Grado GH-1 Discussion
Mar 19, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #736 of 1,091
beerchug.gif

Yes, but when their no longer available I would consider selling them (retail price) to a members who I frequently communicate/trust not to sell them for a profit and have been participating in Grado threads and didn't have the opportunity to purchase them at the time they were available (pay it forward). Otherwise, I could do the same thing.

Great combo…enjoy!!!

Someone recently posted that a particular dealer (I forget) only has 4 left in stock, but I don't know about other dealers inventories.
I do believe these are going to be a "Limited Edition".
beerchug.gif

This phrase,''not to sell them for a profit'', is just one of the reasons why I think that you have Class, with a capital ''C''.
beerchug.gif

I can't believe that Grado is still hacking away at that tree. They should have the total production number by now. I'd drop Grado a line, but lately, I haven't been impressed with their customer service personnal.
  I'll admit I've been scoping some Bushmills for last few months. If I ever got to buy a pair, all I want to know is what they sound like. I'd do the same thing as my GH1s and run the gauntlet of cushions. Heck, I might even lend them out to someone trustworthy. How often does 1 in 125 come around? Even further, if I didn't like them enough to keep them, I would sell but only at the price I originally purchased them. It's just bad karma to seek profit.

125, I thought it was 250
confused.gif

Anyway, I've always said that the Bushmills are a major no brainer. They have everything going for them, they're a VERY limited edition, they're also affordable, they have great sound, great looks, a nice pakaging, complete with an embroided carrying bag.

I still think that they're a great buy, but to be honest, I think that the GH-1 are superior in every area. This is not really surprising when you consider that there's a $300 price difference between the two.   

Mar 23, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #738 of 1,091
To cut or not to cut....that is the question. My GH1s are a delight. Very happy with them but unfortunately my Ayre Codex (which I love even more) prefers the HP connected in balance mode via the right/left pono jacks. If it was any other Grado model I would cut the cable and put on a balanced XLR 4 pin connector..and life would go on but it's a limited edition. Would you do it? Thx

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #739 of 1,091
To cut or not to cut....that is the question. My GH1s are a delight. Very happy with them but unfortunately my Ayre Codex (which I love even more) prefers the HP connected in balance mode via the right/left pono jacks. If it was any other Grado model I would cut the cable and put on a balanced XLR 4 pin connector..and life would go on but it's a limited edition. Would you do it? Thx

Let me ask you this, would you cut your baby's ombilical cord?...bad example, ok, I got it, if your wife was haging off a cliff, would cut her life line?...hmmm!, if your relashionship is anything like mine was,  this too, might be a bad example!
biggrin.gif

Seriously though!, I wouldn't do it, but not because my GH-1 are number 5357 of 8000+ production, limited edition, I wouldn't do simply because I'm too much of a sissy!
redface.gif

Mar 23, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #740 of 1,091

If you're absolutely sure you're not going to be selling them in the future then yeah.  You are getting an improvement by balancing them. 
On the other side, if you think you might want to sell them later on, a mod like that would affect it's resell value and attractiveness to most Grado fans.  IMHO

Mar 23, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #741 of 1,091

If it is HD800, then the answer is easy and you will have to use balanced connection as the SE from Codex does not have enough power to drive the HD800. For the GH1, I could go either way. Since the GH1 does not need that much power, Codex SE should be more than good with the GH1 in terms of power. I suppose balanced connection often result in better separation and soundstage. The thing is with the GH1, I suspect balanced input won't help much due to the nature of the phones: lateral soundstage is already quite good but anterior-posterior depths  are limited by design. But if you feel like making the cable balanced, just do it. The stock cable is good but heavy; by modification, you can end up with get a lighter and more comfortable flexible cable, in addition to any sonic improvement.

Mar 23, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #742 of 1,091

Send them to Grado and have them install a new balanced cable and give you back the SE cable incase you decide to sell them. If you don't intent to sell, them their yours, do what you wish.

Mar 23, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #743 of 1,091
Thanks guys. I'm too much of a whimp to modify this pair :). I have an old pair of SR60s and I use this as the test subject. If the mod sounds significant better, I'll consider making the mod to the GH1.

Mar 24, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #744 of 1,091

Let me ask you this, would you cut your baby's ombilical cord?...bad example, ok, I got it, if your wife was haging off a cliff, would cut her life line?...hmmm!, if your relashionship is anything like mine was,  this too, might be a bad example!
biggrin.gif

Seriously though!, I wouldn't do it, but not because my GH-1 are number 5357 of 8000+ production, limited edition, I wouldn't do simply because I'm too much of a sissy!
redface.gif

How did you find your number?  I thought the GH-1 were un-numbered.

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #745 of 1,091
Thanks guys. I'm too much of a whimp to modify this pair
smily_headphones1.gif
. I have an old pair of SR60s and I use this as the test subject. If the mod sounds significant better, I'll consider making the mod to the GH1.

Worst case senario, you could always reinstall a 1/8'', or 1/4'' connector.

Oh! by the way, don't look for a serial number on your GH-1, I was being sarcastic, because the GH-1 is suppose to be a limited edition, yet there doesn't seem to be an end to their supply. Compare that to the Bushmills, wich were sold out, in less than 24 hours.
eek.gif

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #746 of 1,091

Worst case senario, you could always reinstall a 1/8'', or 1/4'' connector.

Oh! by the way, don't look for a serial number on your GH-1, I was being sarcastic, because the GH-1 is suppose to be a limited edition, yet there doesn't seem to be an end to their supply. Compare that to the Bushmills, wich were sold out, in less than 24 hours.
eek.gif

In the US only the Grado store and B&H Photo have stock now.  Maybe this is the end of the supply? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back