Grado e Series
Feb 19, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #3,736 of 6,729
All the RS2 talk is making me consider them as an alternative to the RS1e.  Can anyone who has heard all three (or at least two) headphones comment on how the RS2e compares to either the RS1i and RS1e? 

I've had the RS1i for years and like it, but the RS1e has proven that there's major room for improvement in the soundstaging; the "e" has much greater clarity, placement, and separation than the i.  Of course, the RS1e cancels that advantage out by sounding like muffled junk.

If the RS2e brings the same soundstaging upgrades the RS1e does but without the treble roll off then it has potential to be a nice upgrade from the RS1i, despite being a lower end model.   I've only heard one person compare the RS1i and RS2e so far, and their opinion was that the RS1i was still better... 

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  I'm in an awkward spot since the RS1e has made the RS1i sound flat and 2D in comparison, but I can't enjoy the RS1e either due to the poor frequency balance.   I'd really love a headphone that combines the best of both models. 

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #3,737 of 6,729

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  I'm in an awkward spot since the RS1e has made the RS1i sound flat and 2D in comparison, but I can't enjoy the RS1e either due to the poor frequency balance.   I'd really love a headphone that combines the best of both models. 

I will be blunt for now...hold onto your $$$
I don't say that in a negative way but across the board the entire e series has a slight limitation across and towards the top end. Of course if this area is not important to you and you prefer the unique sound of this new driver then by all means go ahead with the rs2e.

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #3,738 of 6,729
  Well done Buddy!, I'm glad that your first impression, is a good one. This is the kind of review, I like to read, allow me to quote you, ''just a touch recessed'', ''slightly larger soundstage''. I find these phrases, objective, informative, and deprived from any exagérations. This is a far cry from the likes of, ''ten times as boring''.

Regarding burn in, I believe in it, not only for headphones, but for the ears too. In other words, I think that if you like the sound of a pair of headphones, in the first listen, you'll most likely end up loving them eventually. I think that this occurs, partly because of ''headphone burn in'', but also because of ''ears burn in'' as your ears get used to the sound signature of the headphones.

I also believe that this happens to varying degrees. I think that you'll agree, that this phenomenon is very strong with you, and your PS500, just like is with me, and my PS1000.

I's hard to explain, so I hope that this wasn't too confusing.

Oh!, and I like your dog!

lol, thanks brother, I appreciate the kind words...we've always had a very similar approach to things in terms of this hobby :)  

And yeah, even though I rarely take a hard stance on it, I do think there has been a little change already in these things after a few hours, most notably the low end. I keep coming back to the fact that it has to be this "e" driver, cause even though it's very Grado-esque, there is something about the presentation that is a little different than I've heard in the other models I've heard in the past. It's almost like the treble is very focused, thd mids slightly less so, but not in a bad way...sort of as if they just have a bit more room to breathe...but then the BASS is almost diffuse, but again, not in a bad way at all. I'll have to listen more to articulate it better, but I think it's the low end where I'm noticing the "e" effect. It's almost like a bass cloud that envelopes you in a more 3-D manner than before. It makes the soundfield sound larger overall, while maintaining that intimacy. 

Things are really starting to settle in, though, even after only a few hours...now if I can just get them away from the dog

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #3,739 of 6,729

lol, thanks brother, I appreciate the kind words...we've always had a very similar approach to things in terms of this hobby :)  

And yeah, even though I rarely take a hard stance on it, I do think there has been a little change already in these things after a few hours, most notably the low end. I keep coming back to the fact that it has to be this "e" driver, cause even though it's very Grado-esque, there is something about the presentation that is a little different than I've heard in the other models I've heard in the past. It's almost like the treble is very focused, thd mids slightly less so, but not in a bad way...sort of as if they just have a bit more room to breathe...but then the BASS is almost diffuse, but again, not in a bad way at all. I'll have to listen more to articulate it better, but I think it's the low end where I'm noticing the "e" effect. It's almost like a bass cloud that envelopes you in a more 3-D manner than before. It makes the soundfield sound larger overall, while maintaining that intimacy. 

Things are really starting to settle in, though, even after only a few hours...now if I can just get them away from the dog

It's almost the same thing with my old 325e. 

Quote:

I will be blunt for now...hold onto your $$$
I don't say that in a negative way but across the board the entire e series has a slight limitation across and towards the top end. Of course if this area is not important to you and you prefer the unique sound of this new driver then by all means go ahead with the rs2e.

Perhaps this is the reason the 325e is so universally loved...

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #3,742 of 6,729
  All the RS2 talk is making me consider them as an alternative to the RS1e.  Can anyone who has heard all three (or at least two) headphones comment on how the RS2e compares to either the RS1i and RS1e? 

