Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone?
Feb 5, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #691 of 771

Just to be clear, the title of this thread is erroneous, the Bushmills are not closed, they're vented. Also, there are 4 different kinds of Grado earpads.

1) - The S-cush, a.k.a. comfies,

2) - The L-cush,

3) - The G-cush.

All of the above come as standard equipment on the current Grado line.

4) - The Flats, wich used to come stock on vintage Grados. The limited edition HP1000, and if I'm not mistaking, the RS1 also used to come with Flats.

From what I've read, TTVJ (Todd The Vinyl Junkie) has bought the remaining Flats that were left in Grado's inventory. They have a tendency to boost bass responce, and reduce treble extension.

Hope this helps.
beerchug.gif

Question... what is the difference between #1 S cushion ("comfies") and #4 Flats?

Answer (partial)... one has a hole in the middle, as used on the HP1000 and RS1 with buttons; one does not have a hole in the middle, as used on the current SR60e, SR80e, and SR125e.

Feb 5, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #692 of 771

Just to be clear, the title of this thread is erroneous, the Bushmills are not closed, they're vented. Also, there are 4 different kinds of Grado earpads.

Hope this helps.
beerchug.gif

Ditto... the Bushmills X is "semiclosed."  It has a thin wood lip around the ear-facing edge of that top that provides an opening.  That lip is VERY FRAGILE... less than 1/8" of dried wood.  It can crack and break off:

Grado can and HAS fixed them, beautifully (I think by replacing BOTH cups!!)

Handle your Bushmills VERY CAREFULLY!!!!!

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #694 of 771
Just discovered that these exist, excuse my ignorance but is there an outlet to buy these anywhere?

No, they were a limited run of I think 125 pairs that ended a few years ago.

However, @furjim has a pair for sale here, under Sales and Trade forum.

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #695 of 771
No, they were a limited run of I think 125 pairs that ended a few years ago.

However, @furjim has a pair for sale here, under Sales and Trade forum.

I thought that Grado had produced 250 pairs of Bushmills .

Where did you get 125 from, John?

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #696 of 771

This is what I recall being told by TurnTable Labs, who was the exclusive provider of the Bushmills (to this date they still show the Bushmills on the web page, here, and they express the hope of receiving another shipment(!)

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #697 of 771
The price for the pair for sale on here seems a little steep, I paid £220 on eBay for mine and they were very much as new. Or did I get a bargain?

Either way, I'm hooked. I'm now reading threads about wood cups for Grado, Ypsilon and Magnum drivers that have got me thinking about where to find the money for a project of my own.

While I wait, Sean Oldham's tapping on cymbals on The Delines' sublime 'Colfax Avenue' now has added dimension and texture - these really are outstanding cans.

Feb 7, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #699 of 771

This is what I recall being told by TurnTable Labs, who was the exclusive provider of the Bushmills (to this date they still show the Bushmills on the web page, here, and they express the hope of receiving another shipment(!)

Maybe it's the meds, but I just looked, and I didn't see where they say that there were 125 pairs produced.
redface.gif

The price for the pair for sale on here seems a little steep, I paid £220 on eBay for mine and they were very much as new. Or did I get a bargain?

Either way, I'm hooked. I'm now reading threads about wood cups for Grado, Ypsilon and Magnum drivers that have got me thinking about where to find the money for a project of my own.

While I wait, Sean Oldham's tapping on cymbals on The Delines' sublime 'Colfax Avenue' now has added dimension and texture - these really are outstanding cans.

In my opinion, you did get a bargain. A few days after Turntable Lab ran out of stock, a smart guy, posted his second pair of Bushmills up for sale on Flea-Bay, and they sold for the ''Buy it now'' price of $800.
eek.gif

Feb 7, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #700 of 771
Maybe it's the meds, but I just looked, and I didn't see where they say that there were 125 pairs produced. :xf_eek:

In my opinion, you did get a bargain. A few days after Turntable Lab ran out of stock, a smart guy, posted his second pair of Bushmills up for sale on Flea-Bay, and they sold for the ''Buy it now'' price of $800.:eek:

This was what I was TOLD by Turntable when I called to inquire about their ad.

Feb 8, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #702 of 771
Assuming these contain similar drivers to my 325s (not e), where should I look in the Grado range for different presentation? Headphones for me are all about looking into the music from different angles. I already own and enjoy pairs of Sennhiesser HD600, Audeze LCD2 and the two Grados - amplified through a modded X-Can V3 and a Little Dot Mk III with nos Russian rocket valves.

Feb 8, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #703 of 771
This was what I was TOLD by Turntable when I called to inquire about their ad.

Hmmm! ok, I'm sure that a Trooper had posted that there were 250 Bushmills produced. I can't remember who it was, or where he got his number from, though!

Alright so 125 it is then!
rolleyes.gif

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #704 of 771
Hmmm! ok, I'm sure that a Trooper had posted that there were 250 Bushmills produced. I can't remember who it was, or where he got his number from, though!

Alright so 125 it is then! :rolleyes:

The folks at Turntable Labs said that there was talk of doing another run, presumably bring the total up to 250, but it hadn't happened.

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #705 of 771
The folks at Turntable Labs said that there was talk of doing another run, presumably bring the total up to 250, but it hadn't happened.

Ok, so this means that the Bushmills aren't rare, they're ULTRA rare!
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back