Grado e Series
Jan 20, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #3,091 of 6,729

I think it may depend on what types of music you like. Personally i found the rs1i to be excellent for rock, vocal and acoustic type music but was rather poor with other types of music. The PS500e maybe not quite as good for those particular genres but it sounds very good with pretty much anything i throw at it.

How does it do with classical, esp a large work like a concerto or symphony?

Jan 20, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #3,092 of 6,729
The gs1000e and ps1000e are very good unfortunately they are have somewhat laidback sound that unable to fully unleash the Grado's signature mid.  Grado's mid tends to be more prominent if they are upfront and forward (ironically isn't that is the reason we love grado ? :bigsmile_face: ).

The ps500e is ps500 with improved clarity and  efficiency resulting in better dynamic and louder sound. Rs2e is not bad either and only if rs1e sound like it, rs1e will not have problem gaining wide acceptance. Some say that rs1e with brown headband sound better due to driver repositioning so I waiting for that one to feedback.
This cuts it. Recessed mids is the reason why I don't like the bigger grados as much. They're not slow nor laid back, but still I feel in comparison to their lesser siblings the 1Ks are not fun enough

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #3,093 of 6,729

Neither of them have a very large soundstage so i never found them that great for orchestral music. However when it comes to smaller, more intimate performances like chamber music they really shine. The gs/ps1000 models would handle that much better i would say.

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #3,094 of 6,729

Nobody recommends RS1 for those on head-fi, generally GS1k if any Grados, and not often at that.  PS1k might be the other good one as far as Grados, I assume.  I recommend HD6x0, DT880-600ohm, K702, K612, or HD558 for large orchestral/symphonic works.  AD900x is another option from what I've read.

Jan 20, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #3,096 of 6,729
Ps500e is really gaining momentum.
Anyone have a freq curve of it?

You can pull one up here: http://www.headphone.com/pages/build-a-graph

However, not sure they have the graph for the 'e' series model, but is probably quite close. From all the reviews, I suspect the graphed response is a bit deceiving, as it isn't reported as being dark, just less treble than other Grados.

Jan 20, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #3,098 of 6,729
The only thing i find really missing on the ps500e is an expansive soundstage which i imagine you would get when you step up to the gs/ps1000e.

Try your 500e with G Pads, opens up the soundstage quite a bit.

Jan 20, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #3,099 of 6,729
Try your 500e with G Pads, opens up the soundstage quite a bit.

I have some on order from TTVJ, ordered a set of proper G Cush as well to try. Sounds like it may balance them out just a little.

Jan 20, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #3,100 of 6,729
  My PS500e with the Lyr.

Does anybody else feel that the PS500e is very industrial looking? Now I realize that what you pay for is their awesome sound quality but you would think that for the price they fetch that Grado could have upped the visual appeal of them as well? The 325e at half the PS500e's price is more visually pleasing to me. YMMV. 

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #3,102 of 6,729
This cuts it. Recessed mids is the reason why I don't like the bigger grados as much. They're not slow nor laid back, but still I feel in comparison to their lesser siblings the 1Ks are not fun enough

I'm not sure if your speaking from experience or not, but the mid-range on the PS1K/GS1Ke are not recessed…the GS1i's mid-range is recessed from my experience 

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #3,103 of 6,729
Does anyone know if the e series has been measured for comparison against the prior i series? I'm in the process of choosing between the RS1e, PS500e, and the GS1000e, and I can't audition any of them. My only option is to buy them from amazon then return them. This means a possible 4 purchases and 3 returns. That isn't ideal, and I hate to make that much stock "not new" anymore for the seller.

Questions I have:

How much will the bass improve on a GS1000e over time?

How does the bass of the three headphones compare?

Is there some conspiracy to keep graphs of the new e series off the net because they aren't any different?

I appreciate your experienced input!

If this helps, I primarily listen to: Tool, Queens of the Stone Age, The Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, Ambient Space Music, and movie and game soundtracks.

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #3,104 of 6,729
Does anyone know if the e series has been measured for comparison against the prior i series? I'm in the process of choosing between the RS1e, PS500e, and the GS1000e, and I can't audition any of them. My only option is to buy them from amazon then return them. This means a possible 4 purchases and 3 returns. That isn't ideal, and I hate to make that much stock "not new" anymore for the seller.

Questions I have:

Is there some conspiracy to keep graphs of the new e series off the net because they aren't any different?

If this helps, I primarily listen to: Tool, Queens of the Stone Age, The Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, Ambient Space Music, and movie and game soundtracks.

You would probably want to consider the PS-500e (more bass oriented than SR/RS/GS models, with the exception of the PS-1000) first for the Genre's you listen to then the RS-1i… but not the (e) series, due to many not liking the RS1e nearly as much as the RS-1i series. Most say the RS-2e sounds more like the RS-1i. 
Although I've never heard the PS-500 the consensus on H-F is its a very well liked HP!

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #3,105 of 6,729

Questions I have:

IMO you can forget about the RS1e until Grado finalize its change sonically and physically.  You probably want to try Rs2e instead.

PS500e  for closed-in and room-type performance  => power ballad, rock, electronic, acoustic vocal performance, jazz
Gs1000e for hall-type performance => Ambient Space Music, and movie and game soundtracks, classical  ...   the g-cush seems to simulate reverb/echo to project a hall-like performance. In comparison the mid is pushed back compare to ps500e.

Can't say if one is better than the other.

Maybe you can just get ps500e and then add a g-cush ... perhaps best of both world and maybe the  sound is acceptable to you with g-cush should you need to play those movie, ambient music, classical etc ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back