Got the HD600s (formerly pulling the trigger thread)
Jul 1, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #106 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to start either drinking or 'smoking' while you listen......

Trust me, when it comes to listening in altered states, I have all the bases covered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may be the oddball, but I always appreciated the O2 far more out of the 007t tube driver than either the 717 or KGSS. The solid state amps give it that little extra speed and ultra-resolution, but at the expense of some of its tonal richness. O2 out of 007t remains the best amp and headphone combo i've heard.

But unfortunately, i'm not a rich man, so I'll make do with my dynamics in the meanwhile
smily_headphones1.gif

No oddballery here, I don't like solid state either. I'm driving mine with an SRD-7 Pro out of a pair of Dared VP-20 monoblocks; they're all tube. In fact, everything I listen to is pretty much all tube.

Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't stop on my account. I like evil people
biggrin.gif
I just have to stay away from people with O2s until I have the cash to buy one on the spot. I have a good feeling they will really be the bomb! My friend with similar tastes has heard the O2s and the word he used for them was PIMP! This was at headfest in San Jose where the only other PIMP setup he heard was the R10 on the Apache. This friend of mine also has hd600s by the way (Old Version) and likes them a lot.

Hah. Well, I'm only being evil since it seems that we have very similar tastes in headphones. So, I'm just tossing out stuff that I like to give you ideas for potential future upgrades.

On that note - a balanced HD650 will go a long way, too.

Jul 1, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #107 of 204
Thanks Catscratch for the great advice,

Malos also suggested similar things for the hd600 lover (to go to Stax).

I'm basically back to step one coming from ad2000s then back to the cheaper hd600s then loving them more
biggrin.gif
My Glite with DPS is still due to arrive. Hope they pair well with the hd600s. This system is going to be enjoyed, cable upgrades here and there... maybe get a dac for my cdp... then maybe, just maybe I get the balaced 650 or the next sennheiser king or go directly to O2s.

This will not be until a while though as I feel the hd600s although not perfect are nourishing me with its flavourful sound.

Jul 2, 2008 at 9:44 AM Post #108 of 204
Just for the heck of it, I tried eqing my sr60 on my laptop to have the tonality of the hd600 to see if I get some sort of soundstage hehehe. I got the sound quite similar in tonality but still no soundstage.

I guess its the circumaural aspect of the hd600 making it feel like there is a soundstage???

Jul 2, 2008 at 9:49 AM Post #109 of 204
Quote:

Just for the heck of it, I tried eqing my sr60 on my laptop to have the tonality of the hd600 to see if I get some sort of soundstage hehehe. I got the sound quite similar in tonality but still no soundstage.

I guess its the circumaural aspect of the hd600 making it feel like there is a soundstage???

I wouldnt go that far. SR60 has no soundstage. When run by top-notch amplification, it manages decent layering, but *still* has no soundstage to speak of.

HD600 isnt all that big soundstage-wise either, but it certainly manages it better than any Grado I ever heard. Josh Groban - To Where You Are lets you hear his voice reverberate throughout a concert-hallesque soundstage that can be really eye-opening coming from the more forward cans.

Jul 2, 2008 at 11:27 AM Post #111 of 204
I asked this is in the HD600 appreciation thread as well. But it's a major concern of mine.
How are the HD600 with sibilance?
For my taste, the HD580 (older version) are too sibilant.
Do the HD600 improve on that?
There must be other non-sibilant cans besides the AKG K400, I hope.

Jul 2, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #112 of 204
i've never heard the hd580s nor akg 400, but i dont think sibilance is a huge problem with the hd600s. Especially if you pair them up with warm sources or amps. To me, their treble has a slight warm tinge/fuzz and that makes them less harsh compared to many other cans i heard eg dt880, grados. They are also not very thin/sharp sounding, and vocals arent placed too close, and that makes them even less sibilant. I think it would take bright/harsh sources to make them sharp and sibilant.

If youre absolutely sensitive to sibilance, or want to be on the absolute safe side, maybe you could try the hd650s instead.

Jul 2, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #113 of 204
I only have a Mini^3 as an amp for my HD600s (shameful I know), but whenever certain songs accentuate any sibilance (in most I don't notice any at all), I just turn turn higher frequencies down one or two points and it's all gone. Certainly nothing significant for me anyway, and I'm fairly averse to sibilance.

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #114 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked this is in the HD600 appreciation thread as well. But it's a major concern of mine.
How are the HD600 with sibilance?
For my taste, the HD580 (older version) are too sibilant.
Do the HD600 improve on that?
There must be other non-sibilant cans besides the AKG K400, I hope.

I'm not sure what is out there that is smoother and less sibilant than the HD600. With that said, the differences between the 600 and the 580 are cosmetic only. If the 580s bothered you, the 600s will as well.

Tim

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #115 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure what is out there that is smoother and less sibilant than the HD600. With that said, the differences between the 600 and the 580 are cosmetic only. If the 580s bothered you, the 600s will as well.

Tim

I highly disagree that the difference between the hd600 and the hd580 are just cosmetic. But I do agree, if you do not like the 580's then you will not like the 600's as well since they both have the same Sennheiser sound signature.

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #116 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enthusia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I highly disagree that the difference between the hd600 and the hd580 are just cosmetic. But I do agree, if you do not like the 580's then you will not like the 600's as well since they both have the same Sennheiser sound signature.

I do like the sound of the HD580 a lot, except for the sibilance.
I know at least two other headfi-ers who had the same issue with them.

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #117 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enthusia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Then you have very sensitive ears that can hear the difference between the reflections off of screens on the backs of the earphones, because that is the only difference that could possibly impact the sound. Otherwise, they are functionally identical - same drivers, same wire, same cups and chambers and foam....same cans.

Tim

Jul 2, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #118 of 204
The hd600 also supposedly has computer optimized drivers while the 580s do not??? Read the comparison in stereophile a while back. Here It Is
Stereophile: Sennheiser HD 600 headphones

Just for the heck of it heres a stax omega2 review that mentions a quick comparison between them and the hd600.

Stereophile: Stax SR-007 Omega II electrostatic headphones

About the sibilance, you hear all the sibilance in the recording with the hd600s but the headphones themselves arent sibilant. My grado sr60s for example has less sibilance maybe because it has less information in the sibilance region.

Jul 3, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #119 of 204
Quote:

The hd600 also supposedly has computer optimized drivers while the 580s do not???

Replacement drivers for the 580 and 600 have the same part number (49294). That is, they are exactly the same drivers.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/wha...-hd600-322065/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back