I've had the RS1i for years and like it, but the RS1e has proven that there's major room for improvement in the soundstaging; the "e" has much greater clarity, placement, and separation than the i.  Of course, the RS1e cancels that advantage out by sounding like muffled junk.

If the RS2e brings the same soundstaging upgrades the RS1e does but without the treble roll off then it has potential to be a nice upgrade from the RS1i, despite being a lower end model.   I've only heard one person compare the RS1i and RS2e so far, and their opinion was that the RS1i was still better... 

Simply put, IMO RS2e is what RS1e should be and upgrade over RS1i in term of clarity and sound refinement .  No doubt to me that RS2e is the new RS1 model. I will not even consider Rs2 model in the past but now that Grado did a disappointing job with Rs1e that I find a new love in RS2e.  After all what  is Grado sound without its amazing treble ? Still I hopeful that Grado will make a better Rs1e someday.

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #3,743 of 6,729

Thanks man, he's an incredible friend to me...I'd be lost without him :)

In times when even Grados-in-the-dark would be of no use, these 2 are my joy and solace:

Simply put, IMO RS2e is what RS1e should be and upgrade over RS1i in term of clarity and sound refinement .  No doubt to me that RS2e is the new RS1 model. I will not even consider Rs2 model in the past but now that Grado did a disappointing job with Rs1e that I find a new love in RS2e.  After all what  is Grado sound without its amazing treble ? Still I hopeful that Grado will make a better Rs1e someday.

Hope we're gonna have a "RS1es" someday. 

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #3,744 of 6,729
  In times when even Grados-in-the-dark would be of no use, these 2 are my joy and solace:

Awwww...look at those little guys! 
beerchug.gif

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #3,745 of 6,729
  Well done Buddy!, I'm glad that your first impression, is a good one. This is the kind of review, I like to read, allow me to quote you, ''just a touch recessed'', ''slightly larger soundstage''. I find these phrases, objective, informative, and deprived from any exagérations. This is a far cry from the likes of, ''ten times as boring''.

Regarding burn in, I believe in it, not only for headphones, but for the ears too. In other words, I think that if you like the sound of a pair of headphones, in the first listen, you'll most likely end up loving them eventually. I think that this occurs, partly because of ''headphone burn in'', but also because of ''ears burn in'' as your ears get used to the sound signature of the headphones.

I also believe that this happens to varying degrees. I think that you'll agree, that this phenomenon is very strong with you, and your PS500, just like is with me, and my PS1000.

I definitely believe in burn in for headphones and your ears...both do happen , imo.

I think people give up on a headphone way to early, by just hearing it at a meet , for a short period....or by just giving it a few hours at home, then making their decision way too fast....good lord...it is not a track meet....take your time 
biggrin.gif

Tubes are anothetr thing that take time to burn in.....sometimes maybe 50 hours or more  
eek.gif
....some things just can't be rushed....at least if they are, you are not giving them a fair shake, imho.

Just my 2 cents.

I think the RS2e has the potential to maybe be one of the top 3 cans of the "E" series Grados.

I can see this headphone really picking up steam...I know I like what I am hearing about it.  
smile.gif

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #3,746 of 6,729

First thing that immediately sticks out to me is that maybe the mids on the PS500s really are just a touch recessed. I say that because the mids on the RS-2e jumped out and grabbed me immediately...the vocals are front and center, beautifully rendered, and very prominent. They don't seem overly bright at all, which I feared a bit knowing how much I love the 500s. The treble is well articulated and very Grado...it's just a while now since I heard it. At first I feared I was going to miss the low end on the 500s, but then when I put on "Boots of Spanish Leather" by my boy Amos Lee (Sons of Anarchy soundtrack...old Dylan tune, I believe...great track!!) that clean Grado bass kicked in. I already know not to expect a pair of Grados to have sub-bass, so I was very pleased to hear everything in pretty nice balance. 

The other thing that stood out is the more intimate presentation. The 500s have a slightly larger sound stage vs the RS-2e, but I may give the 2s the edge in separation. I love when headphones pull off the trick of delineating among the instruments and vocals, while not allowing the music to become disjointed. I know that's largely a function of the recording, but I do think headphones render it in more detail whether it's present in the recording or not. 

So all in all, after a very brief listen, I love the contrast between my two main Grados...they don't really sound all that similar at all, and that's a good thing. That may change over time, cause the 500s have a whole lot of hours on them, so I'll report back every so often with an update. 

One thing that's kind of weird is that these feel more secure on my head than the 500s. I can't quite place it...I don't know if it's because they are lighter? They seem to have a slight bit more clamp to them, so that may also just be a function of wear...it's been a long time since I bought a new Grado, so it might just be that they're new. 

