Got me them Panasonic HJE900 for 110 bucks
Jan 8, 2010 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 287

Orange1

100+ Head-Fier
I started with the MEE Ai-M6’s and was taken aback at 30 bucks for something that sounded every bit as clear and pretty as they look.

Then I got the Cyclone PR1 Pro and it took me in a time machine to my favorite stereo music that was in a friends basement who had an older brother who spent too much money on stereo equiptment. So loud and full and heady, you couldn’t hear yourself cough. Such soundstage and richness in the Cyclones, I had that in two little IEM’s . Very nice indeed, I was so happy.

But you know how it goes….after seeing the couple of reviews here and then that the Panasonic HJE900 were marked down to only 109 with free shipping from J&R and also orderable, and fulfilled by J&R from Amazon, I thought I’d give them a go.

Initial impression…out of the box. Well they sure look elegant and rich and they sound that way too. These made my heart skip a few beats with excitement. The only time I heard music like this was in a high-end stereo shop. Off to the side it had a room dedicated to one set-up and they only played LP’s and it had B&W speakers I think they were like studio reference speakers, they were stupid expensive. And I was told to stand there, center and the music began. And my heart skipped a few beats. Creamy, real and made my very cells alive. I said "Ah, now this is worth every penny. If I ever won the lottery this is what I would buy." Well that was 20 years ago. And for 110 bucks here I am THAT satisfied, and they aint even burnt in yet!

All I can say to Triple Fii losers (losing out on the cheap Amazon price) or REO buyers remorse, where’s the bass?
BUY THESE
HURRY
BUY THESE.
THEY MAY NOT BE AROUND FOREVER AT THIS PRICE

Amazon.com: Panasonic RP-HJE900 Zirconia In-Ear Headphones: Electronics

Jan 8, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 287
Nice story, and congrats on your purchase! Besides the RE0 these are currently the best bang/buck high-end IEMs IMO.

Anyway, this need not be only a temporary offer, the HJE900 have been around for quite some time and the price has come down lately, so perhaps Panasonic has a new top phone in the pipeline.

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #3 of 287
I'm a sucker, and just *had* to order some of these. It'll be an interesting comparison with my Ety HF5s. I'm expecting...

- Better bass with the Panasonic
- Comparable highs
- (Perhaps) slightly better mids with the Etys
- Better ear tips selection with the Etys
- Incredible durability with the Panasonic

Sound about right?

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #4 of 287
At the price, a great bargain. I paid top whack (236,000 won in Korea) and was impressed and subsequently happy. I don't think it's possible to find IEMs at $110 and get this sound, especially the timbre to the music.

For example, does one buy lower end Shures or Panasonic HJE900? It's a no-brainer. Don't forget to experiment with eartips if you aren't completely satisfied with the fit.

James, thanks for the comparison with the ortofon earphones! That sounds like my upgrade route, especially after what you had to say about the mids. Funds will be the problem, currently the Ortofons are $330 in Korea.

Perhaps the weakness of the Panasonics (if there is really a weakness, but I don't really consider it a weakness at the current price) is the mids on certain recordings of mine.

One thing to add after listening to the Panasonics yesterday, is that low bite rates are a no-no imo. FLAC files really do these phones justice. I had a nice Pink Floyd - Welcome to the machine, moment yesterday haha.

I bought the RE0 too at a bargain price, and so I hold two great phones, but the Panasonics get most of my attention.

Look at another way. What if you just wanted an earphone that had good sound quality and durability, due to throwing the phones into a bag etc. The panasonics should be considered. I say that because I've previously had build issues with Klipsch Image X5, Sleek Audio SA6, Phontek Audeo plus one or two lesser phones. The panasonics set me at rest.

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 287
Aside from Comply Foam (T-400s), what other ear tips options do we have for the Panasonics?

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #6 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by yipcanjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a sucker, and just *had* to order some of these. It'll be an interesting comparison with my Ety HF5s. I'm expecting...

- Better bass with the Panasonic
- Comparable highs
- (Perhaps) slightly better mids with the Etys
- Better ear tips selection with the Etys
- Incredible durability with the Panasonic

Sound about right?

All in my opinion of course, in comparison to the Etymotic ER4P, and based on memory (I owned the Etys for three years)

Panasonics have

better bass
comparable highs, but the Panasonics have a warmer presentation.
better mids with the Etys
better eartip selection with the Etys, but it's not expensive to find better tips for the Panasonics, and I would recommend it if you have fit issues. I use comply T400 or the stock tips from RE0. I have also used double and triple flangeed tips, bought off ebay.
Durability is top notch, where's my hammer to prove it?

