Grado e Series
Jan 9, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #2,972 of 6,729
  Can anyone comment on the sound differences between the RS1i, RS1e, and 325i. I debating between the RS1i, RS1e and PS1000 as my next headphones. I currently own the 325i and not sure if I will keep or sell them after I make the next purchase. I am able to audition the PS1000 and RS1e but the used prices for RS1i are pretty damn good. So I am tempted.

Well if your going to choose between an RS1i/PS1K they are both amazing HP's with different sound, so I would demo both and see what you prefer…but you can't go wrong with either! The RS1i would have been my end game HP if I hadn't found the NIB/NOS PS1k for $1210.00. So they are equally good too me, but different from each other, so I take as both being my end game HP's!

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #2,973 of 6,729

Sad but true!...

Just read most of this thread as it relates to the RS1e and well the thread hasn't been very kind. It seems only a few people like the new RS2e but the opinions and details seem to overlap a lot. What I did find interesting is that the PS500e is a better comparison to the RS1i than the RS1e seems to be. So that leads to me to believe that I should be looking at the PS500e and RS1i. 

Did I make the right conclusion? It seems like the PS500e is a lot like the RS1i with the differences being the appearance of the cups and he PS500e having a little more bass and slightly less bright.

At the end of the day, I want an upgrade of the 325i that is more detailed, slightly less bright and as intimate (or more) vocals.

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #2,974 of 6,729
The ps500e should fit the bill but the rs1e isn't as big a disappointment as this thread would have you believe. I really enjoy my pair just as much as my ps500e and if you have the desire to hear full upfront vocal with no sibilance and a nice smooth warm mid bass hump then the rs1e will suit you.

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #2,975 of 6,729
Is it possible that the RS1e have already changed? There appears to be the black headband model and the brown headband model

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #2,976 of 6,729
Just received my 500e today and so far I like them a lot. Tighter soundstage than I am used too. Though the clarity is fantastic, with healthy bass, I haven't heard this kind of clarity since the big SoundLabs.

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #2,977 of 6,729

Just read most of this thread as it relates to the RS1e and well the thread hasn't been very kind. It seems only a few people like the new RS2e but the opinions and details seem to overlap a lot. What I did find interesting is that the PS500e is a better comparison to the RS1i than the RS1e seems to be. So that leads to me to believe that I should be looking at the PS500e and RS1i. 

Did I make the right conclusion? It seems like the PS500e is a lot like the RS1i with the differences being the appearance of the cups and he PS500e having a little more bass and slightly less bright.

At the end of the day, I want an upgrade of the 325i that is more detailed, slightly less bright and as intimate (or more) vocals.

I have the RS2e and believe it's just not that popular, sitting between the 325 and RS1 / PS500. Pretty stiff competition.

I will say I really like them. With a good recording, they sound pretty amazing. Bass comes in nicely with a little volume, but is not a bass monster. What I find impressive the separation between bass and mids. I don't feel there is any bleed over, which for a single driver, is impressive. I don't have anything to compare them to, but hope to try one of the other Grado options in the near future.

For your use, I feel you are pretty much right on. The PS500 def is less bright, but has very positive reviews by most everyone who hears them. I found a video on YouTube comparing the RS1e to the PS500, one brother bought each. They came together to compare and both felt the PS500 was the clear winner between the two, and were very impressed with it.

I'm torn between the PS500e and the GS1000e. Very different options, but curious to hear opinions.

Jan 9, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #2,978 of 6,729
Grado has really made this confusing! I prefer the wood cup look so I am leaning towards the RS1i (used) but at the same time the PS500e sounds very appealing. I suppose I could install wood cups

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #2,979 of 6,729

I don't know if you've read my post, but again, the new e serie, has deeper bass, is slightly less bright, and the mids are more intimate, so I would consider the SR325e.

In my opinion, the SR325e and the PS500e, represent the two extremes in the Grado line, the SR325e more treble oriented, and the PS500e, are more bass oriented.

I think that the logical upgrade from the SR325i, would be the either SR325e, the RS1i, or RS1e.

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #2,980 of 6,729
I agree with Stacker, the 325E is an across the board upgrade from the i series. The RS1i is also going to be an upgrade but of a slightly different flavor. Personally I wouldn't get a RS1e just because of some of the complaints I have heard people have about it not just in terms of sound but comfort as well. All I can say is for me to get another Grado it is going to have to be one heck of a headphone before it can press the 325E into second place.

