Got the HD600s (formerly pulling the trigger thread)
Jul 1, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #91 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listen to any single-ended Senns with Dissection, Nile, Cryptopsy, heck, just any plain fast and dense symphonic piece like Stravinsky's Petrouchka or very dense, complex electronica like Shpongle's "Tales of the Inexpressible..." the Senns just can't keep up. Microdetail goes out of the window, images start to blur and lose definition, air and space around instruments disintegrates, etc...

Shpongle - Tales of the Inexpressible is one of my main reference tracks, glad to see someone else listening to them
biggrin.gif

I agree the Senns show their comparative lack of speed on tracks like this, my old Sony SA5000's were able to handle electronica with much greater finesse. However, they did so at the sacrifice of body and tone, which to me is an unacceptable tradeoff.

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #92 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
true true electrostats could be faster but I'm so happy right now with the hd600s, I've lost the feeling of upgradeitus! I hope this keeps up so that I can continue enjoying music for all its glory without thinking about sound anymore.
biggrin.gif

I love this feeling. I Feel like a virgin to audio again hehehe

Congrats. No, I mean, really. I'd give my left nut to feel like that. And I've tried just about everything under the sun, and I still can't quite get there. That's not to say that I don't *like* my system, but I'm nowhere near done, and I don't know if I ever will be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shpongle - Tales of the Inexpressible is one of my main reference tracks, glad to see someone else listening to them
biggrin.gif

I agree the Senns show their comparative lack of speed on tracks like this, my old Sony SA5000's were able to handle electronica with much greater finesse. However, they did so at the sacrifice of body and tone, which to me is an unacceptable tradeoff.

Ah, that's why you have the O2. Senn tone and body with electrostatic speed
cool.gif
Though to be fair, the best I've ever heard that disk was on the HE90.

... I should stop. I'm being more evil by the minute.

P.S. if that disk strikes a chord check out Nick Gunn's "Breathe," it's really an all-acoustic version of a similar sound. Equally brilliant IMO. Even with the god-awful cover.

Jul 1, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #93 of 204
There is always something better. The important thing is that you enjoy them, and what I mean is, that they do not have any characteristics that you find unpleasant or objectionable. They are good, but they are not perfect. They have "a sound." It isn't easy to describe it in words. Veiled mids is sort of an ambiguous way of describing what it is. It is about as descriptive as saying that something is just not right with the mids. Veiled means something different to everyone. But if you listen to these phones with a few different sources you will start to hear that they have a certain sound. I hear it on my iPod and I hear it on my high-end setup, amped or unamped. They are not totally neutral--nothing is.

You can't really analyze them until you have it in your mind what their sound is. To do that, try different amps, different sources...iPod, low-end, high-end, home theater. You will hear it. The idea is to figure out what you can remedy and what you can't.

Jul 1, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #94 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
true true electrostats could be faster but I'm so happy right now with the hd600s, I've lost the feeling of upgradeitus! I hope this keeps up so that I can continue enjoying music for all its glory without thinking about sound anymore.
biggrin.gif

I love this feeling. I Feel like a virgin to audio again hehehe

When run balanced, my HD600 are as fast as my Grados, with all the positives the Senns have to offer - maybe that would be the other point to take from his post
smily_headphones1.gif

Of course with my HE60 being an electrostatic HD600, my HD600 don't get much use lately
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 1, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #95 of 204
BlackstoneJD,
I do hear the sennheiser character instantly. Its the slightly distant mids although warm and full(Diffuse Field Equalized). Thats what my analogy of accurate with a slight adjustment towards warmth was all about. Grados are upfront yet less rich in comparison.

Catscratch,
I don't think I want to listen to O2s yet until I have the money to instantly get them because it might ruin the musical enjoyment I'm having with the hd600s right now. Although J10 in stereophile did listen to the Omega2 and compared them with his cary audio 300b driven hd600s and still found the 600s to be less dry than the o2s. I dont like dry mids. I like the wet, liquid, and juicy senn mids
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #96 of 204
HeadphoneAddict, I dont think i'll be listening to HE's in a while. Thats some highly evil shyte $$$$$

Today I was focusing on the hd600s bass. Alright this is the one very minor caveat I have with these cans. The bass is not as extended down low than my former AD2000s but more boosted at the 60 hz range. Of course Ive already mentioned that it doesnt have the impact of the ad2000 but thats also a good thing. The AD2ks upper bass and slam just calls attention to itself too much.

