Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone?
Jul 1, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #708 of 771
OK, it still needs a coat of wax and I'm researching adhesives for fixing the glass into the base but this is how to stand your Grado Bushmills.

Just think how beautiful the golden Bushmills whiskey will look against the headphone once you fill the bottle!

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #711 of 771
If any of you Grado Bushmills owners are still following this, I wonder if someone can advise me. I love mine, they sounded great straight out the box, seem better with the yellow Senn pads but sound weak and hollow with my ripoff G-cushions from China. Is this because they aren't genuine or because they don't suit the cans? I don't waste money on the genuine article if they aren't going to work.

Also, Schiit Lyr 2 with Amperex Bugle Boys drives these cans beautifully.

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #712 of 771
Grados sound best with Grado pads. It is worth the difference in cost. Furthermore, the Bushmills X are designed to have the flats (like the SR125e), not the G cushions. So your Bushmills is laboring under a double whammy...non Grado pads and wrong-sized pads. Only about one model of Grado is improved by replacing its stock pad with the G Cush, and that is the GH1.

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #713 of 771
Grados sound best with Grado pads. It is worth the difference in cost. Furthermore, the Bushmills X are designed to have the flats (like the SR125e), not the G cushions. So your Bushmills is laboring under a double whammy...non Grado pads and wrong-sized pads. Only about one model of Grado is improved by replacing its stock pad with the G Cush, and that is the GH1.

Subjective much?

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #714 of 771
Jul 14, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #715 of 771
Just think how beautiful the golden Bushmills whiskey will look against the headphone once you fill the bottle!

The following is in keepind with the saying, ''have your cake and eat it too''.

You see, I tend to ''eliminate'' almost twice as much as I drink, wich means that I could drink all of that wonderful tasting gold liquid, and replace it, with some not so wonderful tasting gold liquid.
wink.gif

If any of you Grado Bushmills owners are still following this, I wonder if someone can advise me. I love mine, they sounded great straight out the box, seem better with the yellow Senn pads but sound weak and hollow with my ripoff G-cushions from China. Is this because they aren't genuine or because they don't suit the cans? I don't waste money on the genuine article if they aren't going to work.

Also, Schiit Lyr 2 with Amperex Bugle Boys drives these cans beautifully.

Contrary to John, I have the Grado G-cush on my Bushmills, and I'm very satisfied with the sound quality. I find that the Bushmills's bass is deep enough, and their treble polite enough to be a good match for the Gs.

Jul 14, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #716 of 771
Contrary to John, I have the Grado G-cush on my Bushmills, and I'm very satisfied with the sound quality. I find that the Bushmills's bass is deep enough, and their treble polite enough to be a good match for the Gs.
[/quote]
The following is in keepind with the saying, ''have your cake and eat it too''.

You see, I tend to ''eliminate'' almost twice as much as I drink, wich means that I could drink all of that wonderful tasting gold liquid, and replace it, with some not so wonderful tasting gold liquid.:wink:

Mine aren't genuine Grado G-cushions and they cans only sound right if I push them towards my ears. I'm wondering if the genuine article is softer?

Jul 15, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #717 of 771
Mine aren't genuine Grado G-cushions and they cans only sound right if I push them towards my ears. I'm wondering if the genuine article is softer?[/quote]

I've always bought genuine Grado earpads, so I don't know wich is softer, sorry!

Jul 15, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #718 of 771
Mine aren't genuine Grado G-cushions and they cans only sound right if I push them towards my ears. I'm wondering if the genuine article is softer?[/quote]

Agrred, I also felt that my Bushmills sounded better with G-cush pads instead of the stock flats.

Jul 15, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #719 of 771

Agrred, I also felt that my Bushmills sounded better with G-cush pads instead of the stock flats.

In my opinion, I think that this, ''all fits all'' aproach on Grado's part, is great!  Being able to tweak the sound, so easily, and so quickly, is a huge advantage.

I might burn in hell for this, but I have swapped the earpads on 4 of my 6 pairs of Grados.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 18, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #720 of 771

In my opinion, I think that this, ''all fits all'' aproach on Grado's part, is great!  Being able to tweak the sound, so easily, and so quickly, is a huge advantage.

I might burn in hell for this, but I have swapped the earpads on 4 of my 6 pairs of Grados.
evil_smiley.gif

Always great to experiment, I keep swapping between G and L cush pads on my Grados. There are certain genres of music that sound better with G or L cush pads, just swapped to L cush pads on my GH1 and rocking to some R&B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back