Grado e Series
Sep 15, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #6,496 of 6,729

Well ... well ... sound experience is different in every person.  I would suggest to try them first.  I have read here many, many times that PS500e are the "dark" side of Grados.  If you are in love with the bright side probably PS500e are not for you.  So, be sure to order it with the choice to return them.  My .02

Dark with TONS of detail. I LOVE them. I like dark phones but the grado ps500e *with G cush* has a thick layer of icing on top (in a good way) with all of the extra detail and wonderful soundstage WITHOUT being bright. 

I was at a headphone meet and was unimpressed with any of the phones there (stax, ether flow, el-8, hd 800 and s version, and a few others) except the LCD2.2 pre fazor (another dark phone). It has creamy bass and midrange and a smooth but recessed top end so yeah I loved it too. The PS500E was as quick as any phone there with bass but lacked the sub bass by a fair margin. However it excels at everything else and NOT one headphone there topped it on rock or jazz music. I heard detail in the guitar rifs that no other headphone there reproduced and it made it seem more real with no odd timbre or any coldness with many of the other headphones there. 

PS500E is my favorite headphone but it's only losing time to the LCD2.2 i just bought only because of the bass and creaminess and I'm just finding out what it is good at. 

PS500E is a great headphone and I still prefer it to everything out there, even the LCD 2 

Sep 15, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #6,497 of 6,729
i actually decided i like my original brushed cup ps1000 more than the ps1000e right now. maybe because the ps1000 has many,many more hours on it. maybe something about more room for the driver in the enclosure. have no idea. i know just a very few people feel this way. bet i will like the e better when it breaks in way more but don't know that either. this is subjective though at best. it is not like they are completely different phones even though 40mm vs 50mm. that really does not mean much in this case. i know others think the e is vastly better given the same general sound signature though. maybe i just like the brushed cups better lol. either way these are my favorite headphones bar none. sure, there are more articulate, more refined headphones but this is what i enjoy to listen to. i even like the rs1 and sr325 i just like grado! maybe not so much the sr60 though......

Sep 25, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #6,500 of 6,729
  PS500E with G cush need more love. They are amazing. 

I want to audition that pairing. Highly unlikely I will get to though, since not many stores will hold a run in pair. Then be kind enough to let me use a new pair of G-pads. I think not, anyway.

(Heart sobs.
tongue.gif
)

Sep 25, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #6,501 of 6,729
I want to audition that pairing. Highly unlikely I will get to though, since not many stores will hold a run in pair. Then be kind enough to let me use a new pair of G-pads. I think not, anyway.

(Heart sobs. :p )

I compared the PS500 with L bowls to the PS 500 with G Cush, as well as the PS 1000. The addition of,the G Cush, for me, made some things better and some things worse, with overall results about the same. But I really felt the PS 500 with G Cush approached the PS1000.

Here, higher numbers are better.

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #6,505 of 6,729
I just tried some after market G-cushion on my MS2e. It bring the drivers approximately 6mm away further from the ear. I like the sound a bit more as there are more separations between instrument in the music I listen to now.... more 3D!

Nov 18, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #6,507 of 6,729
Shameless plug warning. I have an RS2e for sale, that's been slow to sell, if anyone is thinking about buying one.

Nov 28, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #6,508 of 6,729
Would the SR80e be a good complimentary headphone to the HD650? Used to have the 225i and miss the house sound, which I am in the mood for on occasion. 

Nov 28, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #6,509 of 6,729
  Would the SR80e be a good complimentary headphone to the HD650? Used to have the 225i and miss the house sound, which I am in the mood for on occasion. 

I haven't heard the 80e but I've heard the 80 and have owned the 80i for about 4yrs (which I gifted away) and you can't get any closer to the Grado sound IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back