Grado e Series
Jan 20, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #3,121 of 6,729
I am enjoying my 500e with G's, with all genre. Though @Chailee80 thought they damaged the mid-range, I disagree.

I'm just someone who enjoys, upfront, forward mids which is what grados do very well. I wouldn't say they damage the mids, the g-cush pads just tend to take it away a bit and while they don't sound bad they just don't satisfy my tastes.
They did however make movies and movie scores quite enjoyable, the increase in soundstage was excellent.

I think I may have to save up for the PS1000e so I can have the best of both :D

Jan 20, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #3,122 of 6,729

If you're a bass lover then your only options are the ps500e or the ps1000e.

I don't want overdone bass.  I just want to hear what is in the recording, and in the proper proportion with the rest of the music.  I'm not looking for audio file flat response, I'm looking for what it's intended to sound like.

If that's a PS500e or PS1000e, then so be it.  It can be another brand too.  I feel a loyalty to Grado, but there are limits.

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #3,123 of 6,729
I'm just someone who enjoys, upfront, forward mids which is what grados do very well. I wouldn't say they damage the mids, the g-cush pads just tend to take it away a bit and while they don't sound bad they just don't satisfy my tastes.
They did however make movies and movie scores quite enjoyable, the increase in soundstage was excellent.

I think I may have to save up for the PS1000e so I can have the best of both :D

Agreed, PS1k in my future, though maybe distant :wink:!

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #3,124 of 6,729
  Stacker45...
We await your findings
L3000.gif

Wow,nothingI, I even hear cricketsI, I know that the pics aren't very good, but nothing!, good thing I can take a hint,.
frown.gif

For the record, I do agree with the theory that the changes in the e's G-cush apperance, is caused by their larger drivers stretching the foam, ts.herfore, it's much more obvious to see,  when they're still on the earcups.

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #3,125 of 6,729

I don't want overdone bass.  I just want to hear what is in the recording, and in the proper proportion with the rest of the music.  I'm not looking for audio file flat response, I'm looking for what it's intended to sound like.

If that's a PS500e or PS1000e, then so be it.  It can be another brand too.  I feel a loyalty to Grado, but there are limits.

Sorry I'm a little confused by what you said here. I would say the only way to hear what the music is originally intended to sound like is with a flat response and Grados are definitely not flat.
The bass is certainly not overdone, the ps500e would probably be considered bass light compared to many other cans. It does reproduce classic instruments like the tuba, bass guitar and double bass very well but struggles with the deep synthesized bass you find in edm and hip-hop.

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #3,126 of 6,729
  Sorry I'm a little confused by what you said here. I would say the only way to hear what the music is originally intended to sound like is with a flat response and Grados are definitely not flat.
The bass is certainly not overdone, the ps500e would probably be considered bass light compared to many other cans. It does reproduce classic instruments like the tuba, bass guitar and double bass very well but struggles with the deep synthesized bass you find in edm and hip-hop.

As I understand it, the human ear has different sensitivity to different frequencies.  With that said, that means for something to sound natural, it can't present each frequency equally.  I believe good headphones tend to elevate frequencies we have trouble with, and lower the level of frequencies we hear easily.  Since we all hear slightly differently, this is why we like different headphones.  Some "match up" to our hearing better than others.  In addition, better headphones are more accurate and can reproduce in finer increments. I may be completely wrong here though.  

Please do correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #3,127 of 6,729

As I understand it, the human ear has different sensitivity to different frequencies.  With that said, that means for something to sound natural, it can't present each frequency equally.  I believe good headphones tend to elevate frequencies we have trouble with, and lower the level of frequencies we hear easily.  Since we all hear slightly differently, this is why we like different headphones.  Some "match up" to our hearing better than others.  In addition, better headphones are more accurate and can reproduce in finer increments. I may be completely wrong here though.  

Please do correct me if I'm wrong. :)

I think you have a valid point…buy the PS-500e's.

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #3,131 of 6,729
I don't think the ps500 struggle with bass even in edm...

It depends on how we are enjoying the music. As much as i love all my grados, i would still say grado are not meant for edm genres. I do like listening Jean Michael Jarre songs through my grado. But not for edm that need a deep solid bass. Grado not really suit for those. Just my personal opinion.

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #3,132 of 6,729
  Still can't believe the bad rap the RS1e has…what a shame, such a beautiful sounding previous model, I just can't understand this. 
confused.gif

Me neither, Joseph.

It is really the headphone that was in my crosshairs.

Bigger drivers....different wood.....better cable.....it had the goods.....or so i thought.  
mad.gif

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #3,134 of 6,729

I have a new pair of RS1e's coming on Thursday.  I'll give them a week or so to prove themselves.  If they don't, back they go, and I'll either get a PS500e or switch from Grado to either a HiFiMan 500 or an HD700.

I hope it doesn't come to that, I've wanted to own an RS1 for a long time.

Jan 21, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #3,135 of 6,729

I have a new pair of RS1e's coming on Thursday.  I'll give them a week or so to prove themselves.  If they don't, back they go, and I'll either get a PS500e or switch from Grado to either a HiFiMan 500 or an HD700.

I hope it doesn't come to that, I've wanted to own an RS1 for a long time.

If it does come to that, why not find a pair of RS1i's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back