Good Studio/Home Cans
Sep 4, 2011 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Destroysall

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

My brother wanted cheap headphones for his studio class.  He liked my Ultrasone HFI-580 (finally went out and bought them, and they sound gorgeous, thanks for all the suggestions on those!), however, he does not want to spend the money for them, he just wants something similar but for cheap.  I was reading around and have heard people recommending the JVC-HARX700/900.  I wanted to know, would these be good cans, for both generic and studio use??

Thanks in advance,

Destroysall

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 16
It might be a good idea to look at some Superlux cans. They are currently quite popular and are known for being quite cheap while sounding nearly as good as studio cans many times their price. Their build quality might not be the best but their sound is good, and this is what counts.

If he liked the Ultrasone for the bass, perhaps it might be a good idea to get one of the bassier Superlux cans. The descriptions they have on their website are pretty spot on in most cases, so use them to decide.

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #3 of 16
HARX900 are nice for a lot of different thing. I would think they might be a little too colored though.

The best headphones I can think of are T50RP for studio work for the price. But they do need modding and so what. check my sig for the review and keanex just posted another review here.

Or just go the standard of the industry for MDR-V6

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 16
He could also look at the Monoprice MHP-839 DJ Headphones. Reviews say they have a similar sound signature the ATH-M50s. They're also stupidly cheap so he wouldn't be out much.

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 16
what's the price range he's looking for? 100? under 100? around 100? i have no idea on what the avg going rate for the ultrasones you have. doing quick search cheapest is 127, so under that?

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
He could also look at the Monoprice MHP-839 DJ Headphones. Reviews say they have a similar sound signature the ATH-M50s. They're also stupidly cheap so he wouldn't be out much.

They aren't like M50's one bit. The people who said that used that title to grab attention from the board. I listened to the kicker rebrand and it sounded good but nothing close to the M50's

M50's are nice, but out of his range I believe.

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #7 of 16

Still waiting on mine to show up so I can't say personally, also I don't have the M50s. A better question I guess at this point would be what's the price range he's looking to spend.
Quote:
They aren't like M50's one bit. The people who said that used that title to grab attention from the board. I listened to the kicker rebrand and it sounded good but nothing close to the M50's

M50's are nice, but out of his range I believe.

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #8 of 16

His price range is about $70 & under.
Quote:
Still waiting on mine to show up so I can't say personally, also I don't have the M50s. A better question I guess at this point would be what's the price range he's looking to spend.

Reading your sig, you have the Shure SRH440s.  How are those?  Amazon has them listed for $85 (a little over budget, but not too bad when it involves free shipping), how do you compare them to the HFI 580s?

Sep 4, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #9 of 16
I do have both, I got my SRH440s for 65 actually so if you watch the Amazon sellers list you may find a pair under 70.

If your friend is looking for a pair of neutral, balanced cans the SRH440s are a great choice. They're light on bass so if he was looking for the thump the 580s provide he'll be disappointed. I primarily listen through my 580s at this point, but the SRH440s are my work pair. They're great for analytical listening they do very well with highs and mids and vocal pieces. I prefer them for acoustic pieces to the 580s. They're a good compliment for the 580s bass heavy signature, but they certainly don't compare sound wise.

I like them a lot, but if he wants a bassy pair, he's going to be disappointed.

Quote:
His price range is about $70 & under.

Reading your sig, you have the Shure SRH440s.  How are those?  Amazon has them listed for $85 (a little over budget, but not too bad when it involves free shipping), how do you compare them to the HFI 580s?

Sep 4, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
I do have both, I got my SRH440s for 65 actually so if you watch the Amazon sellers list you may find a pair under 70.

If your friend is looking for a pair of neutral, balanced cans the SRH440s are a great choice. They're light on bass so if he was looking for the thump the 580s provide he'll be disappointed. I primarily listen through my 580s at this point, but the SRH440s are my work pair. They're great for analytical listening they do very well with highs and mids and vocal pieces. I prefer them for acoustic pieces to the 580s. They're a good compliment for the 580s bass heavy signature, but they certainly don't compare sound wise.

I like them a lot, but if he wants a bassy pair, he's going to be disappointed.

Really?  Then I might have to stick to other alternatives, he enjoys pop heavily, so he loves his bass.  You said you haven't received the Monoprices yet, but when you do, please do a review of them.  I did see a few reviews, and most say they have little comfort.

Sep 4, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #11 of 16
I'm actually getting them from MalVeuaX who reviewed them. They're his review pair. I'm not expecting them to be amazing headphones, but from the reviews they sound like they could be a fun set to own. It still sounds like your friends best bet is to save till he has the other 50 bucks and get the HFi-580s.

Sep 4, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #12 of 16
Just wondering..but why on earth would anyone want a bass heavy headphone for a "studio class"? I don't get it.
Am I missing something? Now I don't love the V6/7506, but I'd most definitely recommend them over the HFI-580 and M50 for something like this.
They're also cheap! You can also get the AKG K240 Studio for around $70 with a little work.

The Kicker/Monoprice for use in a studio is like suggesting the Denon D1100 and XB500 as a studio monitor. It makes no sense.
If I was the teacher I would give them a big huge "F" and tell them to get out! Ok, only kidding...

Now if you want a little extra bass, then get the Superlux HD-668B. Unlike others, it's bass isn't too excessive, has a clear sound and is very detailed.
Now it it's not a flat studio monitor, but it's better than getting something bass heavy (for studio work).

I believe Superlux makes an AKG K240 clone also.

Sep 4, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
Just wondering..but why on earth would anyone want a bass heavy headphone for a "studio class"? I don't get it.
Am I missing something? Now I don't love the V6/7506, but I'd most definitely recommend them over the HFI-580 and M50 for something like this.
They're also cheap! You can also get the AKG K240 Studio for around $70 with a little work.

The Kicker/Monoprice for use in a studio is like suggesting the Denon D1100 and XB500 as a studio monitor. It makes no sense.
If I was the teacher I would give them a big huge "F" and tell them to get out! Ok, only kidding...

There wasn't DJ100 anywhere in that statement.

I think you're losing your touch

I second the V6

EDIT: Third I mean

Sep 4, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #14 of 16

I'd have to be a moron to suggest the DJ100 for studio work
normal_smile%20.gif
. It's got lots of peaks in the upper mids and bass.
It's a favorite, but it'd be wrong to suggest this. It's my "fun" headphone. I find it fairly balanced sounding, but not neutral.

I did forget to suggest the KRK KNS-6400 though. Thanks!
Actually it's over his budget by $30, but worth the extra money for sure.

I usually don't agree with you much, but I also don't think the Kicker sounds anything like the M50! I don't even know what else the HP541 sounds like. Maybe the ZX700 with about 100x more bass.
Quote:
There wasn't DJ100 anywhere in that statement.

I think you're losing your touch

I second the V6

EDIT: Third I mean

Sep 4, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #15 of 16
if you go on ebay you can always buy a akg 240 studio for under 70 bucks. i think right now there is one up for 69 bucks with buy it now. that's if you don't mind going ebay route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back