Got the HD600s (formerly pulling the trigger thread)
Jul 3, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #121 of 204
I have a question to grado rs1 owners that have the hd600s.

I don't have the rs1 and am curious to know if they are more detailed than the hd600s. Do they render hall reverb and layering detail as good or better than the hd600s or is it just the lower treble brightness that make them seem more detailed and more etched?

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #122 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok so the difference is purely housing resonance and looks I guess. Plus that gorgeous box

Well it is almost certain that they have improved manufacturing techniques and tolerances in the many years since the HD580 was released. But yes, the primary differences seem to be in the casing and looks.

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #123 of 204
If the 580s were last seen for 150 dollars, these are worth the 60 plus dollars extra for the case and better headband material alone
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #124 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question to grado rs1 owners that have the hd600s.

I don't have the rs1 and am curious to know if they are more detailed than the hd600s. Do they render hall reverb and layering detail as good or better than the hd600s or is it just the lower treble brightness that make them seem more detailed and more etched?

I'm not an RS-1 owner, but i've heard them on several occasions. IMO what makes RS-1 special is what it does with mids, particularly guitar. It has a tone and decay that just suits guitar very well.

But as far as hall reverb and layering goes, HD600 is superior, IMO. They're more soundstageous, with a bigger space to work in than the relatively closed-in RS-1's.

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #125 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure what is out there that is smoother and less sibilant than the HD600. With that said, the differences between the 600 and the 580 are cosmetic only. If the 580s bothered you, the 600s will as well.

Tim

650s have less sibilant, but if your AMP is good enough, 600s will win, especially for instrumental music. The new 600s are quite different from the old version, the old 600s are a big improvement to the old 580s, but the new 580s and new 600s are quite similar. I think that may because of that 650s became the new flagship.

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #126 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But as far as hall reverb and layering goes, HD600 is superior, IMO. They're more soundstageous, with a bigger space to work in than the relatively closed-in RS-1's.

No, I'm pretty sure that the HD600 are actually horrible. You need to put yours back up for sale, just so that I can buy them and see/hear how horrible they are for myself.

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #127 of 204
I know what music is supposed to sound like and I know what gear is supposed to sound like because I have heard some of the best front end equipment and speakers in the world. Grados don't impress me, but the HD600does. The Grados just have way too much midrange energy. They are, in my opinion, unpleasant to wear and even more unpleasant to listen to. The HD600 just sound more like a high-end speaker system. The Grados have their merits but overall, I think Sennheiser just turns out a better product in all respects.

My first pair of headphones were either SR60s or SR80s, I can't remember. All I remember is their grinding midrange. But I talking about the the GS1000 I tried when I picked my HD600. Couldn't wait to take them off.

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #128 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackstoneJD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know what music is supposed to sound like and I know what gear is supposed to sound like because I have heard some of the best front end equipment and speakers in the world. Grados don't impress me, but the HD600does. The Grados just have way too much midrange energy. They are, in my opinion, unpleasant to wear and even more unpleasant to listen to. The HD600 just sound more like a high-end speaker system. The Grados have their merits but overall, I think Sennheiser just turns out a better product in all respects.

My first pair of headphones were either SR60s or SR80s, I can't remember. All I remember is their grinding midrange.

Can't agree more with you

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #129 of 204
Quote:

My first pair of headphones were either SR60s or SR80s, I can't remember. All I remember is their grinding midrange.

Can't agree more with you.

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #130 of 204
Quote:

Grados don't impress me, but the HD600does. The Grados just have way too much midrange energy. They are, in my opinion, unpleasant to wear and even more unpleasant to listen to.

Sometimes you need energy. Sometimes you need something to get the head rocking and the toes tapping. I personally used to think that this is what I wanted in a more expensive headphone, and constantly lusted after the RS-1 and/or MS-Pro to get more than my MS-1 can offer in this respect.

But sometimes you need to chill out and relax. Indeed, my life is getting more stressful all the time and my music tastes are getting less loud and clangy. So currently I'm looking to headphones that help me relax rather than rock out; I really think that more laid-back headphones will be for me, and I'm looking at getting more than my AD900 can offer for this.

I really think that it is the choice between these two listening habits that determines what you enjoy......

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #131 of 204
Well it might just be my taste beefy but the hd600s get my toes tappin more than my former ad2000s. The music flows more readily on them. Its like milk pouring in your ears instead of sand

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #132 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes you need energy. Sometimes you need something to get the head rocking and the toes tapping. I personally used to think that this is what I wanted in a more expensive headphone, and constantly lusted after the RS-1 and/or MS-Pro to get more than my MS-1 can offer in this respect.

But sometimes you need to chill out and relax. Indeed, my life is getting more stressful all the time and my music tastes are getting less loud and clangy. So currently I'm looking to headphones that help me relax rather than rock out; I really think that more laid-back headphones will be for me, and I'm looking at getting more than my AD900 can offer for this.

I really think that it is the choice between these two listening habits that determines what you enjoy......

I don't believe good headphones are genre specific. I am an audio purist. Headphones are NOT supposed to be tuned to your taste--they are supposed to accurately reproduce the source material. The source material is what determines whether you are chilling out or relaxing or whatever. One headphone to rule them all. One headphone to bring them all. One headphone to find them....and in the darkness BIND THEM ALL. Wait a minute, I lost my train of thought there...

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #134 of 204
Quote:

I don't believe good headphones are genre specific. I am an audio purist. Headphones are NOT supposed to be tuned to your taste--they are supposed to accurately reproduce the source material. The source material is what determines whether you are chilling out or relaxing or whatever. One headphone to rule them all. One headphone to bring them all. One headphone to find them....and in the darkness BIND THEM ALL. Wait a minute, I lost my train of thought there...

I totally agree on this one. If we were to have different headphones for different genres, the reason we would need to do this is to combat for bad recordings which may have been mixed using bad monitors or headphones. If you want to hear what the engineers produced though, sticking with one accurate headphone is the only way to go.

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #135 of 204
Quote:

I am an audio purist. Headphones are NOT supposed to be tuned to your taste--they are supposed to accurately reproduce the source material. The source material is what determines whether you are chilling out or relaxing or whatever.

You say tom-AH-to, I say tom-AY-to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back