can try them plugged into my receiver, which seems to give a tremendous amount of power to the bass via the headphone jack.  

How loud are you guys playing music? The iPhone has low levels of hiss anyway so the GR10, which isn't as sensitive as the SE535, wouldn't hiss too much. I'm overly sensitive to hiss. I sold my UN2 because of hiss and couldn't stay with the SE535 for too long because of it.

I use my GR8 on volume level of about 25-35% max from an iPod nano 7G. Any louder is dangerous and probably not healthy for too long. I like to keep things at about loud chatting levels. I'm 100% satisfied with them, especially paired with an amp as there is more headroom than the GR10, but both are absolute hits with me.

Jun 8, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #707 of 1,160
Quote:
Mine are a loaner w/ tons of headtime already.

With my Klipsch ovals and chain the B2/DBA02 has zero etch.  Smooth, rounded and sweet in the highs.  Plus the housing actually fits down my ear canal and doesn't stick out like it does for others that report troubled highs and no bass.  For my ears the UE700 and GR10 are a tier down on the B2 under the circumstances.

I and the 700 owner both felt the 700s were at least a tier down also. It's a combo of time and volume and yes, the breakin is a bit excessive but it works and the end result is worth it. You may be uncomfortable running in some loaners that hard but if it's OK with the owner, you should try it.

Jun 8, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #708 of 1,160
Quote:
How loud are you guys playing music? The iPhone has low levels of hiss anyway so the GR10, which isn't as sensitive as the SE535, wouldn't hiss too much. I'm overly sensitive to hiss. I sold my UN2 because of hiss and couldn't stay with the SE535 for too long because of it.
I use my GR8 on volume level of about 25-35% max from an iPod nano 7G. Any louder is dangerous and probably not healthy for too long. I like to keep things at about loud chatting levels. I'm 100% satisfied with them, especially paired with an amp as there is more headroom than the GR10, but both are absolute hits with me.

With the iPhone, I typically hover around 30-40% while out-and-about, competing with street and subway noise.  At the office I only go about 2 clicks.  When out-and-about and listening to the Economist audio edition or a podcast, I typically have to listen at around 40%.  I had to listen at higher levels with the SE535, even with the better seal, but not much so.

Jun 8, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #709 of 1,160

I and the 700 owner both felt the 700s were at least a tier down also. It's a combo of time and volume and yes, the breakin is a bit excessive but it works and the end result is worth it. You may be uncomfortable running in some loaners that hard but if it's OK with the owner, you should try it.

Rin currently has them. I'll tell him to do a preliminary graph and then run them in as you say, then do another graph to compare. 
Told him to do this:

"a week with increasing volume and quite loud the last few days. Put them on a loop with an hour rest break every 7 or so"

The Grado me and Anax used already had a lot of burn-in, but we'll see. I thought they were great, but still preferred the CK10 and PFEs. 

Jun 8, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #710 of 1,160
Run them hard for a few more. I own PFEs(grey), had B2s, GR07, TF10s and SE530s etc. All but the 530 were either brighter or thinner for me. Even the Shure had more of a low treble bump before it rolled. Liked all of them but for me, there's a clear step up in the Grado. GR07 had more low bass but lacked the last bit of detail along with more sibilance than I care for. TF10 had more mid bass, lacked mids, thin top. I feel pretty strongly about the supplied tips as well.

Jun 8, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #711 of 1,160
I've been using mine plugged straight into my dell laptop using spotify and the quality has been amazing.
I'm looking to sell them though since I don't use earphones as much anymore and prefer my x10.

Jun 8, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #712 of 1,160
Run them hard for a few more. I own PFEs(grey), had B2s, GR07, TF10s and SE530s etc. All but the 530 were either brighter or thinner for me. Even the Shure had more of a low treble bump before it rolled. Liked all of them but for me, there's a clear step up in the Grado. GR07 had more low bass but lacked the last bit of detail along with more sibilance than I care for. TF10 had more mid bass, lacked mids, thin top. I feel pretty strongly about the supplied tips as well.

