Got the HD600s (formerly pulling the trigger thread)
Jun 24, 2008 at 8:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 204

donunus

Headphoneus Supremus
I was wondering if these cans are usually decent out of an integrated amps headphone jack. I have an audiolab 8000a. I am not planning to spend megabucks on an amp in the future. I will probably just get a gilmore lite to power these and my ad2000s. Is this the more logical choice than the k701s and hd650s for me?

Also I was planning to get the denon d2000s but since I am in the Philippines, it would be hard to return them for defects( since they are known to have build quality issues). Also the d2000s might also be closer sounding to the ATs than the senns which wouldnt make as great a complementary can.

I also want to add that I loved my hd595s before but thought it lacked some bass and midrange refinement. Maybe the hd600 is the key.

EDITED POST 31 WITH MY IMPRESSIONS OF THESE CANS

Jun 24, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #2 of 204
The one thing I like about my HD600 is that despite being a 300Ohm can, they dont seem too picky about what they're plugged into. They remained listenable even directly out of my mp3 player's headphone jack.

HD650 by comparison always sounded slightly wrong to me, like it was unbalanced. I often hear that it 'scales better', but not owning a high-end balanced rig, my 600 serves me better.

I've found a very nice synergy between the Pico and HD600, as the Pico tends to be very dynamic, linear and neutral, and clarity from the source matches well with the HD600's slightly warm, decay-oriented musicality.

Jun 24, 2008 at 10:04 AM Post #3 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The one thing I like about my HD600 is that despite being a 300Ohm can, they dont seem too picky about what they're plugged into. They remained listenable even directly out of my mp3 player's headphone jack.

It's because you're the lucky owner of the only player that I really liked with the HD600. All other I tried sounded crappy via the HD600's. The DT880's are better in this field, sounding good from the Teclast T39 and RAmos RM850 as well.

Regarding the bass, I wouldn't expect much improvement over the HD595's. It's better but still the same Sennheiser (car subwoofer :p ) house.

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #5 of 204
HD600 is one of my favorite all around cans. It sounded good out of just about everything, but has the potential to be outstanding. It truely is a can that rigs are built around.

The CkIII is very affordable and displays amazing synergy with Senns.

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #6 of 204
I have the HD600 and I have also had the Audiolab8000S although I never heard the two together.

I can tell you that the HD600 sounds good to me with every source, from the output on my television, to a Soundblaster X-Fi for music and games, to a dCS digital stack ($20k?) these headphones just sound good! I can't even believe how good apple lossless files sound straight out of my crummy iPod on these phones. They are marvelous, provided that your source material is worth hearing.

One thing I should warn you about, and some people may dispute this, but I think you should expect them to sound a little harsh or brittle for the first 50 hours of playing time. I strongly suggest running a gliding tone track (Ayre IBE disc) or demagnetizing track through them overnight, all night, for like two weeks. Put the uncompressed track on your computer or ipod on loop and stick the headphones in their box or in a sock drawer and let it just run as much as possible. I actually did not like these phones for the first two or three weeks that I had them and actually considered returning them, but they improved dramatically around week four.

If your audiolab is anything like mine was, it may be a little edgy sounding in general. If you get the HD600s and you feel like they sound a little hard or unpleasant in the upper mids or treble (you might not realize this right away), just remember what I said about break in. These are very smooth headphones, once broken in.

Also I should mention that, based on my experience with the Audiolab, if that is what you are using to power your headphones, the HD650's darker, more laid back presentation may be a better match. The HD650 has less upper midrange energy than the 600 but it has more control and nuance there. The Audiolab has great bass but it isn't as refined in the upper mids and high end as it could be, and so the more relaxed 650 might be a little more forgiving. The 650 is also more extended in the bass. This is a tough call, actually.

If you are looking for bass and midrange "refinement", both the 600 and the 650 will be a MAJOR step up from the 595. These are a significant step from the HD595 in ALL RESPECTS. But, if what you are really looking for is to smooth out that Audiolab, you want the 650.

Jun 25, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #7 of 204
actually the audiolab is pretty good even with my audio technica ad2000 which is a much edgier can than the hd600 so I guess I should be fine. Also, my audiolab was opened and had a parts upgrade. elna caps, etc... It should be similar to your 8000s in stock form i guess. The 8000a is a much older amp by the way

Jun 25, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #8 of 204
my cans are coming. should be with me tomorrow mmmmm i think they already have some good burn in hours on them. at least i can start enjoying them already

Jun 25, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #9 of 204
My opinion about the HD600's is based on decent desktop rigs, and whenever I compare them to the DT880's, they are at least half a step behind, everything is "almost" great. The bass quality of the HD600's and other Sennheiser's, considering other brands like Beyerdynamic, AKG or Denon, is below average IMHO. I know that the HD600's scale up, but also Creative Aurvana Live! or iGrado do. It's a matter of the quality level you achieve when pairing the headphones with certain equipment. The DT880's are not so canny, with more punctual and flatter bass response. Of course, the HD600's might sound great but my humble experience says that plugging in other headphones in the same place gives better results - say the DT880's or the RS2's.

Jun 25, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #10 of 204
but then again i think i'm more into the senn sound than beyers if i base my biases on the dt990-05. They were not even as good as my hd555s

Jun 25, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #11 of 204
I think thats a good choice.
Its "tomorrow" now, so I guess you have placed your order. Enjoy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #12 of 204
If you like your AD2000s, you'll like the HD600s (if they're the "new" version) - they sound very similar, except the HD600s are a bit richer sounding (thicker sound). Though, I would upgrade to the HD650 cable.

But... they are more demanding of the set up than the AD2000s. I can tell you with a good CDP/DAC and my DV332 "there is very little that can touch them."

Jun 25, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #13 of 204
Be interested to hear how you'd compare the HD600s with the AD2000s, as I'm thinking of potentially getting them someday.

Jun 25, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #14 of 204
THe DT990 '05 is nothing like the DT880 '05. Talking about the DT990 '05's and thinking it's all about Beyerdynamic is the same as listening to the K518DJ's and saying "now I know the AKG house sound".
smily_headphones1.gif
HD600 are much better than the DT990 '05 with no doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back