Grado GH-1 Discussion
Mar 18, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #721 of 1,091
  @joseph69 The seller on eBay noted around 50 hours of use. 

@TomNC  The RS2e is a great headphone, and I highly recommend it to Grado lovers. However, I see no need for it if you own the GH1, as I feel that the GH1 is strong in many of the same ways as the RS2e, while not suffering from being overly bright or bass light on some recordings.

50hrs is nothing…with more and more use you will find the bass fills out much more and the highs will be more refined.

Mar 18, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #723 of 1,091
  ^
Nice impressions of the GH-1!
Sorry to hear about the condition of the wood.
I use my GH-1 w/(G) cushions exclusively and in no way/shape/form do I find them to have excessive sibilance. This is using them with either my WA6/GS-1 and my PWDII. They may very well need more burn-in. Do you know approximately how many hours are on them?

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. Maybe they need a run in. They arrived today apparently.

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #724 of 1,091
My GH1 has arrived! I was disappointed to find the workmanship to be poor; the drivers are recessed a millimeter, and the lip that holds the pads on is covered in large burrs, literally being unsanded (it looks the the wood was hastily cut and never finished). I will post pictures when I follow up with a more comprehensive review. These findings put a damper on my first impressions, and unfortunately, as I am not the original owner, it is unlikely that Grado will have any interest in helping me. More than the fit and finish, is my concern that the recessed drivers will have a negative impact on the sound.

All that said, I have a few quick notes on the sonic presentation of the headphones. And they are very positive! I couldn't help but smile right away when I started listening to them. The main characteristic of the GH1, to my ears, is that they maintain their composure at all times. The bass is very punchy and quick, and the overall frequency response is balanced and not excessive or lacking in any way. Vocals are very present, but are rendered more naturally than on the RS2e, which has a tendency to emphasize the higher frequencies of voices, making them sound slightly nasally at times. The GH1 does not demonstrate this, but in exchange, I do feel that female vocals are slightly less ethereal and transparent. That said, I do think the tonality is more on point with the GH1, though the RS2e is also very beautiful in this respect.

The GH1 manages to sound weighty and dark on tracks like Nine Inch Nails' "The Wretched", while still bringing clarity and focus to the presentation. The RS2e doesn't quite carry the same sense of dread, as it emphasizes the higher frequencies in the song, rendering it more "rock" sounding. Separation and soundstage are very similar to the PS500e, which is to say, excellent for a Grado using the L-cush (bowls). I feel that its bass acts to insulate and definite the the backdrop behind the other frequencies, which contributes to a sense of depth and definition. This is the main area I find the RS2e to be lacking, as its lean and forward presentation, along with its noticeably more narrow soundstage just doesn't have the foundation (read: bass) to layer the rest of the frequencies on top of.

If using this analogy, the sound of the RS2e is somewhat "ungrounded". This lends to its greatest strength, which is its ultimate transparency and liveliness. But it simply is not capable of the same authority and cavernous rumble that the GH1 is. I also found that for the vast majority of tracks, the GH1 just sounded better to my ears. I did not terribly miss the RS2e more ethereal presentation, as the GH1 is remarkably transparent and fast for a headphone with its bass.

Finally, to wrap things up for this post, I did spend some time swapping pads on the GH1 with the G-cush. At first, it sounded a little strange; the sound definitely became brighter, but the midrange and bass retained their exellence. Soundstage and imaging also improved significantly, but the sound remained forward and intimate, which is impressive. It wasn't until I switched back to the L-cush that I realized that there was some magic going on with the G-cush. I am not declaring a winner yet, but both pads do the GH1 justice so far. My main issue with the G-cush is the excessive sibilance I'm getting from them, regardless of source, amp, or tubes. If anyone has experience with this, please do share!

I'll be back (read in Arnold's voice)
biggrin.gif

My GH1 is also recessed by maybe 1/8 of an inch. I don't think it detracts from the sound at all, I feel it helps the soundstage quite a bit. The wood on mine is nicely sanded and with a light finish. Grado has been known since the beginning of the woody days to not always have the best workmanship or quality selection in assembling their wooden headphones. I recall from that ebay listing that the guy had one of the earcups replaced due cosmetic reasons. It's possible that Grado could have replaced one of the drivers. That would make the burn in a little strange in the first 50 hours or so. If you are worried about those wood cups, contact that ebay seller and see if they would be willing to them in to Grado again. At the very worst, that guy could ask for you to pay the shipping.

