Grado e Series
Jan 2, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #5,882 of 6,729
  I've been noticing this recommendation from the Grado SR80 Impression thread. I'll definitely look into it.

Definitely do. 
smile.gif

That was my initial reaction to the 225e as well, all mids. But give it a little time and it blooms and feels much more balanced.

100% just like all Grados bloom after sufficient burn-in.

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #5,883 of 6,729
You should have heard the previous i-series before burn in. My previous SR125i sounded like my £20 Sennheiser MX500 earbuds when they came out of the box. Only on a bigger speaker next to my ear. They sounded a bit like cardboard. Within an hour they started changing. Slowly during the first twenty-four hours of use the rounded full sound was coming through. They continued to imprrove and refined themselves for the next forty-eight hours.

It exactly the same when I bought my second pair of new from the box SR60, years ago. Before those new SR60, I had some ex demo and run-in SR60 and they were run-in already and gorgeous from the start.

The new e-series sound partly run in compared to the older series.

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #5,884 of 6,729
Does anyone know how many hours the GS1000e must be burned in before it stops improving?

I have had my pair since late last February, and until recently I have not been using it a lot, as I have so many other headphones.  I estimate that I have about 150 hours of use on it and I have been using it more recently to help it burn in, as it continues to improve.

When I compared it to the GS1000i that my Grado dealer has, the GS1000i sounds better, with more bass and clearer more transparent treble.  When I compare the GS1000e to my own GH-1 (wth G Cush pads), the GH-1 sounds better in the same way.  But as I use the GS1000e more, it comes closer to the GH-1, and therefore the GS1000i.  I use the GH-1 as a reference to peg GS1000e improvement, as it won't ever get close to the GS1000i at the audio store until it surpasses my GH-1.

THe GS1000e has 50 mm drivers; the GS1000i and the GH-1 have 44 mm drivers.  The GS1000e has the rim of the cylinder into which the driver is placed protruding above the rim of the wood cup, toward the ear, by perhaps 1/8" just like the poorer-sounding RS1e does.  The GS1000i and GH-1, with their smaller 44 mm driver, do not protrude.

Anyone have experience with for how long the sound of the GS1000e (or @joseph69 the PS1000e) continues to improve?  The HiFiMAN HE-1000 literature recommends a 150 hour burn in, but the reviews of the GS1000e spawned by Todd The Vinyl Junkie's Grado e tour/loaner program engendered comments that the GS1000e was notoriously long in burning in (and they only got to 30 hours because they then needed to pass it on).  

And do the PS1000e 50mm driver cylinders also protrude toward the ear from the edge of the wood cup?  @joseph69?  In the RS1e, it is said that the most recent ones do NOT protrude, and that such protruding moves the drivers closer to the ear and decreases the sound stage and increases the bass (which is already increased by the nature of the e series, which increases bass as compared to any model's -i series counterpart).and decreases the treble.

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #5,885 of 6,729
  Does anyone know how many hours the GS1000e must be burned in before it stops improving?

I have had my pair since late last February, and until recently I have not been using it a lot, as I have so many other headphones.  I estimate that I have about 150 hours of use on it and I have been using it more recently to help it burn in, as it continues to improve.

When I compared it to the GS1000i that my Grado dealer has, the GS1000i sounds better, with more bass and clearer more transparent treble.  When I compare the GS1000e to my own GH-1 (wth G Cush pads), the GH-1 sounds better in the same way.  But as I use the GS1000e more, it comes closer to the GH-1, and therefore the GS1000i.  I use the GH-1 as a reference to peg GS1000e improvement, as it won't ever get close to the GS1000i at the audio store until it surpasses my GH-1.

THe GS1000e has 50 mm drivers; the GS1000i and the GH-1 have 44 mm drivers.  The GS1000e has the rim of the cylinder into which the driver is placed protruding above the rim of the wood cup, toward the ear, by perhaps 1/8" just like the poorer-sounding RS1e does.  The GS1000i and GH-1, with their smaller 44 mm driver, do not protrude.

Anyone have experience with for how long the sound of the GS1000e (or @joseph69 the PS1000e) continues to improve?  The HiFiMAN HE-1000 literature recommends a 150 hour burn in, but the reviews of the GS1000e spawned by Todd The Vinyl Junkie's Grado e tour/loaner program engendered comments that the GS1000e was notoriously long in burning in (and they only got to 30 hours because they then needed to pass it on).  

