Grado e Series
Jan 29, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #3,301 of 6,729
Quick question, I was told that the red drivers were temporary and that going forward the e drivers are the regular silver. Does anyone know if this is true?

I have not heard this, I think the red drivers are permanent

Quote:

Yes, for those like me who found the rs1i too bright up top the rs1e is a step in the right direction, the beautiful grado mids with a smooth top end. A lot of people have complained about them but i believe Grado has purposely done that for a bit more choice for the consumer. For those wanting the rs1i sound they have the rs2e. I ended up going with the ps500e as it was the only one that had sufficient low end for my tastes. I find with the ps500's the right amp makes all the difference, the wrong one can make the mids sound thin but get it right and they are amazing. The right pads also make a big difference, for some of my music i prefer things a bit warmer and thicker so i'll throw some hd414 pads on instead.

Well, I think they've lost their minds.

LOL!

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #3,302 of 6,729
So which amp is THE right amp for the 500e?

Hi,
Based on my own experience, i like my grado with portable amp like fostex hp-p1. I tried many amps before but seems to me, fostex hpp1 suit my taste better. Also the Graham Slee amp they sound good with Grado. I tried also Burson amps and Centrance DAC mini but not really like it.

Based on my (limited) experience (other people may experience diffently with different amplification), with Grado, i prefer to use amp which does not have too much power when driving it. Grado is very easy to drive one. For some reason.i feel those powerful amps (burson or alo audio amps) could easily over power the driver (i mean not in a bad way) and make the sound of Grado like being slightly overly forced or something. I am not good in technical explanation :D. But at least i could share what i have been experiencing with my grado with you. I really want to try tube amp one day. They maybe suit the Grado very well too.

As for now, i like using my ak240 exclusively to drive my all grado. I found ak240 to be a very good match with my grado.

Cheers.

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #3,303 of 6,729
Jan 29, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #3,305 of 6,729
Hi,
Based on my own experience, i like my grado with portable amp like fostex hp-p1. I tried many amps before but seems to me, fostex hpp1 suit my taste better. Also the Graham Slee amp they sound good with Grado. I tried also Burson amps and Centrance DAC mini but not really like it.

Based on my (limited) experience (other people may experience diffently with different amplification), with Grado, i prefer to use amp which does not have too much power when driving it. Grado is very easy to drive one. For some reason.i feel those powerful amps (burson or alo audio amps) could easily over power the driver (i mean not in a bad way) and make the sound of Grado like being slightly overly forced or something. I am not good in technical explanation :D. But at least i could share what i have been experiencing with my grado with you. I really want to try tube amp one day. They maybe suit the Grado very well too.

As for now, i like using my ak240 exclusively to drive my all grado. I found ak240 to be a very good match with my grado.

Cheers.

I posted earlier in the the thread about tha amp experiences I have had. I came from having a PS500 from when John first introduced them. I now have had the PS500e for several months and am liking the difference even though I liked the original model very much. They do scale up with the right match in amplification. In the reasonable price range the Grado RA-1 DC does a very good job. The remarkable Fostex HP-V1 tube portable is a dynamic match with the right recordings but my best results have been with the TEAC HA-501 followed by the Ray Samuels Emmerline HR-2. The ability to fine tune the TEAC with the five position impedance switch only adds to it's ability to bring out the best in the 500e, highly recommended.

:p

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #3,306 of 6,729
  Atta boy! 
beyersmile.png

Let's see if we can keep this going, read on
wink.gif

Back to the drawing board for John and Jonathan at Grado me thinks...

My pain medication is starting to kick in, so I hope that what follows will make sense...to a few of you, at least.

Based on what I have heard, and read, lately, about Grados in general, and the e serie in particular, I have been asking myself this simple question, what if ?.

I'm sure that by now, M.H., Joseph, Focker, and others, know that I think that past the $500- $600 price point, the return on investment drops drastically. In fact, I'm not surprised when someone says they prefer say, the RS1i, to the PS1000, heck! I even prefer the $400 Bushmills X, to the $800 ish, RS1i.

So, based on this, what if Grado had maxed out on, ''the Grado sound'' , with the RSi, and GSi models, and I'm sure that for some, the vintage models, still represent Grado's, golden years. These days, I'm on the lookout for some first gen RS1, so, as they say, guilty as charged.

When you're at the top, there's only one way to go, and that's down. 

As far as I'm concerned, this dark cloud,does have a silver lining, in the form of Grado's greatly loved and wonderful sounding SR e serie.

