Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone?
Jan 2, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #751 of 771
Picked up my first pair of Bushmills from IndieGradoFan.  I like these Bushmills.  I didn't really know what to expect as I was not too familiar with this specific headphone.  Just showed up in the classifieds and I knew it was rare to find one so I snatched it up.  I might get around to playing around with other pads or the quarter mod, but for now the yellow pads are going to be it. 

In my limited Grado experience, I place them somewhere like this for my preferences:   PS1K > GH-1 > PS500 > HF2 > Bushmills > SR80 pink drivers > 225i/e > SR80e   

Would like to eventually get the HF-2 and GH-1 back in the rotation, but I can see these Bushmills getting a lot of Summer work out in the backyard enjoying a BBQ in a nice lounge chair.  

Regarding the yellow pads, the original pads for the Bushmills are the S-Cush (comfy) pads (same as on the SR 60/80 etc.). Congrats on your purchase.

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #752 of 771
I did read earlier in the thread your mention about the frailty of the vents.  I definitely will not be falling asleep with these as I do tend to cause the headband end to come loose of their block after too many sleep sessions.

Quote:
Congratulations!

Be VERY careful not to squeeze or place pressure on the edges of the mushroom caps around the edge...the vents from this semi closed headphones are under the edge, removing much of the wood that would support the edge, and especially for older wood, it can crack or chip..

I do have the original S-cush that came with the Bushmills.  I'm just trying out the yellow ear pads.  Initially, I think I prefer the yellow pads, but I would need to do more testing to pinpoint why.  I'm thinking more treble energy, but I need more listening time.  Not sure I want to pick up a pair of G cush quite yet.  I could try the L cush I have from my 225e. 

Regarding the yellow pads, the original pads for the Bushmills are the S-Cush (comfy) pads (same as on the SR 60/80 etc.). Congrats on your purchase.

Jan 2, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #753 of 771
I do have the original S-cush that came with the Bushmills.  I'm just trying out the yellow ear pads.  Initially, I think I prefer the yellow pads, but I would need to do more testing to pinpoint why.  I'm thinking more treble energy, but I need more listening time.  Not sure I want to pick up a pair of G cush quite yet.  I could try the L cush I have from my 225e. 

I like the L-Cush with the Bushmills. I tried the G Cush but I didn't think they worked too well, not awful but not as focused as the L Cush.

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #754 of 771
Hello! 

I was a bit curious if anyone has had a chance to compare them with Ultrasone Sig Dj or with HD800 or with H650 - so I can understand a term of comparation 
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #755 of 771
I like the L-Cush with the Bushmills. I tried the G Cush but I didn't think they worked too well, not awful but not as focused as the L Cush.

I have tried all 4 Grado earpads, and I ended up preferring theTTVJ flats for my Bushmills.

By the way, I bought mine new, and at $395, for some low production well presented special edition headphones, that even come with a carrying bag made the Bushmills, a major no brainer.

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #758 of 771
Thank you! 

How is the soundstage in comparation ? 

Also, how is the treble / bass ratio?

I had my Sennheisers for many years before I was given a pair of 325s for Christmas. At first the Grado's sounded all wrong, too bright and too forward in the mids. However, after a while they seemed just right and switching back to the Senns has me wondering why everything is now dark and bass heavy. The Bushmills do all that treble and midrange detail but with lovely and tuneful bass too. Maybe the best of both worlds?

The Sennheisers are more relaxing, the Grados are more fun. As for soundstage, Sennheisers put it all in front of you whilst the Grados will have you sitting smack bang in the middle of the band.

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #759 of 771
I had my Sennheisers for many years before I was given a pair of 325s for Christmas. At first the Grado's sounded all wrong, too bright and too forward in the mids. However, after a while they seemed just right and switching back to the Senns has me wondering why everything is now dark and bass heavy. The Bushmills do all that treble and midrange detail but with lovely and tuneful bass too. Maybe the best of both worlds?

The Sennheisers are more relaxing, the Grados are more fun. As for soundstage, Sennheisers put it all in front of you whilst the Grados will have you sitting smack bang in the middle of the band.

Thank you for your detailed impressions! 

This is quite handy ! 

Do Bushmills isolate at all? 
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #761 of 771
Not really, the cups are vented and the backs just seem to increase the bass from the drivers.

I see... That is not so optimal for me as I actually needed closed back headphones that isolate. Kinda like a better version or replacement for my Dj One Pro. http://www.head-fi.org/products/ultrasone-dj1-pro/reviews/17937

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #763 of 771
A pair Grado Bushmills has gone on eBay here in the U.K., where they were never officially sold, for £750, which is $933. It's funny, whilst I couldn't afford to pay that much for a pair, I wouldn't part with mine for twice that, they have become far and away my favourite cans.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282420126077

Apr 27, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #764 of 771
A pair Grado Bushmills has gone on eBay here in the U.K., where they were never officially sold, for £750, which is $933. It's funny, whilst I couldn't afford to pay that much for a pair, I wouldn't part with mine for twice that, they have become far and away my favourite cans.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282420126077

Glad to hear you're enjoying them so much!

Apr 13, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #765 of 771
I picked up a brand new pair of Bushmills this week, been waiting over 6 years for a pair of these.

Curious, has anyone installed a removable cable mod to these? Can it be done safely given the different pieces of wood to the cup?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back