Oh, and I LOVE the brown!! Pics don't do these justice...they look very sharp in person. I liked the look of the RS-2i, but I think I prefer these. They're goign to look great on my Headphile stand :)

Thanks to all you guys who encouraged me to pull the trigger...I can already tell I'm going to have a lot of fun with these. 

sometimes its good to pull the trigger , glad you're digging them !

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #3,748 of 6,729
  I'm all stressed with the PS500e getting hammered a bit here. If you go back to pages around 195 there is lots of praise. Fair's fair though. I am not grumping, just saying.

The PS500/e I thought was going to be a brilliant headphone. I made a list of the things that What Hi-Fi slate about the PS500, plus what I thought. (Copied in here)

The 4-star What Hi-Fi review of the PS500 negative points say: http://www.whathifi.com/grado/ps500/review#TXvFGwm6xIhl0CoD.99
Not the most luxurious build - not an issue for me.
could do with a touch refinement - tested at £700; now priced £600. 
leak a lot of sound - not an issue for me.

The PS500e really divides opinion. Essentially though if you get the chance of a pair for a bargain price you need to know what's going on. Only so little pro-attention has landed on them. I mean the sound of the PS is meant to be for studio monitoring. Maybe some people don't like that, or maybe it really is a bit of a horse. (I am not anti-horse btw. Heh heh!)

Yeah, those possitive feedback leads me eventrally bought a pair of PS500e and I was a bit dissapointed.
I could see why those people like these headphones, the PS500e is by no means a bad headphone, it's sound quality is definitely can compete with other $600-800 price range models, but they're plain sounding headphones, and "plain" should be the last word to describe the classic Grado sound.

Mind you, PS500e is not neutral sounding headphones and they are unlikely designed for studio monitoring. It's energy distribution is like a pyramid, which means the treble is a bit rolled-off and the bass is a bit more than it should be. It has coherence sound as it is quite linear from treble to bass, and with nice treble and bass extension, which is good, but the mids is a bit recessed, along with it's rolled-off treble, makes the sound less lively.

I don't meant to discourage you from buying these headphones but I think you should take a listen to them before you pull the triger.

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #3,749 of 6,729
  I think the same as Grados always end up cherished. Having said that I am sat here with my finger over the mouse on a couple of pairs. Heh heh. Kind of wondering about the 325e, RS2e, and PS500e. PS1000e hahaha, I think not.

i had the 325e, and it's just incredible 
the only other "e" i've heard, is the gs1000e, it too was very much improved over earlier gs1k's

Feb 20, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #3,750 of 6,729
  Okay, so here are my super-duper-early impressions after 30 min of listening: 

First thing that immediately sticks out to me is that maybe the mids on the PS500s really are just a touch recessed. I say that because the mids on the RS-2e jumped out and grabbed me immediately...the vocals are front and center, beautifully rendered, and very prominent. They don't seem overly bright at all, which I feared a bit knowing how much I love the 500s. The treble is well articulated and very Grado...it's just a while now since I heard it. At first I feared I was going to miss the low end on the 500s, but then when I put on "Boots of Spanish Leather" by my boy Amos Lee (Sons of Anarchy soundtrack...old Dylan tune, I believe...great track!!) that clean Grado bass kicked in. I already know not to expect a pair of Grados to have sub-bass, so I was very pleased to hear everything in pretty nice balance. 

The other thing that stood out is the more intimate presentation. The 500s have a slightly larger sound stage vs the RS-2e, but I may give the 2s the edge in separation. I love when headphones pull off the trick of delineating among the instruments and vocals, while not allowing the music to become disjointed. I know that's largely a function of the recording, but I do think headphones render it in more detail whether it's present in the recording or not. 

So all in all, after a very brief listen, I love the contrast between my two main Grados...they don't really sound all that similar at all, and that's a good thing. That may change over time, cause the 500s have a whole lot of hours on them, so I'll report back every so often with an update. 

One thing that's kind of weird is that these feel more secure on my head than the 500s. I can't quite place it...I don't know if it's because they are lighter? They seem to have a slight bit more clamp to them, so that may also just be a function of wear...it's been a long time since I bought a new Grado, so it might just be that they're new. 

Oh, and I LOVE the brown!! Pics don't do these justice...they look very sharp in person. I liked the look of the RS-2i, but I think I prefer these. They're goign to look great on my Headphile stand :)

Thanks to all you guys who encouraged me to pull the trigger...I can already tell I'm going to have a lot of fun with these. 

Awesome.
I believe the secret ingridient of Grado magic sound lies in it's mids. The treble and bass is the part that people "respect" the sound of a pair of headphones, the mids is the part which make people "addicted" to the sound of a pair of headphones. Looking back, I found ALL the headphone/IEMs that I loved all have great mids.I can't wait to take a listen to the RS2e and, probably buying one.

Brown is nice, very classy. I've seen the MSpro with brown headband and I totally loved them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back