Grado e Series
Feb 19, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #3,721 of 6,729
  Looks like the tracking info indicates that my RS-2e phones will be here today...so I'll be able to offer some early impressions and take a few pics (of the headband, in particular) for those who might be interested. 

Congratulations!
Can't wait to hear your impressions!
popcorn.gif

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #3,722 of 6,729
Feb 19, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #3,723 of 6,729
I'm all stressed with the PS500e getting hammered a bit here. If you go back to pages around 195 there is lots of praise. Fair's fair though. I am not grumping, just saying.

Currently I am thinking about the SR325e, PS500/e, and the RS2e.

I wonder if the 325e is much different. Lots say they are close. I seriously like the sound signature of the SR225i/ e-drivers that I have. Therefor I am not going to wish the 325e had a more prominent vocal frequency equalising. (That seems to crop up occasionally.)

The RS2e I never even thought about until maybe two days ago. The PS500/e I thought was going to be a brilliant headphone. I made a list of the things that What Hi-Fi slate about the PS500, plus what I thought. (Copied in here)

The 4-star What Hi-Fi review of the PS500 negative points say: http://www.whathifi.com/grado/ps500/review#TXvFGwm6xIhl0CoD.99

[COLOR=FF0000]Not the most luxurious build[/COLOR] - not an issue for me.
[COLOR=FF0000]could do with a touch refinement[/COLOR] - tested at £700; now priced £600. 
[COLOR=FF0000]leak a lot of sound[/COLOR] - not an issue for me.

The PS500e really divides opinion. Essentially though if you get the chance of a pair for a bargain price you need to know what's going on. Only so little pro-attention has landed on them. I mean the sound of the PS is meant to be for studio monitoring. Maybe some people don't like that, or maybe it really is a bit of a horse. (I am not anti-horse btw. Heh heh!)

It is truly is a matter of taste, I love the 500e, with both the L and G pads. Tried the RS 1 & 2, and the 325e's, really liked the the 2 and 325, but think the 500e's is the most balanced.

I know that I can be given to verbosity, as is the case for many on Head Fi, but if you prefer neutral transducers for a wide variety of music, the 500e is a great choice. If you are a "metal head", and that's pretty much it, maybe not.

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #3,724 of 6,729
To put it simple terms…the (e) series just seems to be different sounding than the other series…a new different series.
So its a matter of what one prefers IMO. I wouldn't use the word better/worse, but just different from each other. I for one couldn't be happier with my i/is/PS series Grados.  :smile:

+1
Everyone has their opinion but glad to have original SR80 which in the midrange is mind blowing the HF2 which is where the original ps500 originated from and the classic rs1i.
They all different in their own unique individuality way.
Wouldn't have it any other way...
Now where are those vintage rs1 I cry for abracadbra shazam....
^_^

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #3,725 of 6,729
Well, I got a notice that the RS-2s had been delivered, but I didn't see any package outside the door...so I did some investigating, and...

GUILTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #3,726 of 6,729
^^  Ha ha ^^

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #3,727 of 6,729
  Well, I got a notice that the RS-2s had been delivered, but I didn't see any package outside the door...so I did some investigating, and...

GUILTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice 
wink.gif

I have compared the RS2e with the RS1e a couple of months ago and the RS2e sounded MUCH better for my tastes.

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #3,728 of 6,729
+1
Everyone has their opinion but glad to have original SR80 which in the midrange is mind blowing the HF2 which is where the original ps500 originated from and the classic rs1i.
They all different in their own unique individuality way.
Wouldn't have it any other way...
Now where are those vintage rs1 I cry for abracadbra shazam....
^_^

The first Grado I heard was the SR-80 with (L) cushions…a friend loaned it to me for a week or so, and yes the mid-range was very nice!!!

GUILTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very cool!

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #3,729 of 6,729
Okay, so here are my super-duper-early impressions after 30 min of listening: 

First thing that immediately sticks out to me is that maybe the mids on the PS500s really are just a touch recessed. I say that because the mids on the RS-2e jumped out and grabbed me immediately...the vocals are front and center, beautifully rendered, and very prominent. They don't seem overly bright at all, which I feared a bit knowing how much I love the 500s. The treble is well articulated and very Grado...it's just a while now since I heard it. At first I feared I was going to miss the low end on the 500s, but then when I put on "Boots of Spanish Leather" by my boy Amos Lee (Sons of Anarchy soundtrack...old Dylan tune, I believe...great track!!) that clean Grado bass kicked in. I already know not to expect a pair of Grados to have sub-bass, so I was very pleased to hear everything in pretty nice balance. 

