Got a hold on HD650's recently... smell weird.
May 27, 2011 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

yuanshao

New Head-Fier
I recently bought myself a pair of Senn HD650's on eBay used, and from what I can tell, the previous owner  hardly ever used it (the headband is completely in tact, there are no visible scuffs or discolorations) but there is a very weird smell to it.

I understand it could be attributed to the hygene of the previos owner, but the same smell comes out of the box. It smells like a wet dog.

A wet dog.

Don't get me wrong, these headphones are fine (even though I'm on an FiiO E7, my PA amp is elsewhere), but this smell is really getting to me. Can anyone else speak about their experience in smelling new headphones?

My experience in sniffing headphones' boxes have all been neutral for these headphones: ATH WS70, M50; AKG K240, K701; Grado SR80i; Sony MDR-V6; Klipsch Image S4

May 27, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 6
If it bothers you that much you can febreeze them or you could buy new pads and new headband pad and give the rest of the headphone a good wipe down.

May 27, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 6
Tell the guy to put silica gel next time. A big strong packet of silica gel can remove the smell of used headphones. I once bought a pair of dt 880s used and the person put silica gel in the package. Surprisingly, they were devoid of any scent, just fresh.

You can buy silica gel and stuff them with your headphones in a box for a day (if you don't want to spray them with freshener). 

Jun 20, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
If it bothers you that much you can febreeze them or you could buy new pads and new headband pad and give the rest of the headphone a good wipe down.

X2
If you get a chance buy a Leckerton UHA-4 slimline portable amp, it works WONDERS with the 650's
Welcome to head-fi, Sorry about your wallet :wink:

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
I recently bought myself a pair of Senn HD650's on eBay used, and from what I can tell, the previous owner  hardly ever used it (the headband is completely in tact, there are no visible scuffs or discolorations) but there is a very weird smell to it.

Oh yes, see here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/528516/sennheiser-hd-650-smell

And here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/197776/sennheiser-hd650-appreciation-thread/4650#post_7843542
Please enjoy your Stinkheisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back