Grado e Series
Jan 31, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #3,332 of 6,729
Hey guys and gals, apologies if you've read my question on the 'recommendations' thread, but I'm looking for my first set of decent headphones and I'm being drawn to Grado's mainy due to the glowing reviews and the exciting, unique sound that is being waxed lyrical on here.  I recently tried the Beyerdynamics DT990's and thought they sounded great.  However, having never listened to a decent set of cans before, let alone and open set, I didn't have anything to compare them to and decided not to buy them.  I live in north Sweden so auditioning a pair of Grado's is out of the question.  My main concern is: I'll be listening primarily to vinyl through an external Phono Amp going into a HT amp.  So by no means audiophile HIFI, but I'm hoping someone on here can confirm that the Grado's will not be too revealing on my records' imperfections.  I've read through 150 pages on this thread and can't remember anyone mentioning vinyl sound whilst listening to the Grados!  I know I've got about 70 pages left, but I thought I'd cut to the chase and just ask straight out!  I've got the option of buying the SR80e today for about 160usd.  High I know, but that's Sweden for you!

Thanks people.

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #3,333 of 6,729
  Hey guys and gals, apologies if you've read my question on the 'recommendations' thread, but I'm looking for my first set of decent headphones and I'm being drawn to Grado's mainy due to the glowing reviews and the exciting, unique sound that is being waxed lyrical on here.  I recently tried the Beyerdynamics DT990's and thought they sounded great.  However, having never listened to a decent set of cans before, let alone and open set, I didn't have anything to compare them to and decided not to buy them.  I live in north Sweden so auditioning a pair of Grado's is out of the question.  My main concern is: I'll be listening primarily to vinyl through an external Phono Amp going into a HT amp.  So by no means audiophile HIFI, but I'm hoping someone on here can confirm that the Grado's will not be too revealing on my records' imperfections.  I've read through 150 pages on this thread and can't remember anyone mentioning vinyl sound whilst listening to the Grados!  I know I've got about 70 pages left, but I thought I'd cut to the chase and just ask straight out!  I've got the option of buying the SR80e today for about 160usd.  High I know, but that's Sweden for you!

Thanks people.

Well I wouldn't think Grado would do too well with vinyl records due to the surface noise inherent with that format. The Grado line is highly revealing, which is why so many of us like it, especially at high frequency which is where all of your surface noise is going to be. The only Grado I would even remotely think of getting for such and application would be the PS500 which is a pretty expensive headphone but it is the most forgiving that they make. If you were listening to pristine vinyl, well cleaned every time, then yeah it would probably be a good choice but otherwise not. Hate to say it but this is one case where you want a rolled off treble and a not so revealing headphone.

Jan 31, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #3,334 of 6,729
Hm.  That's just thrown a spanner into the works.  I guess that's the disadvantage of not being able to audition before hand.  Even if I could listen to them though, I doubt I'd get to listen to vinyl through them.  And even then, the set up wouldn't be the same as mine, so it wouldn't be a true representation of what I'd be listening to at home.  My vinyl are in decent condition, some a brand new (10%) the others are, well used, shall we say!  I have cleaned all of them, however some surface noise exists and I wouldn't really want that amplified as it's an a level which I would call acceptable at the moment through my speakers.  I definitely couldn't stretch to the PS500 right now.  Back to the drawing board then.  Or more like the forum boards.  Thanks for the reply HPiper.

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #3,335 of 6,729
Based on my (limited) experience (other people may experience diffently with different amplification), with Grado, i prefer to use amp which does not have too much power when driving it. Grado is very easy to drive one. For some reason.i feel those powerful amps (burson or alo audio amps) could easily over power the driver (i mean not in a bad way) and make the sound of Grado like being slightly overly forced or something. 

+1
I think I need to get a polite sounding amp for my PS500e, the bass is a bit too much for my liking.

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #3,336 of 6,729
Really want to try that Grado RA1.
smily_headphones1.gif
eventhou the last time my friend took the inside picture for me..i was so shock of how simple the componets are. But seems they do well with Grado.

Teac ha501 seems to be a pretty choice too. I like yp have it try if i got a chance for sure.
smily_headphones1.gif

The RA1 is quite nice actrually, it's quite transparent (to my suprise) and it will tame the treble and bass energy of Grados.
I am still miss the amp and the RS1i.

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #3,342 of 6,729

I bought an SR60e two weeks ago which has silver drivers. That could support the theory about the red drivers not being permanent.

I emailed Grado and they have confirmed that the red was temporary and the e series drivers will be silver going forward.

Interesting.

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #3,344 of 6,729
Yes, they do and they also come in a SR60e box. The shop I bought them is an official Grado seller in Switzerland. I have no reason to doubt that it is a genuine SR60e.

Hmm?

I emailed Grado and they have confirmed that the red was temporary and the e series drivers will be silver going forward.

Good move, thanks for the info.
I wonder if the red on the drivers is paint or some kind of silicone damper?
Has anyone taken apart an (e) series yet to confirm this?

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #3,345 of 6,729
  There all the same…there are no (e) series cushions...which was confirmed by Grado. 

+1

Well I went and done it. I purchased the RS1e (brown headband).  I know most of you discouraged it and said it sounds like a speaker with blown tweeter. But I just had to hear it for myself. 
Who knows I may love it. Even if it sounds like an open version of the b&w p5, (which has really has rolled off treble) I'll be fine.  I'm just looking for mid bass hump and mid forward headphone.
So I'm going to expect the worst "treble" and lower my expectations and hope I love it. 
biggrin.gif

Also ordered TTVJ Flats and Jumbo Pads to go with them.  

By the way, those of you who use G Cushion/Jumbo pads, are they the "e" version or are they all same?

I was one of the prople that wrongfully thought that Grado had put different pads on the e serie.

The thing is that, on the models that have a larger driver, the pads are stretched, wich makes them look a bit different, and also, the stretch causes the foam to have a different density, wich can alter the sound a bit.

I do want to say that, I am sorry for any misunderstanding I may have caused.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back