Good news about Android phone supports digital audio output
Jul 18, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #181 of 253
Quote:

Thanks for your opinions. For me as a android-newbie, the whole mod-theme is quite complex and not easy to see through.
But the possibilities are indeed interesting.

At Head-Fi, are there any reports of modded android smartphones that work with a usb-dac?
(I've read only about the stock Galaxy S3, some tablets and the Nokia N8 with Symbian OS)  

S3, Archos G9 tablets and Nook Colour are the only Android devices I've heard of that work with USB DACs, and of those the only one that doesn't support them out of the box and had support enabled by the dev community is the Nook.

Jul 18, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #182 of 253
Jul 25, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #184 of 253
Quote:
we already start develop a portable dac for Android phone which is total selfpowered. 

Release by September please!!! Would be the best b-day present ever...

Kojaku

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #185 of 253
Quote:

S3, Archos G9 tablets and Nook Colour are the only Android devices I've heard of that work with USB DACs, and of those the only one that doesn't support them out of the box and had support enabled by the dev community is the Nook.

Of these, only the G9 and Nook have support for the E17, which is the best portable, rechargeable DAC implementation around...

Kojaku

Jul 27, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #187 of 253
Of these, only the G9 and Nook have support for the E17, which is the best portable, rechargeable DAC implementation around...

Kojaku

Hm...I may retract this. I hear fantastic things about the pico DAC/Amp, same chip, better engineering...

Kojaku

Jul 29, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #188 of 253
Quote:
we already start develop a portable dac for Android phone which is total selfpowered. 

I don't understand.  The FiiO E17 has an option to turn off being powered by USB and it's self-powered...  Why can't it be made to work like the E7?  I just spent $140 on it and bought multiple more for others for this exact reason so instead of getting it to work there's another amp being developed for this purpose?...  Can't help but find that irritating (more than irritating actually) no matter what it is I may be missing...

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #189 of 253
Quote:
I don't understand.  The FiiO E17 has an option to turn off being powered by USB and it's self-powered...  Why can't it be made to work like the E7?  I just spent $140 on it and bought multiple more for others for this exact reason so instead of getting it to work there's another amp being developed for this purpose?...  Can't help but find that irritating (more than irritating actually) no matter what it is I may be missing...

getting it to work may not be possible. Considering the E17 has a buggy USB Descriptor, if you want it to work, you will haveto patch the ALSA driver in the kernel of a custom rom. 

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #191 of 253
Quote:
Can't that be done through a firmware update?  The fix you mention is all software vs. hardware. 

only if Fiio has a method to update the firmware which I highly doubt.

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #193 of 253
Quote:
only if Fiio has a method to update the firmware which I highly doubt.

Well, this may be far fetched for a relatively small company like FiiO but this does seem to be a mistake on their part, so for the not so many people that would like this functionality maybe it can be sent in and replaced with the upgrade?  Maybe it could be on the customers' shipping expense.  It certainly wouldn't be fair for them to correct the problem and release a new product with a few aesthetic tweaks, marketed with the pretext of a fix for the issue.  I mean, that would be approaching scam territory.  Regardless of how much I truly love my E17, things like that overwrite whatever it is great I may own by the company.  Sony often uses such business practices (if not worse) and would be a great example of an organization which I despise for such reasons.  I hope that's not what happens with this situation.  The people at FiiO seem like really cool people.

Aug 1, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #194 of 253
The USB chip in E17 is the same one used in ODAC, the Tenor TE7022. I don't really think there is anything wrong with that chip, but it isn't quite as easy to implement as the TI PCM27xx chip in E7. You'll need to understand E17 use a totally different circuit designed than the E7. The Tenor chip feeds the USB signal to a Wolfson SPDIF Transcoder, then the transcoder feed it to the DAC chip. In comparison, E7's TI chip feed directly to the Wolfson DAC. The extra chip and circuit on E17 is what make it possible to take SPDIF signal as well as USB. But those come with a price in power draw. It is common practice in the industry for DAC section to draw power directly from the USB port, so even with recharging disable, it only stops the battery from charging, not the DAC section from not drawing power from the USB port. If you consider that, you will know why your smartphone can support E7 but not the E17, because E17 is much more power hungry than E7 will ever be.

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #195 of 253
Quote:
The USB chip in E17 is the same one used in ODAC, the Tenor TE7022. I don't really think there is anything wrong with that chip, but it isn't quite as easy to implement as the TI PCM27xx chip in E7. You'll need to understand E17 use a totally different circuit designed than the E7. The Tenor chip feeds the USB signal to a Wolfson SPDIF Transcoder, then the transcoder feed it to the DAC chip. In comparison, E7's TI chip feed directly to the Wolfson DAC. The extra chip and circuit on E17 is what make it possible to take SPDIF signal as well as USB. But those come with a price in power draw. It is common practice in the industry for DAC section to draw power directly from the USB port, so even with recharging disable, it only stops the battery from charging, not the DAC section from not drawing power from the USB port. If you consider that, you will know why your smartphone can support E7 but not the E17, because E17 is much more power hungry than E7 will ever be.

I think you have a valid point, but missed the main point, the buggy descriptor, then again even if they fix the descriptor which they won't the power draw can be an issue for mobile devices with 100mW maximum power draw, Considering the ODAC needs 125mw and still functions, albeit not so well... mmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back