got the m50's....what now?
Aug 8, 2011 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

moey

New Head-Fier
Hi

i bought my ath-m50 cans for $180 about 6 months or so ago (costly due to australian prices etc etc). From these, what would another good all-rounder headphone be? I'm looking to go up in quality, and a  i need to trust you guys to suggest one as there are not many accessible headphone shops where i live. 

In short, what did you get/ what do you recommend after the m50's? they've done a great job, but somehow i'm still unsatisfied.

-needs portbility
-that's about all

thanks

Aug 8, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #2 of 15
Buy a good source. Cowon, Sansa
Save up $500
Buy a amp, desktop or portable
Buy a can that needs amping

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 15
Aug 8, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 15
Ultrasone is the way to go, definitely...

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
bump, anyone have other suggestions?

Well,

You said it leaves you unsatisfied. In what way??

Give us info. Otherwise, you're going to get flavor of the month and personal suggestions. Nothing that at all represents something that you may want, since you didn't really give us any information that gives us an idea of what you're looking for other than "all rounder." Well, some people like all rounders that are bassy, some like analytical all rounders. It's still a very relative thing to say. So tell us more about your taste and music selection?

Very best,

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #9 of 15
Aug 11, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #10 of 15
Well,

You said it leaves you unsatisfied. In what way??

Give us info. Otherwise, you're going to get flavor of the month and personal suggestions. Nothing that at all represents something that you may want, since you didn't really give us any information that gives us an idea of what you're looking for other than "all rounder." Well, some people like all rounders that are bassy, some like analytical all rounders. It's still a very relative thing to say. So tell us more about your taste and music selection?

Very best,

well, it's hard to explain. In a nutshell, everything seems too muted and unclear for me. I want more distinct and defined tones. The type of music I listen to.. I want to hear my dubstep beats clearly, but whenever a nice jazz or acoustic thrum comes up, I don't want the quality to suffer.
Is that enough or not? All in all, im after music clarity.

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
well, it's hard to explain. In a nutshell, everything seems too muted and unclear for me. I want more distinct and defined tones. The type of music I listen to.. I want to hear my dubstep beats clearly, but whenever a nice jazz or acoustic thrum comes up, I don't want the quality to suffer.

You want a detail headphone with some impact/bass.

Ultrasone HFI 580. BeyerDynamic DT770.

Or save up, and get ready for the Ultrasone Pro 900.

Very best,

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #12 of 15

Quote:

Sounds like another potential HFI-580 user lured into the M50s to me :)

Either that, or the HD25.

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #13 of 15
In my experience the portable amp isn't really a practical idea, it's gonna require you wearing some cloth with large pocket which is not nice during summers, and the bundle of amp + player it's pretty heavy in my experience. Sooner or later you would probably dive in to the desktop system once you experience the magic of em. At least for me I've given up on pursuing the portable rig, knowing that would never get close to my system so why bother : ) although back to the topic, there are very few choices in the mid-fi full size products that can be used for portable. Pro 900 could be the one, or some Audio-techinica ESW9, 10jpn or alike. Shure has something nice too. 

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
In my experience the portable amp isn't really a practical idea, it's gonna require you wearing some cloth with large pocket which is not nice during summers, and the bundle of amp + player it's pretty heavy in my experience. Sooner or later you would probably dive in to the desktop system once you experience the magic of em. At least for me I've given up on pursuing the portable rig, knowing that would never get close to my system so why bother : ) although back to the topic, there are very few choices in the mid-fi full size products that can be used for portable. Pro 900 could be the one, or some Audio-techinica ESW9, 10jpn or alike. Shure has something nice too. 

Pro 900 & SRH940.

Doesn't even take much to power them.

Great for portable use and desktop use.

Very best,

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #15 of 15
Oh, the sony Z1000 looks very very promising! I might get on myself, for only $376.. on Amazon .... Although I wonder how's that extra bass version gonna affect the sound described in the headphonia review. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back