The other thing that stood out is the more intimate presentation. The 500s have a slightly larger sound stage vs the RS-2e, but I may give the 2s the edge in separation. I love when headphones pull off the trick of delineating among the instruments and vocals, while not allowing the music to become disjointed. I know that's largely a function of the recording, but I do think headphones render it in more detail whether it's present in the recording or not. 

So all in all, after a very brief listen, I love the contrast between my two main Grados...they don't really sound all that similar at all, and that's a good thing. That may change over time, cause the 500s have a whole lot of hours on them, so I'll report back every so often with an update. 

One thing that's kind of weird is that these feel more secure on my head than the 500s. I can't quite place it...I don't know if it's because they are lighter? They seem to have a slight bit more clamp to them, so that may also just be a function of wear...it's been a long time since I bought a new Grado, so it might just be that they're new. 

Oh, and I LOVE the brown!! Pics don't do these justice...they look very sharp in person. I liked the look of the RS-2i, but I think I prefer these. They're goign to look great on my Headphile stand :)

Thanks to all you guys who encouraged me to pull the trigger...I can already tell I'm going to have a lot of fun with these. 

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #3,730 of 6,729
  Okay, so here are my super-duper-early impressions after 30 min of listening: 

First thing that immediately sticks out to me is that maybe the mids on the PS500s really are just a touch recessed. I say that because the mids on the RS-2e jumped out and grabbed me immediately...the vocals are front and center, beautifully rendered, and very prominent. They don't seem overly bright at all, which I feared a bit knowing how much I love the 500s. The treble is well articulated and very Grado...it's just a while now since I heard it. At first I feared I was going to miss the low end on the 500s, but then when I put on "Boots of Spanish Leather" by my boy Amos Lee (Sons of Anarchy soundtrack...old Dylan tune, I believe...great track!!) that clean Grado bass kicked in. I already know not to expect a pair of Grados to have sub-bass, so I was very pleased to hear everything in pretty nice balance. 

The other thing that stood out is the more intimate presentation. The 500s have a slightly larger sound stage vs the RS-2e, but I may give the 2s the edge in separation. I love when headphones pull off the trick of delineating among the instruments and vocals, while not allowing the music to become disjointed. I know that's largely a function of the recording, but I do think headphones render it in more detail whether it's present in the recording or not. 

So all in all, after a very brief listen, I love the contrast between my two main Grados...they don't really sound all that similar at all, and that's a good thing. That may change over time, cause the 500s have a whole lot of hours on them, so I'll report back every so often with an update. 

This was exactly how I felt with mine when I first listened to them, and that hasn't changed at all after 20 hours.  Congrats on the RS2e.

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #3,731 of 6,729
  This was exactly how I felt with mine when I first listened to them, and that hasn't changed at all after 20 hours.  Congrats on the RS2e.

Thanks man, and yeah, I'm really happy about that...I think that may even be part of the reason why I hesitated so long...I didn't want a 2nd Grado that was similar to the 500s, but one I just didn't like quite as well. Nothing to worry about at all...vive le difference!!!!! :)

I'm watching an episode of "Bosch" on Amazon Prime right now, and these things image really well. The T1s are my movie headphones, but these could become my TV headphones, I think. Vocals are clear as a bell and they really bring the scenes alive. I'm diggin' it. 

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #3,732 of 6,729
Quote:

GUILTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cute pooch!  Looks like you two may share some common interests. 
biggrin.gif

Congratulations on your new set of Grados.

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #3,733 of 6,729
  Quote:

Cute pooch!  Looks like you two may share some common interests. 
biggrin.gif

Congratulations on your new set of Grados.

He has great taste in headphones, but can't say the same for his taste in music! 

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #3,734 of 6,729

GUILTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

those are beauties 

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #3,735 of 6,729
Well done Buddy!, I'm glad that your first impression, is a good one. This is the kind of review, I like to read, allow me to quote you, ''just a touch recessed'', ''slightly larger soundstage''. I find these phrases, objective, informative, and deprived from any exagérations. This is a far cry from the likes of, ''ten times as boring''.

Regarding burn in, I believe in it, not only for headphones, but for the ears too. In other words, I think that if you like the sound of a pair of headphones, in the first listen, you'll most likely end up loving them eventually. I think that this occurs, partly because of ''headphone burn in'', but also because of ''ears burn in'' as your ears get used to the sound signature of the headphones.

I also believe that this happens to varying degrees. I think that you'll agree, that this phenomenon is very strong with you, and your PS500, just like is with me, and my PS1000.

I's hard to explain, so I hope that this wasn't too confusing.

Oh!, and I like your dog!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back