Grado GH-1 Discussion
Mar 14, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #706 of 1,091
You can check out the Project Ember Tube Rolling thread. I'm using the Project ember II with dual Zenith 6J5 tubes with my GH-1.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Cool; thanks for the pointer; I'll have to take a look at that. Does it ever end?
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome back. The more knowledgeable people have been neglecting to answer so I'll pop in to say what I've learned.

While I've not been able to hear all of these, the most common recommendations I've seen for these will depend on your budget of course, but what I'm seeing recommended more than anything is a Schiit amp/dac stack or some combination of gear from Woo Audio. 

The particular stuff you get will of course depend on your budget. The Schiit Bifrost/Lyr2 combo runs about $800-$930. Woo Audio gear is more expensive and more like 'endgame' gear. They have options from cheap to (very) expensive based on what you'd want to spend. The WA6 gets a lot of praise. If I had $2k to spend on an amp I'd get a WA22. It's super badass. That's not including whatever DAC you go with.

Honorable mention: If you'd want something that's less expensive and portable, check out the Chord Mojo. It's $600 retail.

By the way if you want specific advice on amplifiers I'd check out the amplifier forum. Good luck and happy hunting :)

Thanks for the recommendations, but I'm already running a Modi2 Uber into a Garage1217 Ember II, so I'm pretty set so far! Not quite ready to take the jump into $$$ amp/dac. Was more looking for tube specific recommendations, but this is good advice for someone else looking for an amp or dac.

That's the cool thing about the Ember; super easy tube rolling, auto-bias yadda yadda. Just plug and play different tubes to change the sound! Been loving it so far, and the price is right! Works well with my Grado and Audeze cans; it's a really neat piece of kit

Mar 15, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #708 of 1,091
@j0val I'm very pleased with the Vali 2 and Modi 2 Uber as an inexpensive headphone kit driving my GH-1. The tube sound isn't as tube-y but that's a good thing for me. I wouldn't mind a little more tube-y, but only a little. One day I'll roll something as the expected life of the stock Schiit tube is only about 6 months if you leave your gear on all the time as I do. Assuming no signal counts towards life span (maybe someone can clarify my ignorance on this).

Mar 15, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #710 of 1,091
@j0val
 I'm very pleased with the Vali 2 and Modi 2 Uber as an inexpensive headphone kit driving my GH-1. The tube sound isn't as tube-y but that's a good thing for me. I wouldn't mind a little more tube-y, but only a little. One day I'll roll something as the expected life of the stock Schiit tube is only about 6 months if you leave your gear on all the time as I do. Assuming no signal counts towards life span (maybe someone can clarify my ignorance on this).

My optical Modi and Asgard is also a winning combo with Grados.

Mar 15, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #711 of 1,091
  @j0val I'm very pleased with the Vali 2 and Modi 2 Uber as an inexpensive headphone kit driving my GH-1. The tube sound isn't as tube-y but that's a good thing for me. I wouldn't mind a little more tube-y, but only a little. One day I'll roll something as the expected life of the stock Schiit tube is only about 6 months if you leave your gear on all the time as I do. Assuming no signal counts towards life span (maybe someone can clarify my ignorance on this).

I thought I read on Schiit's site that as long as the amp is powered on, the tubes are receiving a connection thus draining their lifespan. If you do leave them on, you might only get about 6-7 months out of them.

For tube rolling, check out Upscale Audio. They're the only site out there that actually tests and grades both new and NOS tubes for sound quality. They do 72 hour burn in for testing endurance, microphony, and other things. Kevin at Upscale offers descriptions and review videos to help you decide on what tube sound you want. I splurged a little on some NOS tubes, and next time I'll probably get some Gold Lions that are in current production. Much cheaper, less stress, and a good way to avoid chasing the tube dragon. That can get expensive!
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #713 of 1,091
@j0val
 I'm very pleased with the Vali 2 and Modi 2 Uber as an inexpensive headphone kit driving my GH-1. The tube sound isn't as tube-y but that's a good thing for me. I wouldn't mind a little more tube-y, but only a little. One day I'll roll something as the expected life of the stock Schiit tube is only about 6 months if you leave your gear on all the time as I do. Assuming no signal counts towards life span (maybe someone can clarify my ignorance on this).

Thanks for the recommendation. I think this might be the route I'll go. Can't wait to try it out.

Mar 15, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #714 of 1,091
I thought I read on Schiit's site that as long as the amp is powered on, the tubes are receiving a connection thus draining their lifespan. If you do leave them on, you might only get about 6-7 months out of them.

For tube rolling, check out Upscale Audio. They're the only site out there that actually tests and grades both new and NOS tubes for sound quality. They do 72 hour burn in for testing endurance, microphony, and other things. Kevin at Upscale offers descriptions and review videos to help you decide on what tube sound you want. I splurged a little on some NOS tubes, and next time I'll probably get some Gold Lions that are in current production. Much cheaper, less stress, and a good way to avoid chasing the tube dragon. That can get expensive! :D  

I actually asked Schiit about their recommendations for on vs. off for both their (tube) Lyr2 and their (non-tube) Bifrost DAC. They recommended leaving the Bifrost DAC on all the time and turning the Lyr2 off when not in use to conserve tube life.