Agree with your bit on NIN, and love your clear thought of the bass. You didn't say "mids" but I'm sure that's what you were describing.
biggrin.gif

Regarding the G cush on them, I've been know to write in excess of that sibilance you're getting. I think joesph can attest to that! Burn in will be your best companion in the listening journey. They really start to shed that harshness around the 30-40 hour mark. The body of the music cleans up well and starts to have some real smooth clarity both up top and down low. Bass begins to have impact that is reminiscent of the PS1k. The sharpness could pertain to how you're amping them. Schiit tube amps aren't terribly warm, I suspect Woo amps to be warmer. Some say Little Dot pairs nicely with Grados. It could be the difference of what tubes you're using too.

The thing I'm wondering about is the RS2e, does it's transparency often lead to sibilance or sharpness if the recording inherently has it or not? Can it be fatiguing to listen to after more than a few hours?

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #725 of 1,091

My GH1 is also recessed by maybe 1/8 of an inch. I don't think it detracts from the sound at all, I feel it helps the soundstage quite a bit. The wood on mine is nicely sanded and with a light finish. Grado has been known since the beginning of the woody days to not always have the best workmanship or quality selection in assembling their wooden headphones. I recall from that ebay listing that the guy had one of the earcups replaced due cosmetic reasons. It's possible that Grado could have replaced one of the drivers. That would make the burn in a little strange in the first 50 hours or so. If you are worried about those wood cups, contact that ebay seller and see if they would be willing to them in to Grado again. At the very worst, that guy could ask for you to pay the shipping.

Agree with your bit on NIN, and love your clear thought of the bass. You didn't say "mids" but I'm sure that's what you were describing.
biggrin.gif

Regarding the G cush on them, I've been know to write in excess of that sibilance you're getting. I think joesph can attest to that! Burn in will be your best companion in the listening journey. They really start to shed that harshness around the 30-40 hour mark. The body of the music cleans up well and starts to have some real smooth clarity both up top and down low. Bass begins to have impact that is reminiscent of the PS1k. The sharpness could pertain to how you're amping them. Schiit tube amps aren't terribly warm, I suspect Woo amps to be warmer. Some say Little Dot pairs nicely with Grados. It could be the difference of what tubes you're using too.

The thing I'm wondering about is the RS2e, does it's transparency often lead to sibilance or sharpness if the recording inherently has it or not? Can it be fatiguing to listen to after more than a few hours?

My drivers are flush with the cups on my GH-1 and the craftsmanship is fine.
I do have a second pair of GH-1 but they are unopened so I can't check the drivers to see what they look like.
Glad that your hearing what I'm hearing as far burn-in with the GH-1.

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #726 of 1,091
I do have a second pair of GH-1 but they are unopened so I can't check the drivers to see what they look like.

This is where Grado putting serial numbers on the GH1 would've really benefited. Perhaps the earlier run had completely flush drivers and later runs had them slightly recessed? I looked again it might even be less than 1/8, a dime could easily measure in between.

Edit: Do you only have a second pair just because they're limited edition?
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #727 of 1,091
Just received my WA6 (stock tubes for now) and am loving what I'm hearing with the GH1. I'm not at all ready to do a review of the WA6 and won't on this thread but I just had to take pause from my listening to just say I love the GH1/G with this amp.

Mar 18, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #728 of 1,091

My GH-1's drivers are flushed too. I mean, my GH-1's too has flush drivers, anyway, you know what I mean.

I can't comment on my second pair of GH-1's drivers, because unlike some people here, I don't own a second pair of GH-1.

I'm not complaining or anything, I mean, it's not like I'm asking you to throw me a telethon, not unless you'd absolutely want to throw me one, in wich case, who would I be to stand in your way, and run the risk of bursting your immensly genereous bubble.
redface.gif

Seriously though, it's great that Grado is having a lot of success with the GH-1, but I'm starting to wonder if they really are a limited edition, I mean, as Grado saved another tree, that I'm noit aware of?
confused.gif

Mar 18, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #729 of 1,091
  Edit: Do you only have a second pair just because they're limited edition?
size]

Yes, but when their no longer available I would consider selling them (retail price) to a members who I frequently communicate/trust not to sell them for a profit and have been participating in Grado threads and didn't have the opportunity to purchase them at the time they were available (pay it forward). Otherwise, I could do the same thing.

