Got me them Panasonic HJE900 for 110 bucks
Feb 17, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #226 of 287
I just received my Sleek Audio W-1 Wireless Accessory from eCost and charged them. I'm enjoying the Panasonic RP-HJE900 even more now. Even with short cables i can still manage to snag them when moving about. No more worries. And it's still comfortable to listen in bed.

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #227 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No point in judging a phone by how it renders badly recorded stuff, agree. Let's just say I consider the unmodded, relatively new (not much burn-in) Pannys to be "edgy" when it comes to the higher end. Just my ears. I did an A/B with some of the tracks in question, and the Monster Turbine Pros just sounded more refined on that type of material. To me, that's not a flaw, I guess.

The treble without burn in can sound a bit edgy, harsh if you like. It's probably to do with poorly recorded music in part, but also, now I have 900+ hours on thses, burn-in helps. I feel pretty certain of that. I have 'sensitive to high pitched sounds', or too much treble, but the Panas haven't bothered me for quite a while in that respect. They definitely settle down eventually.

I love the bass on these now, considering their size as opposed to full sized cans. Nice punch when it's meant to be in the recording, more bass than I've ever got from Etys, RE0 type phones, but not in any way artificially boosted like on the Monster Turbines, and Dr.Dre I demo'd in a shop.

Over the years I've bought the Etys, Westone UM2, Audio Technica CK9, CKM90, Sennheisers, CK7, Baby Stax, Audio Technica CK10, Klipsch Image X5, Sleek Audio SA6 amongst others and sold them not so long afterwards, with the exception of the Etymotic ER4P, which I held on to for a couple of years. But I've held on to the HJE900 because they just suit me for the sound I want. There have been some accurate views on these phones, so I don't have much more to add, but they are allrounders for me. Happy to listen to house, electronica, and happy to listen to rock, jazz or classical. Not perfect but I haven't come across a phone like this that doesn't really leaving me wanting a lot more, if you know what I mean. Satisfying. I liked the ETYMOTIC ER4P with the S adapter, but I really did just need a bit more bass, and now I have it. The bass on these isn't 'basshead style'. Plentiful if it's in the recording but not boomy or overdone.

For reference, I listened again to Rhythim is Rhythim's Strings of life, which has a nice bassline and piano, and the HJE900 hits the spot for me.

Also, I listened to Underworld's River of Bass, lovely, in a word.

In a nutshell, imo they improve with time. They may not be for everyone, but do improve eventually. Mids more forward too, if only slightly. Remain laidback.

If anyone wants a pair of indestructible earphones with the option of getting a different cable, great detail, timbre, work with a variety of music, should at the J&R price consider the HJE900 for their tool box.

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #228 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by kojebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd count that as worth the price of admission. If it can play that song the way it's meant to be heard (particularly the bass line), it'll have me in goosebumps no problem at all.

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #229 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by Napilopez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I pulled the trigger on these. Picked em up from J&R and love them. Full-er impressions later, but they beat pretty everything I own overall, which is a good thing, and they only have like 2 hours of burn in at most :p I wouldn't call them bass monsters at all btw, but that might be because I'm coming from 3 non-IEMs with excellent bass. Depending on your definition of monster though. They aren't excessive imo, but rather it's quite good.

Man, I totally thought you'd end up with the Lady Gagas...
wink_face.gif

Hope you enjoy the pannies.

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #230 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by KramitDfrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd count that as worth the price of admission. If it can play that song the way it's meant to be heard (particularly the bass line), it'll have me in goosebumps no problem at all.

It's not perfect, not as good as my trusty Kenwood KH-K1000 of course, but it's a difficult sound to get across with in-ear phones as you could well imagine. It has a nice timbre to it, especially in FLAC. I wouldn't bother with a significantly lower bitrate.

Feb 17, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #231 of 287
Quote:

...they are allrounders for me. Happy to listen to house, electronica, and happy to listen to rock, jazz or classical. Not perfect but I haven't come across a phone like this that doesn't really leaving me wanting a lot more, if you know what I mean. Satisfying.

x2. You nailed it.
smile_phones.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #232 of 287
Quote:

The treble without burn in can sound a bit edgy, harsh if you like. It's probably to do with poorly recorded music in part, but also, now I have 900+ hours on thses, burn-in helps. I feel pretty certain of that. I have 'sensitive to high pitched sounds', or too much treble, but the Panas haven't bothered me for quite a while in that respect. They definitely settle down eventually.

I love the bass on these now, considering their size as opposed to full sized cans. Nice punch when it's meant to be in the recording, more bass than I've ever got from Etys, RE0 type phones, but not in any way artificially boosted like on the Monster Turbines, and Dr.Dre I demo'd in a shop.

Over the years I've bought the Etys, Westone UM2, Audio Technica CK9, CKM90, Sennheisers, CK7, Baby Stax, Audio Technica CK10 amongst others and sold them quite quickly, with the exception of the Etymotic ER4P, which I held on to for a couple of years. But I've held on to the HJE900 because they just suit me for the sound I want. There have been some accurate views on these phones, so I don't have much more to add, but they are allrounders for me. Happy to listen to house, electronica, and happy to listen to rock, jazz or classical. Not perfect but I haven't come across a phone like this that doesn't really leaving me wanting a lot more, if you know what I mean. Satisfying. I liked the ETYMOTIC ER4P with the S adapter, but I really did just need a bit more bass, and now I have it. The bass on these isn't 'basshead style'. Plentiful if it's in the recording but not boomy or overdone.

