Grado e Series
Feb 5, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #6,601 of 6,729
It might be your EQ settings or it could be my ears. 
beyersmile.png

Not only are my ears different than yours, my ears are different from mine at different points in time.  By that, I mean that sometimes that particular section of that track (and others similar) can be grating to my ears more than at other times.  I think it depends on how much I've been listening to that day and the volume.

Re: Spotify client, on my computers, I always use the desktop app rather than the web client, streaming at High quality setting.  Just checked the version on my work computer and Spotify client is already at 1.0.45.186 and once I restart the app it has already installed and will be running 1.0.48.103.

At home here on my Mac, the client is on 1.0.44.100 but also will update to 1.0.48.103 once the app is restarted.

Quote:

@trellus Interesting -----  i use Spotify premium so i sampled the track ,  yet i don't find that section that aggressive.
I EQ every set of HP's i own ,   i use the same EQ for everything .     My ears love the EQ i use . 
With keeping the same EQ i can get a good picture of how each of my HP's sound compared to one another.     My SR-325e & RS-2e are my end game headphones ,  i've no need to travel any further on this road ,  my ears are in paradise.

Try using Spotify Windows Version 0.9.15.27 ,  the app client has a better sound quality than the online client version.   Also there is a trick to stop Spotify app client updating to the newer versions , as in my opinion the new versions don't sound as good.
If you are interested in trying this let me know and i'll P.M you what you need to do to stop the Spotify update.

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #6,602 of 6,729
I'll definitely let you know, it would be kind of funny if we did a round trip. 
dt880smile.png

I actually would consider since I know have three similar headphones (325e, 325i, Alessandro MS2i) and have considered winnowing that down to two since I only have so many ears -- and I have a load of other non-Grado headphones as well. 
rolleyes.gif

However, out of those three, the Alessandro MS2i are the most different from the others so I'm not sure I am willing to let them be the ones to go... 
tongue.gif

Quote:
  let me know if you ever want to sell them !   
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #6,605 of 6,729
Well, I've had them plugged into several upstream sources from low-fi Galaxy cell phones only on occasions up to in house hi-end Classé integrated amp and pre. Could be I simply don't like it's subdued low frequency sound signature? Believing all was required was break in period? However, that did not stop me from acquiring their RS2e! Which no matter what source they're plugged into sound great regardless! So, I kinda don't think a system should be designed around headphones? That could easily be an old-school approach?
Thanks for your interest. I was also referred a complimentary source by ASW Soul right here to make them easier to enjoy. I'm at the point now I rather trade them up for Grado GH-1 model as cost of any additional equipment?

Feb 5, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #6,606 of 6,729
Well, I've had them plugged into several upstream sources from low-fi Galaxy cell phones only on occasions up to in house hi-end Classé integrated amp and pre. Could be I simply don't like it's subdued low frequency sound signature? Believing all was required was break in period? However, that did not stop me from acquiring their RS2e! Which no matter what source they're plugged into sound great regardless! So, I kinda don't think a system should be designed around headphones? That could easily be an old-school approach?
Thanks for your interest. I was also referred a complimentary source by ASW Soul right here to make them easier to enjoy. I'm at the point now I rather trade them up for Grado GH-1 model as cost of any additional equipment?

I was asking because I find the 325is  to have very lively/emotional vocals.
Thanks, enjoy the RS2e, I have a $500.00+ credit with The Cable Company and I'm considering the RS2e, but I'm hesitant because the last thing I really need is another headphone. 

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #6,607 of 6,729
I have a copy of The Commodores simple instrumental funk track Cebu. Basically a drum/bass recording miked nicely with natural room reverb. It's in the drums solo that reveals the retrieval capability of end stream play back, whether phones or speakers. It's my reference track for detail and musical engagement. Another, on the other side of the music spectrum would be Todd Rundgren "Hello it's me" 4:30.

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #6,611 of 6,729
Obviously, I have the headphone bug that's going around! For the simple fact I'm still considering a 3rd Grado..a 2nd Stax, and a 3rd Sennheiser or that new wireless Sony that's catching fire? If only I could sell off everything but the RS2e life would be perfect with the replacements just listed!

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #6,612 of 6,729
Obviously, I have the headphone bug that's going around! For the simple fact I'm still considering a 3rd Grado..a 2nd Stax, and a 3rd Sennheiser or that new wireless Sony that's catching fire? If only I could sell off everything but the RS2e life would be perfect with the replacements just listed!

IF only.
Believe me, I understand.

Feb 5, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #6,613 of 6,729

I would be interested in seeing some charts in comparing same model variants of Grado's ,   chats similar to how @ruthieandjohn presents them , (cough cough , hint hint) .  
Lets say someone who owns many pairs of same model Grado ,   if only we knew someone who fits the criteria needed ,   (elbow in the ribs ,  hint hint)

I don't that John has multiple of the same model, what I mean by sample to sample différences, is say GS1000e vs GS1000e, not GG1000i vs GS1000e.

If my memory serves me right, the only Grado fan that I know had more than one of each was LCfiner, I think he owne for pairs of Holy Grail two pairs of HP1, and two pairs of HP2.

Or was it one pair of HP1, and three pairs of HP2, anyway, they were all in their original boxes, these things are worth between 8 and 10 grand. 
eek.gif

Feb 5, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #6,614 of 6,729

I don't that John has multiple of the same model, what I mean by sample to sample différences, is say GS1000e vs GS1000e, not GG1000i vs GS1000e.

If my memory serves me right, the only Grado fan that I know had more than one of each was LCfiner, I think he owne for pairs of Holy Grail two pairs of HP1, and two pairs of HP2.

Or was it one pair of HP1, and three pairs of HP2, anyway, they were all in their original boxes, these things are worth between 8 and 10 grand. 
eek.gif

$8-10K
WOW!

Feb 5, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #6,615 of 6,729
The only Grado models that I have more than Han one of are the SR125e. I also had the chance to compare my GS1000e to its serial number date mate (one number higher).

Careful listening of the GS1000e revealed NO difference. For the SR125e's, casual listening to me reveals no difference. However, my wife Ruthie, who has better ears than I do, hears one (hers) as sounding better than mine ( she's going to check more carefully).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back