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #3,307 of 6,729
I posted earlier in the the thread about tha amp experiences I have had. I came from having a PS500 from when John first introduced them. I now have had the PS500e for several months and am liking the difference even though I liked the original model very much. They do scale up with the right match in amplification. In the reasonable price range the Grado RA-1 DC does a very good job. The remarkable Fostex HP-V1 tube portable is a dynamic match with the right recordings but my best results have been with the TEAC HA-501 followed by the Ray Samuels Emmerline HR-2. The ability to fine tune the TEAC with the five position impedance switch only adds to it's ability to bring out the best in the 500e, highly recommended.

:p

Really want to try that Grado RA1. :) eventhou the last time my friend took the inside picture for me..i was so shock of how simple the componets are. But seems they do well with Grado.

Teac ha501 seems to be a pretty choice too. I like yp have it try if i got a chance for sure. :)

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #3,309 of 6,729

Let's see if we can keep this going, read on
wink.gif

My pain medication is starting to kick in, so I hope that what follows will make sense...to a few of you, at least.

Based on what I have heard, and read, lately, about Grados in general, and the e serie in particular, I have been asking myself this simple question, what if ?.

I'm sure that by now, M.H., Joseph, Focker, and others, know that I think that past the $500- $600 price point, the return on investment drops drastically. In fact, I'm not surprised when someone says they prefer say, the RS1i, to the PS1000, heck! I even prefer the $400 Bushmills X, to the $800 ish, RS1i.

So, based on this, what if Grado had maxed out on, ''the Grado sound'' , with the RSi, and GSi models, and I'm sure that for some, the vintage models, still represent Grado's, golden years. These days, I'm on the lookout for some first gen RS1, so, as they say, guilty as charged.

When you're at the top, there's only one way to go, and that's down. 

As far as I'm concerned, this dark cloud,does have a silver lining, in the form of Grado's greatly loved and wonderful sounding SR e serie.

+1

I will race you for those vintage rs1's we will see....
L3000.gif

EDIT: I am going even more vintage all the way back to where it began Jospeh-grado style ..wish me luck..
devil_face.gif

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #3,310 of 6,729
Hi,

Based on my (limited) experience (other people may experience diffently with different amplification), with Grado, i prefer to use amp which does not have too much power when driving it. Grado is very easy to drive one. For some reason.i feel those powerful amps (burson or alo audio amps) could easily over power the driver (i mean not in a bad way) and make the sound of Grado like being slightly overly forced or something. I am not good in technical explanation
biggrin.gif
. But at least i could share what i have been experiencing with my grado with you. I really want to try tube amp one day. They maybe suit the Grado very well too.

Cheers.

I find my ps500s seem to sound better when plugged into my higher powered amps. As far as i can tell the only way the drivers would be overpowered would be if you cranked the volume up well beyond safe listening levels. The extra power really seems to bring them to life (not that they sound lifeless from low powered sources) but everything just sounds noticabley better, the bass gets a great kick, the mids really fill out and the highs really sparkle with no harshness. They also seem to scale very well, if i plug them and my shure srh1540s into a portable source like my ipad they both sound pretty good and i would actually say the shures are on par as far as sound quality goes. Plug them both into my higher end amps and its no longer a contest the ps500s just blow them away.

Jan 30, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #3,311 of 6,729
Well I have a Lyr so I guess that means I won't have to shop for a new amp if I get a PS500e.

Oh, there is always lots of tubes!!

Jan 30, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #3,313 of 6,729
I just got my PS500e set.  I'm so happy that the search is finally over.

Thanks to Amazon's generous return policy, I was able to audition the following:

1. GS1000e
  2. PS500e
  3. Sennheiser HD700
  4. RS1e

Then I went back to the PS500e, for my ears, it's the best of that group.

The GS1000e and RS1e are certainly a sight to behold, and I wanted to love each of them.  None of them compare to the PS500e.  If there are better sounding headphones, I don't want to know about them, at least for a year or so....

Grado, fantastic job on the PS500e.  You have my respect and appreciation.  Oh, and my money. :)

Now - let's hope that future revisions of the "pretty" Grado headphones come about, and their sound matches their looks.

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #3,315 of 6,729
  I just got my PS500e set.  I'm so happy that the search is finally over.

Congrats! I just got mine yesterday as well. Letting them burn in a little before really listening to them. I did an initial comparo to my RS2es last night, just a couple tunes. RS2es are a slightly warmer, sounds blend a little more. 500es were pretty darn hot on top, which I assume will tame. Didn't seem to match the curve I've seen. But, they had better instrument separation / slightly more clarity. 

In any event, I think I'll like them. Will try them again later on, have them running in a bit now.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back