Grado e Series
Mar 3, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #6,631 of 6,729
Good explanation. I had no idea there was such a mark up in Sweden? At the end of the day price to performance ratio always matters! Grado 325is are what I have started with at $295 USD. I don't barely really listen to them. The RS2e as I've mentioned in prior conversations are my favorite for what you realistically noted, cost to performance ratio made them my last choice on the headphone purchasing fringe. At $495. USD is just about my limit. I wanted a world renowned handmade homegrown quality can a few miles from my residence that are my standard. So, there were a number of reasons for my decision to go with Grado.
Those are my analytical musically gratifying 1st choice. However, my most listen to phones are Audio Technica's ATH M50X at less than 1/3 the RS2e price point! I can surely relate to price to performance, but with up-scale audio it's the passion for quality sound that gets us spending sometimes recklessly?

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #6,632 of 6,729
I have yet to experiment with Grado's different pads? Personally, they took some getting use to. I think they are itchy at first touch? Maybe, if they can devise a softer texture layer of sponge where they actually touch the ear would quite all the russling about their comfort? As you probably have read, different pads change their sound. I have no intentions of modifying RS2e sound signature.

Mar 4, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #6,633 of 6,729
I have yet to experiment with Grado's different pads? Personally, they took some getting use to. I think they are itchy at first touch? Maybe, if they can devise a softer texture layer of sponge where they actually touch the ear would quite all the russling about their comfort? As you probably have read, different pads change their sound. I have no intentions of modifying RS2e sound signature.

I just got a pair of the Ear Zonk G-Cush pads for a pair of SR225e's and it brought the treble down only very slightly, but that's really the only audible change I could tell right from the start. The comfort, however, shot way up. The edges of the G-Cush pads go around the ear instead of sitting on ear, but they still kinda sit on ear. The foam itself has the same firmness through the entire pad, not like the two different levels of firmness in the stock L-Cush pads. It's somewhere in between the firmness of the two of the stock pads. Overall, a definite upgrade to me.

Mar 4, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #6,634 of 6,729
Thanks! That's good to know. I have their 325is and they definitely, imho need treble taming and bass bumping too! But the comfort you clearly discribe is where I am at with these stock L-Cush pads. I just might give those Ear Zonk G-Cush a try?
I find the "e" series a much improvement over the "is", at least with the SR325. Everyone I have tried them say they're bright. So 'you' tend to listen to them at lower volume which is a good thing overal, again imho.

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #6,635 of 6,729
IME the G cushions have the exact opposite effect with the upper frequencies when used on the SR models. If anything they bring out the upper frequencies and the treble becomes very tinny sounding. If you need to "tame" the upper frequencies, then buy TTVJ flats. 

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #6,637 of 6,729
Oh! okay Great! Then I'll give them a try as well. SR325is could use that, but how about taming that scratchy Grado foam? I'm interested in any option to that effect as well. Thanks!

TTVJ flat pads aren't as scratchy.
The stock Grado cushions do soften up over time and for me are not an issue. You can also wash them with a mild soap and let them air dry which will soften them up as well.

You may also like the sound of the Grado L cushions which cover the drivers, so the upper frequencies may be reduced for you as well as some added warmth, but at the cost of slightly losing clarity/sound-stage.

Mar 4, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #6,638 of 6,729
Yes. There's always a trade off.. one way or the other?
I will try the old soap and water routine. That sounds like the ticket to comfort for my RS2e. Those TTVJ Flats might be the remedy I'm looking for my SR325is? Thanks again Joseph69!

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #6,639 of 6,729
  IME the G cushions have the exact opposite effect with the upper frequencies when used on the SR models. If anything they bring out the upper frequencies and the treble becomes very tinny sounding. If you need to "tame" the upper frequencies, then buy TTVJ flats. 

Just purchased some G-Cush for curiosity sakes ,  and you have explained perfectly what i've heard.
Deluxe flats all the way for me buddy.

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #6,640 of 6,729
Yes. There's always a trade off.. one way or the other?
I will try the old soap and water routine. That sounds like the ticket to comfort for my RS2e. Those TTVJ Flats might be the remedy I'm looking for my SR325is? Thanks again Joseph69!

I use the ttvj deluxe flats on my SR-325e & RS-2e and they sound magnificent.     

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #6,641 of 6,729
Picking up my sr60e within an hour or so...Never been quite so excited for a headphone before. Might have to do with the mixed impressions that people have. A love/hate kind of deal. Still have to wait couple week for the pads to show up though, looking forward to the pad rolling bonanza! :D

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #6,642 of 6,729
  Picking up my sr60e within an hour or so...Never been quite so excited for a headphone before. Might have to do with the mixed impressions that people have. A love/hate kind of deal. Still have to wait couple week for the pads to show up though, looking forward to the pad rolling bonanza! :D

Enjoy ,  sit back and become friends with the stock configuration for a few weeks.   Understand the sound of the SR-60e before you start pad rolling or performing any other mods.   
You might end up loving what you hear.
My first Grado was the SR-80e and for months i tried different pads using tape mod , quarter mod etc ,   But you know what ..... after all that .......when i use my SR-80e these days i always use the stock configuration comfy pad.    I had to buy a new pair of S-Cush from Grado because i quarter modded my originals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back