And do the PS1000e 50mm driver cylinders also protrude toward the ear from the edge of the wood cup?  @joseph69?  In the RS1e, it is said that the most recent ones do NOT protrude, and that such protruding moves the drivers closer to the ear and decreases the sound stage and increases the bass (which is already increased by the nature of the e series, which increases bass as compared to any model's -i series counterpart).and decreases the treble.

John, I only have about 12hrs on my PS1Ke right now and the sound is just slightly starting to open up and get fuller, but they did sound good right out of the box to my surprise. Just checked, and yes, the drivers are protruding about 1/8" past the cups as well. From my experience with the PS1K burning-in they seemed to have taken a very long time, maybe over 150-200hrs and I suspect the (e) series will as well, I'll keep you posted. I would guess I have approximately 50-60hrs on my GH-1 and every time I listen to them they sound better so I would think they need plenty more burning-in as well. From my experience with Grado, they all seem to need plenty of burn-in before they reach their fullest potential.

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #5,886 of 6,729
John, I only have about 12hrs on my PS1Ke right now and the sound is just slightly starting to open up and get fuller, but they did sound good right out of the box to my surprise. Just checked, and yes, the drivers are protruding about 1/8" past the cups as well. From my experience with the PS1K burning-in they seemed to have taken a very long time, maybe over 150-200hrs and I suspect the (e) series will as well, I'll keep you posted. I would guess I have approximately 50-60hrs on my GH-1 and every time I listen to them they sound better so I would think they need plenty more burning-in as well. From my experience with Grado, they all seem to need plenty of burn-in before they reach their fullest potential.

Thanks, @joseph69.

Anyone else?

Jan 2, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #5,887 of 6,729

Thanks, @joseph69.

Anyone else?

sadly, i  didn't hold on to mine, and i can't compare to the gh-1 , and the "i" had was bought used, having said that
i know my gs1ke at 100+ still seemed to be opening up, 
i had been thinking about returning to the gs1000, then i got the magnum v6 put together, and let me say, the gs1000 has been put on hold for now

Jan 2, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #5,888 of 6,729
That's what I meant, nicer materials. I'm not saying the 225e is poorly made, they just don't compare to the high quality materials of the X2. It's a different design ethos entirely.

But the quality of the materials is a secondary concern, I care much more how the headphones sound first and foremost.

By the way, it looks like my 225e has red drivers. I thought I read that was a limited time thing?

With respect, I don't think it's a different design ethos - I think it's a matter of budgeting.

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #5,889 of 6,729

The GH-1 are just that good eh? Hm... should find a pair around hear to audition.

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #5,890 of 6,729
  The higher end Grados are more refined…the 80 has excellent detail IMO/IME with my Grados.

I agree, especially when you swap the stock S, for the L-cush.  

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #5,891 of 6,729
The L cush on the 80e really makes it more clear and detailed. Although it does reveal more of the "harshness" that the highs can have, it doesn't really make them more fatiguing or even make that area louder. I put the L cushions on last week and I think I'll keep them on.

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #5,892 of 6,729
The L cush on the 80e really makes it more clear and detailed. Although it does reveal more of the "harshness" that the highs can have, it doesn't really make them more fatiguing or even make that area louder. I put the L cushions on last week and I think I'll keep them on.

I feel that as well, the L cush opens up the overall sound; background music does not get drown-out now. For fun, I've also tried reverse bowls which gives the lower mids more warm but the bass becomes boomy and some highs are less detailed. I'm having this instinct that the rs2e is my preferred Grado, since I have read that it's more warm.

Jan 2, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #5,893 of 6,729
I feel that as well, the L cush opens up the overall sound; background music does not get drown-out now. For fun, I've also tried reverse bowls which gives the lower mids more warm but the bass becomes boomy and some highs are less detailed. I'm having this instinct that the rs2e is my preferred Grado, since I have read that it's more warm.

RS2e is MY best all- around Grado (and I've heard most models).

Jan 2, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #5,894 of 6,729

L-cushion are cooler. For longer sessions thay are much more bearable as the s-cushion make ears all sticky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back