Got the HD600s (formerly pulling the trigger thread)
Jun 27, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #46 of 204
Hm, not sure about what amp you should get (preferably somethig neutral though), but the fact that you don't seem to be getting enough slam and impact out of the HD600 sounds to me like you don't have enough power behind them. This is an aggressive, impactful headphone. It shouldn't sound laid-back or relaxed at all.

Which just means that there's more in store, and it's only going to get better with real power behind it.

Re the SR-003: yes, there is a definite tonal similarity there. Both possess a certain tonal accuracy. I'd say that the HD600 is more tonally accurate, but the SR-003 is faster and more detailed. The O2 is in many ways an electrostatic HD600, so if you can "try" that, you'll probably find your ultimate headphone.

Jun 27, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #47 of 204
I didn't say I'm not getting enough slam/impact. I was just saying that the ad2000 has ridiculous slam and impact which is unrealistic compared to the hd600s more neutral slam. You will know what I mean if you've listened to the ad2k. It calls attention to itself with its impact.

Jun 28, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #48 of 204
The HD 600 is a fine headphone and a very good choice. Even the HD 595 is good too.

chewie0ol.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #49 of 204
Yes, the 595 was good but i itched to get something else still the moment i got them. The ad2000s diverted me in giving more impact the 595s lacked but there were things the 595s were more natural sounding with....

Then comes the hd600. Its over, It does what both of them do right.

Jun 28, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #50 of 204
I was wondering why your AD2K went up for sale, I remember you being quite pleased with them when you got them. Now i know why
smily_headphones1.gif

I put my HD600 up for sale after hearing a Denon D2000, purely on the basis that the bass slam on the Denons was incredibly satisfying with my metal/rock material. But i'm going to retract that sale methinks, because I know what you mean when you remark on the naturalness and 'creamy' presentation of the HD600 (nice term btw
smily_headphones1.gif
), that I still havent heard another headphone pull off quite so well.

They have an ability to sound good with anything, and while they may not be perfect at some aspects, such as bass slam and tightness, they dont possess any unforgivable flaws, and manage to sound musical and pleasing regardless of whats thrown at them. Thats something that not many headphones can boast.

Jun 28, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #51 of 204
The slam on the ad2000 is also much more than the hd600s as ive written on my impressions but I feel it is not natural. I wouldnt want any more artificial slam added to the hd600.

By the way, do you also have the newer hd600 with the white silvery material inside?

Jun 28, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #52 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, do you also have the newer hd600 with the white silvery material inside?

I wasnt aware there were 'versions' of the HD600. Where is the white material supposed to be? Here's a side pic of the grills on mine:

Image019-1.jpg

Jun 28, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #53 of 204
DSCI5097.jpg

DSCI5098.jpg

Here is a reflection of the white material inside. Gradofan2 describes the difference in sound quality with this and the ones with black inside in his thread somewhere

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #55 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering why your AD2K went up for sale, I remember you being quite pleased with them when you got them. Now i know why
smily_headphones1.gif

I put my HD600 up for sale after hearing a Denon D2000, purely on the basis that the bass slam on the Denons was incredibly satisfying with my metal/rock material. But i'm going to retract that sale methinks, because I know what you mean when you remark on the naturalness and 'creamy' presentation of the HD600 (nice term btw
smily_headphones1.gif
), that I still havent heard another headphone pull off quite so well.

They have an ability to sound good with anything, and while they may not be perfect at some aspects, such as bass slam and tightness, they dont possess any unforgivable flaws, and manage to sound musical and pleasing regardless of whats thrown at them. Thats something that not many headphones can boast.

Everyone needs to have an HD600 laying around as a reference can
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #56 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everyone needs to have an HD600 laying around as a reference can
smily_headphones1.gif

Ditto. It may not be the best headphone out there but it's just tonally right, and neutral enough to tell you exactly what your system is doing.

That's why I'm keeping mine forever, and probably getting another when this one conks out (right channel's getting a bit weak so that probably won't have to wait long). When I want to hear what my source is doing, it's time for the HD600.

Well, I lie. The O2 does the same thing. But until I got it, the HD600 was the most tonally accurate headphone I had lying around.

The HD650 is better in a high-end system, but it still doesn't have the truthfullness of the HD600.

Now, if only it was faster, and had better imaging/instrument separation. Even when balanced, it can't match the impulse response of a balanced HD650 or its instrument separation, never mind those of an electrostat. I really hope that Sennheiser, whenever they get around to updating the HD650 - which could take quite a while since it still sells well - will build on the HD600 sound rather than going down the euphonic/pre-tuned to audiophile demands path, and improve on the HD600's speed, imaging, and overall resolution while leaving its neutrality and tonal accuracy intact.

Jun 28, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #57 of 204
You asked about amps with the HD600.

I really like my Dark Voice 336i with the HD600. I did a review of HD600 stock vs upgraded headphone cables using this amp combination, and I was surprised by how well they performed together. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/re...cables-301979/

You can get one for about $300 shipped, then all you need is to add a $30 Tung Sol 5998 rear tube and a $60 Sylvania VT-231 for the front. I don't like the 336i as much with my Grados, but it still does a very good job with them, with the right tubes (like Hytron 5692 in the front).

Since I got my Woo WA6 maxed and burned it in, the DV doesn't get much use, but that doesn't make it bad, just the WA6 is a little better (at 3x the cost with all the upgrades). The WA6 drives the HD600, D2000 and Grados all equally as well. However, the DV336i does a better job with my Edition 9 than the Woo.

Jun 28, 2008 at 9:26 AM Post #58 of 204
HeadphoneAddict BAD. "Wallet Afraid to spend for wires" hehehe

On a more serious note. I just read your review of the 3 cables and was wondering if you tried them on the hd600 with black material inside or the newer one. Also wondering if the aps v3 might be too bright for the newer version of the hd600 if they are already brighter and more defined than the original hd600. Oh, by the way have you listened to the cardas or equinox cables? Wonder how you would rank those in your reviews.

Jun 28, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #60 of 204
I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I think it will fit in here nicely.
Will a iBasso D2 Boa DAC/Amp be able to power the HD600 from a laptop?
I don't want to spend so much money if they don't sound fantastic together.
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back