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #2,981 of 6,729
Is it possible that the RS1e have already changed? There appears to be the black headband model and the brown headband model

Yes, it seens that Grado is listening. The RS1e with the brown headband do have less protruding drivers compare to the early RS1e to lessen the muffled sound. People in the Chinese forums are saying the new brown headband RS1e sounds quite a bit like the original RS1 with button.

There was a like new RS1e ended in ebay for less than $450 a few hours ago (photo shows it already has the less protriding drivers). I couldn't make myself bidding it as if I am looking for the RS1e type of sound, I would be better off buying the Audio Technica AD2000x which has much less bass distortion. It could be just me can't accept the idea of a treble light Grado.

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #2,982 of 6,729
Yes, it seens that Grado is listening. The RS1e with the brown headband do have less protruding drivers compare to the early RS1e to lessen the muffled sound. People in the Chinese forums are saying the new brown headband RS1e sounds quite a bit like the original RS1 with button.

There was a like new RS1e ended in ebay for less than $450 a few hours ago (photo shows it already has the less protriding drivers). I couldn't make myself bidding it as if I am looking for the RS1e type of sound, I would be better off buying the Audio Technica AD2000x which has much less bass distortion. It could be just me can't accept the idea of a treble light Grado.

Grado is building ''Frankensteins'', that's what they're doing.

Some headphones have black headbands, others have tan, some have 1/8'' plug some have 1/4'', some have the old earpads, others have the new ones.

And don't get me started on the headphones that are idetified as ''i'', but have the ''e'' red drivers, so, if you bought them because you prefer the sound of the ''i'', you're screwed!.

I can just imagine how confusing it's going to be, when these Frankeisteins start hitting the used market.

I'm lucky enough to have a Grado dealer close to my home, so I can check the headphones out before I pay for them. and anyway, my dealer asssured me, that they haven't had any problems so far. But the poor guy who buys online, he can't know for sure, exactly what he's going to get.

I suspect that Grado sends the Frankeinsteins to the online dealers. To quote a phrase made famous by Dustin Hoffman in, Rain Man, ''Grados are like a box of chocolate, you never know what you're going to get''

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #2,983 of 6,729
Grado is building ''Frankensteins'', that's what they're doing.

Some headphones have black headbands, others have tan, some have 1/8'' plug some have 1/4'', some have the old earpads, others have the new ones.

And don't get me started on the headphones that are idetified as ''i'', but have the ''e'' red drivers, so, if you bought them because you prefer the sound of the ''i'', you're screwed!.

I can just imagine how confusing it's going to be, when these Frankeisteins start hitting the used market.

I'm lucky enough to have a Grado dealer close to my home, so I can check the headphones out before I pay for them. and anyway, my dealer asssured me, that they haven't had any problems so far. But the poor guy who buys online, he can't know for sure, exactly what he's going to get.

I suspect that Grado sends the Frankeinsteins to the online dealers. To quote a phrase made famous by Dustin Hoffman in, Rain Man, ''Grados are like a box of chocolate, you never know what you're going to get''
Chocolate pizza? Sounds great to me!

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #2,984 of 6,729

I will echo the opinion that ps500 is not an upgrade to sr325. If you want something less bright, try the ms2e or the rs1i.

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #2,985 of 6,729
Yes, it seens that Grado is listening. The RS1e with the brown headband do have less protruding drivers compare to the early RS1e to lessen the muffled sound. 

I don't know about them having less protruding drivers, and I know they are now shipping with black/brown headbands, but I really don't thing Grado has changed the drivers. The different sound some may hear/have with their RS1e's is probably due to Grado's inconsistency.

Quote:
  Grado has really made this confusing! I prefer the wood cup look so I am leaning towards the RS1i (used) but at the same time the PS500e sounds very appealing. I suppose I could install wood cups

I wouldn't recommend buying PS-500's and changing the cup too wood...it's also easier said than done, because the 500's driver housing are also wood, not plastic, so there's a good chance of breaking the driver housings when separating them from the cups.
If you really like the looks of the wood cups, why don't you try the Alessandro MS-Pro? It is equivalent to the RS1 but tuned to be a bit mellower..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back