I'm currently using filterless PFEs with some foam added, thinking it's similar to grey filters which I have on the way. The GR10 has thicker notes but I feel the PFEs thinner response is more transparent as the mids seem more vivid, truer to the recordings, it doesn't feel too thick like the GR10 does at times. The treble of the GR10 I had serious issues with at first, but tips and insertion depth helped deal with it, it has a small upper treble spike and extension isn't as great as the ER4S or even the PFEs but better than the GR07 and the Shures. 

Much much better than the TF10's yes, though I like the TF10's higher treble more. 

Jun 8, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #713 of 1,160
Quote:
  I'm currently using filterless PFEs with some foam added, thinking it's similar to grey filters which I have on the way. The GR10 has thicker notes but I feel the PFEs thinner response is more transparent as the mids seem more vivid, truer to the recordings, it doesn't feel too thick like the GR10 does at times. The treble of the GR10 I had serious issues with at first, but tips and insertion depth helped deal with it, it has a small upper treble spike and extension isn't as great as the ER4S or even the PFEs but better than the GR07 and the Shures. 

Much much better than the TF10's yes, though I like the TF10's higher treble more. 

I think once you start tip rolling on the Grados, things go wrong. Tips that compensate for not enough run in will make the mids thick. I haven't heard your pair so who knows but I've heard a few. Could be my inagination as some seem to take longer to run in but they all have eventually turned out good for me. Of course, there's always room for a difference of opinion.

Jun 8, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #714 of 1,160
 It honestly sounds forceful and too optimistic, we'll see what Rin can provide in objective data and I'll get to try them again. Stock tips were nice, but I couldn't insert them deep  enough with them. I used Meelc double flanges which have a similar bore opening but their length allowed me get a better seal, deeper insertion and better isolation. The bass 200-300hz boost wasn't that big, which makes the mids thicker. 

Jun 8, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #715 of 1,160
If the stock tips don't work, I personally don't think you're getting what you paid for and I'm not optimistic, I'm happy while accustomed to good sound. Stax LNS, top home kit etc. I also don't think any phone's presentation compares to a great home setup but the economies of scale work great for portable. I've even had AKG K1000s to try and get there with headphones. None of that devalues your personal opinion in the least but I also have mine. We wouldn't be the 1st to not see eye to eye on Headfi but my thinking is to try and see if we can find some way to work to a conclusion that involves a known quantity. We may still disagree and that's fine but I've found most usually agree when hearing the same thing.

I find the stock tips quite comfy and seal well unless the largest just isn't big enough. I have Meelec doubles and wouldn't use them here. Thought the UE doubles better than the Meelecs but still not like the stock. If you guys need tips, I think I have spares. Tips have such a huge influence on IEMs that I think one should defer to what comes with them for sig discussions and go from there. Measurements included as we've seen how drastically curves change with tips. From other aspects of HiFi, I think measurements are a bit over rated as an absolute but are great if you're just looking at change or for something specific.

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #716 of 1,160
Okay, that sounds reasonable, though 40% on the subway is quite loud. I think you are trying to drown everything out. You're probably hitting quite above 90dB in that case.
Quote:
With the iPhone, I typically hover around 30-40% while out-and-about, competing with street and subway noise.  At the office I only go about 2 clicks.  When out-and-about and listening to the Economist audio edition or a podcast, I typically have to listen at around 40%.  I had to listen at higher levels with the SE535, even with the better seal, but not much so.

Jun 9, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #719 of 1,160
75 dB.  Currently listening to TV at 55-59dB and the GR10 was not pushed up much more than I'm hearing now.  The GR10 just has certain distortion and peaks that bother me I've never heard in the GR8, EQ5/7.  It's not terrible or bad, just not great or pleasing to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back