Grado e Series
Jul 12, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #5,344 of 6,729
  My RS2e headband is black.

So does anyone know what is the reason some of the Grado RSe series have light brown leather headbands? Were those just the original version 1.0? There's one on ebay with the light brown leather but the grain on the wood isn't as nice as the newer sets:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grado-Reference-Series-RS1e-Headphones-Mint-Condition-/252023085831?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aadbf1b07

Jul 12, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #5,345 of 6,729
  So does anyone know what is the reason some of the Grado RSe series have light brown leather headbands? Were those just the original version 1.0? There's one on ebay with the light brown leather but the grain on the wood isn't as nice as the newer sets:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grado-Reference-Series-RS1e-Headphones-Mint-Condition-/252023085831?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aadbf1b07

The reason for the different color headbands, is because some prankster at Grado switched boxes on the blind person that assembles the RSe.
tongue.gif

Seriously though, you should ask Grado, and post their answer.

Jul 12, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #5,346 of 6,729
Jul 12, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #5,347 of 6,729

You were probably doing something more important :p

I could have bought the PS1k or GS1k at 30% off the price :frowning2: Nothing could have been more important :frowning2:

Are you going to get one from the Song Brothers? let me know please how much you pay, I might get one as well. (as soon as i can sell the rs2e).

I'm not in Singapore right now (and probably won't be back for a few months), but I can always say that a brand new RS1i at 30% off the price is way too much value to pass.

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #5,348 of 6,729
  I could have bought the PS1k or GS1k at 30% off the price :frowning2: Nothing could have been more important :frowning2:
I'm not in Singapore right now (and probably won't be back for a few months), but I can always say that a brand new RS1i at 30% off the price is way too much value to pass.

I haven't seen pricing on these, but I think this is a pretty good bet.

Jul 13, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #5,350 of 6,729
Since we're talking RS series again, I'd like to share my experience with the rs1e (compared to rs2e), as promised. Keep in mind I'm no expert, so I'll try to keep it short and sweet. The rs1e was the "revised" version with brown headband and fixed protrusion (stuck out maybe .5-1 mm). All listening was done straight through a galaxy s4.

Rs1e -pros-
Detailed, good bass impact and punch, intimate, aesthetics.
-cons-
Vocalist was "in my ear"- too shrill in most songs. To make it listenable, I would have to turn the volume down to where I was not pleased with the high end. The harsh vocals would sometimes drown out bass riffs and the rest of the band. Sound stage was ok, not great. Not as comfortable as the rs2e.

Compared to the rs2e, the rs1e was more intimate, had slightly more bass impact, and maybe a tad more detail. The rs2e seemed to have better sound stage and transparency. The most interesting part was after listening to the rs2e, the rs1e seemed to have a confusing sound presentation. It just sounded a little "off" to me, as if a few sounds came from the exact same position and others from different positions. I think the loud mids also contributed to the problem. The overall sound seemed jumbled to me. Conversely, the rs2e was separated way better and sounded put together well. The rs2e was never shrill, although slightly less engaging.

These are only my observations. Feel free to disregard them.

Jul 13, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #5,351 of 6,729
Since we're talking RS series again, I'd like to share my experience with the rs1e (compared to rs2e), as promised. Keep in mind I'm no expert, so I'll try to keep it short and sweet. The rs1e was the "revised" version with brown headband and fixed protrusion (stuck out maybe .5-1 mm). All listening was done straight through a galaxy s4.

Thank you for sharing your impressions.  They are most useful.  The RS2e is one of my favorite headphones... I also have the RS1 and RS1i that I like a lot, but not the RS1e.  Great to hear how the RS1e sound was perceived differently after hearing the RS2e.

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #5,352 of 6,729
Hey guys..

I read a thread the other night stating (confirmed by 2 e users) that the e-series has the black felt next to the wire connector board inside the cups missing for the two holes adjacent to this board.
Can anyone with torch light look in there plz and confirm that the black felt is missing for these two holes?
Best to shine light through the ear side of the cups.

Thnx..

Jul 14, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #5,353 of 6,729
  Hey guys..

I read a thread the other night stating (confirmed by 2 e users) that the e-series has the black felt next to the wire connector board inside the cups missing for the two holes adjacent to this board.
Can anyone with torch light look in there plz and confirm that the black felt is missing for these two holes?
Best to shine light through the ear side of the cups.

Thnx..

I'm a SR60e owner, and also had a 225e a while back. I can confirm that both these models have two of the holes opened (the felt that used to cover all the holes now stops short of the holes either side of where the wires are soldered to the driver.)

My guess is this is the case for all the Prestige 'e' series models (and I'd bet the RS2e as well).

Jul 14, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #5,354 of 6,729

I'm a SR60e owner, and also had a 225e a while back. I can confirm that both these models have two of the holes opened (the felt that used to cover all the holes now stops short of the holes either side of where the wires are soldered to the driver.)

My guess is this is the case for all the Prestige 'e' series models (and I'd bet the RS2e as well).

How does this translate into impressions of the SQ? More clarity and presence?

Jul 14, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #5,355 of 6,729

How does this translate into impressions of the SQ? More clarity and presence?

When I bought the 225e, I had a 225i at the time, so was able to compare them directly. I heard a little more mid-bass presence, giving a fuller, more authoritative sound, and a mild softening of the high-end. No significant difference in resolution or clarity, from what I could tell, just a bit more bass and a bit less sibilance. Small but very welcome changes!  

I picked up a 60e originally as a gift for someone and found (with my spare L cush pads) it sounded pretty much the same as the 225e. In the end I sold the 225e and picked up another 60e. With L cushions on, it's an amazingly good-value headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back