Mar 15, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #715 of 1,091

For tube rolling, check out Upscale Audio. They're the only site out there that actually tests and grades both new and NOS tubes for sound quality. They do 72 hour burn in for testing endurance, microphony, and other things. Kevin at Upscale offers descriptions and review videos to help you decide on what tube sound you want. I splurged a little on some NOS tubes, and next time I'll probably get some Gold Lions that are in current production. Much cheaper, less stress, and a good way to avoid chasing the tube dragon. That can get expensive!
biggrin.gif

Thanks @krud484 they seem to be highly recommended.

Mar 15, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #716 of 1,091
  +1
I would think this also because they are heated.

No wonder then why my Schiit sounds so good all the time! 

On the downside, I just got done "refurbishing" some of my other gear which I leave on all the time too. After a decade+, it cost me a pretty penny to get things revamped... (But still cheaper than new gear, I guess.)

Mar 18, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #717 of 1,091
My GH1 has arrived! I was disappointed to find the workmanship to be poor; the drivers are recessed a millimeter, and the lip that holds the pads on is covered in large burrs, literally being unsanded (it looks the the wood was hastily cut and never finished). I will post pictures when I follow up with a more comprehensive review. These findings put a damper on my first impressions, and unfortunately, as I am not the original owner, it is unlikely that Grado will have any interest in helping me. More than the fit and finish, is my concern that the recessed drivers will have a negative impact on the sound.

All that said, I have a few quick notes on the sonic presentation of the headphones. And they are very positive! I couldn't help but smile right away when I started listening to them. The main characteristic of the GH1, to my ears, is that they maintain their composure at all times. The bass is very punchy and quick, and the overall frequency response is balanced and not excessive or lacking in any way. Vocals are very present, but are rendered more naturally than on the RS2e, which has a tendency to emphasize the higher frequencies of voices, making them sound slightly nasally at times. The GH1 does not demonstrate this, but in exchange, I do feel that female vocals are slightly less ethereal and transparent. That said, I do think the tonality is more on point with the GH1, though the RS2e is also very beautiful in this respect.

The GH1 manages to sound weighty and dark on tracks like Nine Inch Nails' "The Wretched", while still bringing clarity and focus to the presentation. The RS2e doesn't quite carry the same sense of dread, as it emphasizes the higher frequencies in the song, rendering it more "rock" sounding. Separation and soundstage are very similar to the PS500e, which is to say, excellent for a Grado using the L-cush (bowls). I feel that its bass acts to insulate and definite the the backdrop behind the other frequencies, which contributes to a sense of depth and definition. This is the main area I find the RS2e to be lacking, as its lean and forward presentation, along with its noticeably more narrow soundstage just doesn't have the foundation (read: bass) to layer the rest of the frequencies on top of.

If using this analogy, the sound of the RS2e is somewhat "ungrounded". This lends to its greatest strength, which is its ultimate transparency and liveliness. But it simply is not capable of the same authority and cavernous rumble that the GH1 is. I also found that for the vast majority of tracks, the GH1 just sounded better to my ears. I did not terribly miss the RS2e more ethereal presentation, as the GH1 is remarkably transparent and fast for a headphone with its bass.

Finally, to wrap things up for this post, I did spend some time swapping pads on the GH1 with the G-cush. At first, it sounded a little strange; the sound definitely became brighter, but the midrange and bass retained their exellence. Soundstage and imaging also improved significantly, but the sound remained forward and intimate, which is impressive. It wasn't until I switched back to the L-cush that I realized that there was some magic going on with the G-cush. I am not declaring a winner yet, but both pads do the GH1 justice so far. My main issue with the G-cush is the excessive sibilance I'm getting from them, regardless of source, amp, or tubes. If anyone has experience with this, please do share!

I'll be back (read in Arnold's voice)
:D

Mar 18, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #718 of 1,091

^
Nice impressions of the GH-1!
Sorry to hear about the condition of the wood.
I use my GH-1 w/(G) cushions exclusively and in no way/shape/form do I find them to have excessive sibilance. This is using them with either my WA6/GS-1 and my PWDII. They may very well need more burn-in. Do you know approximately how many hours are on them?

Mar 18, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #719 of 1,091
@Darksyde, excellent report on the GH1. I agree with almost all of the your impressions except I've found no problems with the construction of my new GH1. Your comments on the RS2e also help cure my desire for the RS2e while I have GH1.

I also like the soft S cushion with the center cut out to expose the driver of the GH1. It is more comfortable than the L but without the irritating sensations. It does not change the sound from the L as much as the G. Sound wise, I still like the L the most but I prefer the S for overall comfort and performance.

Mar 18, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #720 of 1,091
@joseph69 The seller on eBay noted around 50 hours of use. 

@TomNC  The RS2e is a great headphone, and I highly recommend it to Grado lovers. However, I see no need for it if you own the GH1, as I feel that the GH1 is strong in many of the same ways as the RS2e, while not suffering from being overly bright or bass light on some recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back