Just received my WA6 (stock tubes for now) and am loving what I'm hearing with the GH1. I'm not at all ready to do a review of the WA6 and won't on this thread but I just had to take pause from my listening to just say I love the GH1/G with this amp.

Great combo…enjoy!!!

My GH-1's drivers are flushed too. I mean, my GH-1's too has flush drivers, anyway, you know what I mean.

I can't comment on my second pair of GH-1's drivers, because unlike some people here, I don't own a second pair of GH-1.

I'm not complaining or anything, I mean, it's not like I'm asking you to throw me a telethon, not unless you'd absolutely want to throw me one, in wich case, who would I be to stand in your way, and run the risk of bursting your immensly genereous bubble.
redface.gif

Seriously though, it's great that Grado is having a lot of success with the GH-1, but I'm starting to wonder if they really are a limited edition, I mean, as Grado saved another tree, that I'm noit aware of?
confused.gif

Someone recently posted that a particular dealer (I forget) only has 4 left in stock, but I don't know about other dealers inventories.
I do believe these are going to be a "Limited Edition".
beerchug.gif

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #730 of 1,091
  Yes, but when their no longer available I would consider selling them (retail price) to a members who I frequently communicate/trust not to sell them for a profit and have been participating in Grado threads and didn't have the opportunity to purchase them at the time they were available (pay it forward). Otherwise, I could do the same thing.

I'll admit I've been scoping some Bushmills for last few months. If I ever got to buy a pair, all I want to know is what they sound like. I'd do the same thing as my GH1s and run the gauntlet of cushions. Heck, I might even lend them out to someone trustworthy. How often does 1 in 125 come around? Even further, if I didn't like them enough to keep them, I would sell but only at the price I originally purchased them. It's just bad karma to seek profit.

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #731 of 1,091
  I'll admit I've been scoping some Bushmills for last few months. If I ever got to buy a pair, all I want to know is what they sound like. I'd do the same thing as my GH1s and run the gauntlet of cushions. Heck, I might even lend them out to someone trustworthy. How often does 1 in 125 come around? Even further, if I didn't like them enough to keep them, I would sell but only at the price I originally purchased them. It's just bad karma to seek profit.

Agreed 100%
Good luck finding some Bushmills.
beerchug.gif

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #732 of 1,091

head-fier @furjim has had a pair listed for $750 for quite a while.  

I compared my pair to the GH- and RS1i to result in the following (read one of the links in my signature for more details on the tests... in short, higher numbers for each of the 10 rows are better):

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #733 of 1,091
  head-fier @furjim has had a pair listed for $750 for quite a while.  

I compared my pair to the GH- and RS1i to result in the following (read one of the links in my signature for more details on the tests... in short, higher numbers for each of the 10 rows are better):

I'll shamefully admit that yes I got in touch with him too. He had some great photos, but $750 is too much for me. Also, it's strange but he didn't very intent on selling them right away. That listing is going on a year plus active.

Did you do that graph comparison recently? I thought I was all caught up! Great read, thank you!
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #734 of 1,091

The RS2e is bright, but Grado did a very nice job refining the highs; they are neither sharp, nor peaky. They extend very naturally from the midrange and smoothly all the way up, resulting in a very coherent sound. I did not experience issues with fatigue, but I did find that I had the desire to crank them up a little to experience more punch in the lower end. I just didn't find them to be full and dynamic enough at lower volumes for the music that I listen to. But the brightness was seldom an issue, and usually the fault of the recording when so.

Edit: no sibilance, either. 

biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #735 of 1,091

The RS2e is bright, but Grado did a very nice job refining the highs; they are neither sharp, nor peaky. They extend very naturally from the midrange and smoothly all the way up, resulting in a very coherent sound. I did not experience issues with fatigue, but I did find that I had the desire to crank them up a little to experience more punch in the lower end. I just didn't find them to be full and dynamic enough at lower volumes for the music that I listen to. But the brightness was seldom an issue, and usually the fault of the recording when so.

Edit: no sibilance, either. 

That is nice to hear! Sounds like I really gotta hear an RS2e!

@kayandjohn, What cushions where you using in that graph posted above?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back