Got the HD600s (formerly pulling the trigger thread)
Jun 30, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #76 of 204
Funny how you explain the different sounds, without hearing either, I would assume that the punchier ad2k would sound more fun than the darker hd600, but there you go, I guess it doesn't, at least not for everyone
tongue.gif

HD600 sounds like a real nice can, I believe I've heard it has tighter bass than the HD650, how do the HD600's do with rock, most preferably faster rock, maybe metal? I don't know if you're into that type of music, but that's a lot of the type of music I listen to
redface.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #77 of 204
Congratulations, you have discovered the secret of life, the key to enlightenment, the pot at the end of the rainbow. Or at least that's the way it feels right now as I listen to Rhythm of the Saints through average, at best, source and amp, into my lovely, warm, smooth, sweet forgiving HD580s. I like "film like," by the way. Excellent analogy.

Oh yeah -- I have the older 580s, but I assure you, the difference between my 580s and your new 600s is not the color of the silk. It's about 10,000 hours...

Tim

Jun 30, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #78 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Citizen86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny how you explain the different sounds, without hearing either, I would assume that the punchier ad2k would sound more fun than the darker hd600, but there you go, I guess it doesn't, at least not for everyone
tongue.gif

HD600 sounds like a real nice can, I believe I've heard it has tighter bass than the HD650, how do the HD600's do with rock, most preferably faster rock, maybe metal? I don't know if you're into that type of music, but that's a lot of the type of music I listen to
redface.gif

They're competent but not excellent. I listen to a lot of metal and hardcore with my HD580s, and while it doesn't sound bad, in any sense, there's not enough lively punchiness for them to really excel. They handle other genres beautifully though, and like I said, they're not bad at metal, just not particularly good at it.

Jun 30, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #79 of 204
well, i know they are not in the same price level, but to me the hd600s blow the sr60 away for metal. I like the senn sig more. dream theater is so much better on the hd600s
biggrin.gif
. more relaxed yet layered and engaging at the same time. I just love the hd600s balance no matter what music I throw at them. I'll listen to my reign in blood cd by slayer later and give more impressions.

Jun 30, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #80 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah -- I have the older 580s, but I assure you, the difference between my 580s and your new 600s is not the color of the silk. It's about 10,000 hours...

Tim

Heres my old baby. Its only a decoration right now. Its pretty much dead.

5801-1.jpg

Jul 1, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #81 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heres my old baby. Its only a decoration right now. Its pretty much dead.

5801-1.jpg

What a horrible image! Like looking at a picture of a gutted supermodel!

Tim

Jul 1, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #83 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, i know they are not in the same price level, but to me the hd600s blow the sr60 away for metal. I like the senn sig more. dream theater is so much better on the hd600s
biggrin.gif
. more relaxed yet layered and engaging at the same time.

For symphonic metal, particularly Dream Theatre the HD600 is indeed excellent, but when it comes to heavier stuff you begin to wish the senns had a bit more grunt and slam to them. Metallica is merely good on HD600, for instance. Its my only major beef with the 'phones.

Jul 1, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #84 of 204
Comparing them to the sr60s, I think the hd600s might do better than other cans like grado for slower rock, but for faster rock they lack slam and aggression, and also has a recessed midrange when compared to grados.

Overall hd600 is much better than sr60s because sr60 lacks severely especially in the lower bass department, but i'm guessing that the higher end grados would keep all the general sound sig of the sr60 and improve upon everything of it.

Jul 1, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #85 of 204
about the recessed mids part, I don't agree that the hd600s are recessed. they are just right. The sr60s mids are more recessed IMO. I guess it depends on what part of the mids we are talking about though.

Jul 1, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #86 of 204
To me, at lower listening volumes i think hd600's midrange definitely sounds more recessed than the sr60's midrange. At moderate to moderate high volumes its not recessed though.

Although, since the hd600s are not harsh like the grados i find myself able to listen to them for a long period of time at moderate to higher volumes without feeling ear pains or anything. I start to worry about my hearing though.

Jul 1, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #87 of 204
I think the 580/600 mids are beautiful. I'm not familiar with Grados (heard a pair once years ago) but if they are much more aggressive and forward, they would probably sound too hot and bright to me. And I don't find them to be slow. Granted, there's no speed metal in my house, but there is a full collection of mid-70s King Crimson, ( not to mention Mahavishnu Orchestra, plus a copy of Santana's Lotus and Zappa's Shut Up and Play Your Guitar). Not metal, but definitely heavy. I think most metal acts should listen to Red, Starless and Bible Black and Larks Tongues in Aspic...and be humbled.

Tim

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #88 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I don't find them to be slow. Granted, there's no speed metal in my house, but there is a full collection of mid-70s King Crimson, ( not to mention Mahavishnu Orchestra, plus a copy of Santana's Lotus and Zappa's Shut Up and Play Your Guitar). Not metal, but definitely heavy. I think most metal acts should listen to Red, Starless and Bible Black and Larks Tongues in Aspic...and be humbled.

Tim

Listen to any single-ended Senns with Dissection, Nile, Cryptopsy, heck, just any plain fast and dense symphonic piece like Stravinsky's Petrouchka or very dense, complex electronica like Shpongle's "Tales of the Inexpressible..." the Senns just can't keep up. Microdetail goes out of the window, images start to blur and lose definition, air and space around instruments disintegrates, etc...

This isn't just the Senns; most dynamic heaphones have a speed ceiling that they have a very hard time going beyond. Not all music out there will push them to that limit, in fact most music won't, but a lot of the stuff I happen to listen to will, and I really have a hard time liking most single-ended dynamics because of it.

Balanced drive improves things quite a bit, but still not up to the level of a planar headphone. But, in balanced drive, Senn speed is palatable, and definitely in the upper echelon of dynamic drivers.

This is what I mean when I claim Senns are slow. By contrast, on an electrostat, no matter how much you overload it with massively dense and complex music, it never loses sight of each and every instrument. Microdetail, imaging, air and space around each instrument, tone, texture, all stay consistent throughout. Listening to a death metal drummer blastbeating at 20 beats per second and hearing the shimmer on each cymbal and the reverberations inside each drum is pretty mesmerizing.

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #89 of 204
true true electrostats could be faster but I'm so happy right now with the hd600s, I've lost the feeling of upgradeitus! I hope this keeps up so that I can continue enjoying music for all its glory without thinking about sound anymore.
biggrin.gif

I love this feeling. I Feel like a virgin to audio again hehehe

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #90 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Namrac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're competent but not excellent. I listen to a lot of metal and hardcore with my HD580s, and while it doesn't sound bad, in any sense, there's not enough lively punchiness for them to really excel. They handle other genres beautifully though, and like I said, they're not bad at metal, just not particularly good at it.

Actually, they aren't bad at metal and hardcore. They are good at it. That is the problem. Your music is just recorded like ****, that's all. You are just hearing more ****.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back