Good headphones for music production in college
Aug 23, 2011 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

rEEcEj

New Head-Fier
Basically i've been producing recreationally for a while and i'm about to start college on a music production course, and we have to supply our own headphones.
At home I use Sennheiser HD650s but I don't really want to risk taking them in considering how much I paid for them, what headphones would you guys say are the best value/quality for music production/monitoring for under £80?
I start in 2 weeks so please help me lol :) The more versatile the better when it comes to how they sound for different genres, thats why I love the Sennheisers, thanks.

EDIT: I would like them to be quite comfy too as i'll be wearing these all day

I apologise if this is the wrong thread, I only had 15 mins to do this.

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 12
MDR-V6 as long as they will get fed a little power. From a Ipod they would need a little more power, but a good system of production equipment will give them plenty power.

Aug 24, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 12
For music production you'd want as flat a frequency response curve as possible.
Therefore, two cans that you might consider are the KRK KNS 6400 and the Sennheiser HD280 Pro. Both have very flat response curves and both are built specifically for studio use. They are basically 'tools of the trade' and will be the best for your needs. 
The Sony MDR-V6 and the Audio Technica ATH-M50 are slightly more colored cans than the two mentioned above, with the V6 giving a little more emphasis to the upper-mids (for radio/talk use) and the ATH-M50 being slightly bass heavy. They would still be great for producing music but their coloration might be problematic. Contrary to what has been said earlier, the MDR-V6 (MDR-7506) does not need a dedicated headphone amp, it can be driven out of any source.
I do not know what kind of frequency curves the other cans mentioned in this thread have, some might also be very flat.

Also, don't forget to audition whatever can you are considering buying since you'll be spending a lot of time with these cans and they need to be comfortable. Some people find the MDR-V6 very uncomfortable due to their relatively small cup sizes, for example. This is something you really should check out before you pay.

Aug 24, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #7 of 12
Some good recommendations everyone but alot of them are more expensive than the £80 :frowning2:
Are there some which would have a similar behaviour to the HD650s when it comes to the balance of the frequencies?
I would also be wearing these fellas all day so comfort is a massive factor, thanks I hope someone can help

Aug 24, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #8 of 12
The Sennheiser HD280 Pro and KRK Systems KNS 6400 both cost £85. I am sure you'd be able to track down a discounted or refurb version somewhere for less.

The Sennheiser HD650 has a mid-bass hump and more bass than what most would expect from a monitoring/production can. The only can mentioned here that has comparable bass to the HD650 is the M50, but that costs about 120 pounds, which is way over budget. 

You could also look at cheap purpose-made headphones from Superlux and Behringer. Superlux has pretty good descriptions of their headphones on their website.

Quote:
Some good recommendations everyone but alot of them are more expensive than the £80 :frowning2:
Are there some which would have a similar behaviour to the HD650s when it comes to the balance of the frequencies?
I would also be wearing these fellas all day so comfortability is a massive factor, thanks I hope someone can help

Aug 25, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Professional-Diaphragm-Headphone/dp/B000AJIF4E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1303566008&sr=8-5

Does anyone have thoughts on these?

Classic... But I prefer the GMP 8.35 D Monitor. Here more info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed

Aug 25, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #11 of 12
I already gave my thoughts about the V6/7506 in this previous post.

Quote:
For music production you'd want as flat a frequency response curve as possible.
Therefore, two cans that you might consider are the KRK KNS 6400 and the Sennheiser HD280 Pro. Both have very flat response curves and both are built specifically for studio use. They are basically 'tools of the trade' and will be the best for your needs. 
The Sony MDR-V6 and the Audio Technica ATH-M50 are slightly more colored cans than the two mentioned above, with the V6 giving a little more emphasis to the upper-mids (for radio/talk use) and the ATH-M50 being slightly bass heavy. They would still be great for producing music but their coloration might be problematic. Contrary to what has been said earlier, the MDR-V6 (MDR-7506) does not need a dedicated headphone amp, it can be driven out of any source.
I do not know what kind of frequency curves the other cans mentioned in this thread have, some might also be very flat.

Also, don't forget to audition whatever can you are considering buying since you'll be spending a lot of time with these cans and they need to be comfortable. Some people find the MDR-V6 very uncomfortable due to their relatively small cup sizes, for example. This is something you really should check out before you pay.

Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Professional-Diaphragm-Headphone/dp/B000AJIF4E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1303566008&sr=8-5

Does anyone have thoughts on these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back