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by kojebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All in my opinion of course, in comparison to the Etymotic ER4P, and based on memory (I owned the Etys for three years)

Panasonics have

better bass
comparable highs, but the Panasonics have a warmer presentation.
better mids with the Etys
better eartip selection with the Etys, but it's not expensive to find better tips for the Panasonics, and I would recommend it if you have fit issues. I use comply T400 or the stock tips from RE0. I have also used double and triple flangeed tips, bought off ebay.
Durability is top notch, where's my hammer to prove it?

Thanks, kojebee.

Can the Panasonics be worn over-the-ear without issue?

What double and tri flange ear tips do you have?

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 287
I am using the Sony Hybrid tips on them. The ones that came with it felt "hard" in my ears, so since I'm used to the Hybrids I put them right on.

I have had my own musical epiphany... I was listening to Liberia, by Angel Voices, the track Be Still My Soul and tears began. So lovely, so worshipful.

I am listening to all from Windows Media Player ripped and synched to my Fuze. I just got Media Monkey and over this weekend I will be putting my music into 256, I think that's the right number.

Anyways I'm sure the quality is gonna go way up then. But I think these sound fantastic straight out of normal mp3. Although I encountered a wierd echo effect on a Disney soundtrack, don't know if it is just the incredible detail and soundstage of the CZ's (my shorthand for the cubic zirconia phones) or if that is the lower bit rate.

Jazz is a superstar with these also. Peggy Lee, Ella Fitzgerald, and Dave Brubeck were outstanding.

But I also never thought a mandolin could sound so musical, go Led Zepplin!

I am having the most fun tonight! I'll have to resist from constantly updating here : )

Maybe I'll come back after a good 80 hour burn, and I've got higher quality tracks on the Fuze to listen to.

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #9 of 287
yipcanjo,

Double Flange Ear Buds Tips for Ultimate Ears Earphones - eBay (item 380193777794 end time Feb-01-10 16:44:39 PST)

I bought the above. Work fine, but I prefer comply or RE0 stock ear flanges, but that's what's right for me. Maybe check ultimate ear flanges too.

Over the ear is fine, although I choose to wear them straight down.

Orange1, listening to The Battle of Evermore, Led Zep now. Nice. The Rain Song is another nice listen.

Earlier I listened to U2'S How to Dismantle an Atom Bomb. Nice impact for an IEM.

Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.... it's all about the music.

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #10 of 287
I bought this last year, having 400 hours on it. I am in process of writing a mini review. Honestly, I DO NOT recommend it to half of people. This earphone really sounds different in an unconventional way. One might call "acquired taste". Don't get me wrong, it's one of my favorite, but many may not like it. By the way, its sound changed vastly throughout my owning hours.
Please read the review by Libertad, before you rush to get one.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/h...y-away-377961/

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #11 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by yipcanjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can the Panasonics be worn over-the-ear without issue?

There could be an issue with smaller ears, because plugs + strain reliefs are quite long, similar to what some folks reported about the IE8. As for me wearing them over-ear is fine, but I have rather big ears.

RP-HJE900E-K-HiRes-Image__Image--%5B1%5D((Europe))-1WebA1001001A09J01B45956A49144.jpg

Jan 9, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #12 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by david1978jp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought this last year, having 400 hours on it. I am in process of writing a mini review. Honestly, I DO NOT recommend it to half of people. This earphone really sounds different in an unconventional way. One might call "acquired taste". Don't get me wrong, it's one of my favorite, but many may not like it. By the way, its sound changed vastly throughout my owning hours.
Please read the review by Libertad, before you rush to get one.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/h...y-away-377961/

Hi, your comment makes me curious about your findings. To tell the truth, I have only about 50 hours on them and didn't notice much of a change apart from the bass becoming a bit more pronounced, but not by much. Moreover, Libertad's review and kojebee's comments in the same thread strike me as overall very positive and match with my own impressions. So what are you hinting at?

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #14 of 287
Yesterday I was gonna ask you all why classical isn't sounding as good as everything else. Maybe they are not for classical?
Well, 20 hours later of burn-in my classical is BEautiful. What I think happened is that now the notes trailings, I don't know the word for it. A note at its loudest and then the fade into nothingness, that vibration trail, is now very much there in the instruments. Fade? Is that timbre? The leaving vibration or is timbre the heighth? Anyways, what a brand new day with the CZ's.

david1978jp, it was Libertad's review thread that made me rush to get them! I'd be interested to hear if they get faded/worse over time by your experience.

I notice I am setting the Fuze at lower volume today.

Still two words for looks and sound: Elegant and Rich.

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #15 of 287
Quote:

Originally Posted by knubbe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried that high quality cable they sell for it separately?

That is real interesting and does peak interest in the phones even more. So little info outside of Japan on that cable. Wish it were available easily.

I'm thinking upgrade cable to make them a real top-level phone and possibly sacrificing the stock cable for some Sleek W1 wireless mod. Their is real potential/versatility in this phone and without breaking the bank!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back