Bottom line though is that it doesn't bother me. It is like listening to a great bookshelf monitor like harbeths. It might not have the deepest bass extension but SO WHAT. The Bass was probably one of the reasons I did not love the hd580s so much the time they were still working. I was a SUUUPERBaSSHEAD back in the 90s when I got into car audio hehehe. Not as much as those guys with a van full of subs but still a basshead by my standards today. HD590s would have probably been my headphone of choice if I had them back then.

Jul 1, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #97 of 204
The O2 is more liquid than either the HD600 or HD650, balanced or single-ended. The mids have much more resolution and everything is a lot faster, and also the mids are somewhat more upfront than they are in the HD600, so they are a bit more striking. You aren't going to get the same laid-back and diffuse sound, at least with a properly-driven O2.

I'd wager that you'd like a bass-light K340 as well. That's coloration alley, but they are very pleasing colorations, and the mids are something to behold - liquid, euphonic, yet utterly transparent.

I'm being thoroughly evil now, so I'll stop while I'm ahead
redface.gif

Jul 1, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #98 of 204
Don't stop on my account. I like evil people
biggrin.gif
I just have to stay away from people with O2s until I have the cash to buy one on the spot. I have a good feeling they will really be the bomb! My friend with similar tastes has heard the O2s and the word he used for them was PIMP! This was at headfest in San Jose where the only other PIMP setup he heard was the R10 on the Apache. This friend of mine also has hd600s by the way (Old Version) and likes them a lot.

Jul 1, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #99 of 204
Quote:

The O2 is more liquid than either the HD600 or HD650, balanced or single-ended. The mids have much more resolution and everything is a lot faster, and also the mids are somewhat more upfront than they are in the HD600, so they are a bit more striking. You aren't going to get the same laid-back and diffuse sound, at least with a properly-driven O2.

I may be the oddball, but I always appreciated the O2 far more out of the 007t tube driver than either the 717 or KGSS. The solid state amps give it that little extra speed and ultra-resolution, but at the expense of some of its tonal richness. O2 out of 007t remains the best amp and headphone combo i've heard.

But unfortunately, i'm not a rich man, so I'll make do with my dynamics in the meanwhile
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #100 of 204
Quote:

Congrats. No, I mean, really. I'd give my left nut to feel like that. And I've tried just about everything under the sun, and I still can't quite get there. That's not to say that I don't *like* my system, but I'm nowhere near done, and I don't know if I ever will be.

You need to start either drinking or 'smoking' while you listen......

Jul 1, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #101 of 204
hehehehe good advice from the buddy christ hehehehe

I myself stopped drinking since new year though and still feel satisfied with what the hd600s give me.
smily_headphones1.gif

That Picture on the avatar is actually my last day of drinkin'

Jul 1, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #102 of 204
I just discovered my HD600 headband has a huge crack in it, about to break in half. I've taken very good care of them, I really don't see how this could have happened. Any way to fix them or am I going to have to shell out for another pair?

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #103 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by s4nder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just descovered my HD600 headband has a huge crack in thim, about to break in half. I've taken very good care of them, I really don't see how this could have happened. Any way to fix them or am I gonna have to shell out for another pair?

I'm sure you can buy a replacement from Sennheiser (or SennheiserUSA). Maybe not listed in their "parts" list. But... contact them and tell them you need a new headband, and I'm sure they'll sell you one for a reasonable price.

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #104 of 204
Quote:

I just discovered my HD600 headband has a huge crack in thim, about to break in half. I've taken very good care of them, I really don't see how this could have happened. Any way to fix them or am I going to have to shell out for another pair?

Steal the band off of those poor abandoned 580s.

Tim

Jul 1, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #105 of 204
Quote:

I just discovered my HD600 headband has a huge crack in it, about to break in half. I've taken very good care of them, I really don't see how this could have happened. Any way to fix them or am I going to have to shell out for another pair?

Send them in to Sennheiser
confused.gif

Sorry about your HD600's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back