For reference, I listened again to Rhythim is Rhythim's Strings of life, which has a nice bassline and piano, and the HJE900 hits the spot for me.

In a nutshell, imo they improve with time. They may not be for everyone, but do improve eventually. Mids more forward too, if only slightly. Remain laidback.

If anyone wants a pair of indestructible earphones with the option of getting a different cable, great detail, timbre, work with a variety of music, should at the J&R price consider the HJE900 for their tool box.

Good news for Daouda then, but 800 hours is a long time. I have, like you, sampled a startling number of IEMs over the past four years (including many of the same you have), and your find with the Pannys is exactly how I feel about the CK10/MTPG combo I now have. For now, will remain content, but I am happy for Daouda, since he was getting nervous about his pair (which are burning in as I type). Now, he can relax.

Oh, did you mod your Pannys?

For me, the CK10s and the MTPG are both all-rounders, but my perception of all-rounders and yours is a little different, of course. I just like having one BA and one dynamic in my house. Also, the MTPGs, to me, are a much better phone than the original MTs.

Feb 17, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #234 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveyostrow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont think that these are really the sleeping kind of earphones...

After sleeping with the HA-RX700, I think I can sleep with any headphones XD

Feb 17, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #235 of 287
sleeping with headphones on esp one of the size of the rx700 is pretty impressive

I guess I'll wait for joker to post his review on them since he likes a similar sound signature before I decide if I should go with these or save up for something different

Feb 17, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #236 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveyostrow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont think that these are really the sleeping kind of earphones...

They are actually. I've slept with them on numerous times.

Feb 17, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #237 of 287
So more impressions. Keep in mind that I'm a noob to hi-fi IEMs(my previous best being Skullcandy ink'd and marshmallows, a long enough time ago that I don't remember their sound), and that I'm still quite new to hi-fi in general.

I'm using complies now, because they stay in my ear best. Plus I bought the complies, so I don't want to not use them after I actually paid money for them XD(btw are these things impossible to remove? I totally destroyed my first pair trying to remove them XD)

The bass on this... is very natural and detailed. I always mentally correlate details with the high end, but I'm seeing lots of detail in bass I never noticed before. Maybe it's jus tthe full size -> IEM transition, but it's quite nice. The bass isn't bloated.

Treble hits hard. More like smacks. i never even knew drums could sound so full bodied.

I can hear the slight mid recession some may say, especially after using the very neutral PX200-II as my main cans, but the mids are very detailed. I also imagine the recession will be gone or mellowed with burn-in. I mean, vocals still sound better than either the PX200-II or RX700. Maybe not as upfront, but definitely better.

I haven't even had time to listen to these very critically yet, as I've been really swamped with school work, but somehow the details just jump out at me anyways, so I don't think it's me explicitly looking for the details.

These things are built like a tank btw, if you didn't already know that. I don't think you can capture the beauty of the ziconia with online pictures. The look changes depending on the lighting, so they can look more greenish and more bluish, and its just very nice. The cable is certainly thick, and everything feels very high quality. Pretty low microphonics I think, never enough to bother me, even while running.

Soundstage is very natural sounding, not as wide as the PX200-II, but everything sounds very natural. I already shocked myself twice where I put on the music myself and I still thought the sound was emanating from somewhere else XD.

I kinda don't know whether I feel like going back to the stock tips and see if they'll become more comfortable or sound better than the complies. Keep in mind I didn't find the stock tips uncomfortable, but the complies are simply more so. I generally am very lucky with IEM tps, as I've never had anything that really bothered me.

I really agree with the statement about these being satisfactory. Out of the box , there hasn't been a headphone I've liked quite as much. There's absolutely nothing I've tried that doesn't sound good with them.

Feb 17, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #238 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by kojebee

Same thing for me (and others) with the VBs.... Sometimes i wonder wether we have to thank the burn-in phenomenon or if the harsh treble simply destroyed some of our sensitivity to higher frequencies, damaging our hearing.... And im only half-joking here

EDIT
About the comparison above : i dont know if the px200-II are similar, but my px100-II are not neutral at all and have some really thick, not detailed bass and recessed mids, and also sibilant highs compared to original px100.
REEDIT: just took a look at headroom charts of those, px200-II looks indeed more neutral. Once again useless comments from me, then.
SUPEREDIT
I would love headroom to carry these so we could compare their frequency response charts with both MTPs, and also S4 which has been said to share a kind of similar sound sig with less balanced SQ
UBEREDIT ; Wow just checked MTP frequency response charts on headroom compared to the PX, its got so much more bass that it makes me wonder how it manages to be qualified as a balanced non-basshead phone by most people
MORE THOUGHTS EDIT : I guess it has to do with the different way we percive IEM vs headphones bass

Feb 18, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #239 of 287
kojee I'm wondering how these things sound amped. Any amp you have bring the mids more forward? I'm wondering if it's worth it. Looking at building a mini3.

Feb 18, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #240 of 287
jleewach, did you just post "interesting" in 9 different threads?? LOL you must really be impatient to get to 500 posts
EDIT
Haha, 12 times now, and there you are... Makes you wonder how relevent those headfi "ranks" are relatively to experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back