GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Jul 19, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #856 of 1,160
I can't remember which but Grado recommends 100 or 200 hours of cycled break in if you speak to them. I've had a few pair and they all responded positively to a few additional high volume 8hr sessions after normal run in. Obviously don't break them but louder than you could listen. The diaphragm doesn't have a rolled surround and relies on the natural compliance and damping of the material that supports the armature.

Jul 19, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #858 of 1,160
Interesting. Not what I got from the national manager. Oh well. My results are my own.
smile.gif

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #859 of 1,160
Anyway they are perfect for me, the way i use them, i am always in awe how they transfer emotions, Robert Wyatt and Dagmar Krause never sounded better after listening to News From Babel. Grado's in ear masterpiece.

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #860 of 1,160
I did good vibes in the beginning now 3 months ago but they are perfect to me now, i can live with the fact they are not allrounders but with the right music and recordings they are sublime. Try for instance Bueno Vista Social Club , and you will be stunned

Aug 10, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #861 of 1,160
Anyone have a comparison of these to the upper tier ones such as Sennheiser IE800 and Shure SE846? I'm pretty fascinated by these and have tested them but am interested in what others think.

Aug 10, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #862 of 1,160
Anyone have a comparison of these to the upper tier ones such as Sennheiser IE800 and Shure SE846? I'm pretty fascinated by these and have tested them but am interested in what others think.
To different to compare, at this price there aren't any real bad IEM's, it is more a personal choice, I love my GR10, read some of my earlier writings. I like the Senns to, but to expensive and apart from bigger soundstage and bass , they are not "better" , but certainly big fun with King Crimson etc.

Aug 10, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #863 of 1,160
Very nice sounding IEM's.  Very euphoric airiness to the presentation unheard of in most other IEM's.  But $400 is steep for the sound and very picky with sources.  For $400, I would take the W30 any day.

Sep 5, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #866 of 1,160
I wish I knew more. I am not well versed in big Grados. I will tell you this, though: going from a 1000$ RTi1 Rhapsodio earphone to the 350-400$ GR10 isn't a huge step at all. Comfort-wise, damn. I was part of Team Beyer for a long time. I'd say the GR10 is like a really tight DT880, minus the sometimes nasty upper midrange sheen and kikikikiki etchy upper treble. Sound is a bit more compressed into the midrange, but damn, is it a good approach to moderating earphone sound. 

Honestly, GR10 really is a giant killer.

Sep 5, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #867 of 1,160
  I wish I knew more. I am not well versed in big Grados. I will tell you this, though: going from a 1000$ RTi1 Rhapsodio earphone to the 350-400$ GR10 isn't a huge step at all. Comfort-wise, damn. I was part of Team Beyer for a long time. I'd say the GR10 is like a really tight DT880, minus the sometimes nasty upper midrange sheen and kikikikiki etchy upper treble. Sound is a bit more compressed into the midrange, but damn, is it a good approach to moderating earphone sound. 

Honestly, GR10 really is a giant killer.

I agree completely, the natural sound and the great dynamics with good recordings, is just fab, therefore my curiosity to know which Grado on/over ear comes close. There aren´t a lot of headphones who really transfer acoustic piano sound the way it should, to name one, even they exell in other parts, Headphones is always a matter of finding the right compromise, certainly at a pricepoint that doesn´t make you bankrupt.

Sep 5, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #868 of 1,160
  These IEM's are absolutely fantastic.  They seem to handle all genres of music just fine but with acoustic jazz and vocals, they easily surpass anything else I have ever heard.  I am very happy with them.  The clarity and smoothness is superb.

I agree 100%, and if not enough bass, you can change the standard tips for Comply´s to have a better sealing, and when listening with an iPhone and or iPod, just putt on the bass boost, it doesn´t compromise the other frequencies. For even more 3-dimensional sound you can use the AK10 known as the Beyerdynamic A200p in Europe, 

Sep 28, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #870 of 1,160
I've been searching for some upgrade from IE80 but not over 500$. These Grado GR10 from what I've read seem like a possible decent upgrade not costing ~1000 or more $. Anyone could comment a bit more about the cables and durability overall? Since they are not over the ear and not replaceable... that is a concern (I'm bad with cables, none lasted over a year with me except IE80).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back