Good headphones for a basshead?
Aug 9, 2010 at 2:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Klasanov

New Head-Fier
I listen to a lot of hip-hop/rap, so i like a lot of bass. Had a surround sound in a small dorm room (had to sell it, long story), and have a car stereo with a sound system that makes the car shake with its base. The system is about $1,000 or so. I don't know anything about it (bought the car used and it came with the system).

Now, I'm going to college this fall and so I want to get some good headphones to not annoy my roomate, and well I need bass. I tried out the Beats by Dre at Best Buy and it seemed to be what I Was looking for, but I hear I can get better headphones so did some searching around, and hear the Phiaton MS400 is comparable and around the same price. Durability is something I also need because well, I just don't treat my stuff very well at all.

Any thoughts? I don't know a lot of the technical terms, but I probably like stuff with a lot of "thump" to it, whatever that means.

Also, do I need an amp? Or do these just enhance the sound quality?

My budget is around $300.

Aug 9, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 14
I like bass too... Monster Turbine Pro Golds are a good choice. They are on sale at Dell for $180. They have a lifetime warranty, and a one time (your fault warranty). When you use them to beat your roommates with and they break, then you can get more for free.

Aug 10, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 14
havent heard them but the radius ddm are supposed to be great in the bass department. Have read how many prefer them to the bass of the ie8. Infact alot actually prefer them to the ie8 overall as well as with other top tier headphones, but at a third of the price
tongue_smile.gif
. I just purchased them so I will be able to find out soon enough.

Aug 10, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #7 of 14
Another 1+ vote for Radius DDM. Bass is what this are all about, very deep and clear. Need to be careful with the ear-tips. The one that come with the DDMs aren't that great, well at least I did not like them much, but Comply foam tips worked very well for me. read the forum regarding advices on ear-tips for DDMs.

Aug 11, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #10 of 14
I listen to hip/hop and R&B 75% of the time and I bought Sony mdr-xb40ex IEMs............great for this type of music.  I use my vmoda bass freqs for the gym............but they dont have the high end like the sonys.  Both have great, great low end. 

Aug 11, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #11 of 14
lol what about the Sony MDR-XB700? looks cool, inexpensive, and the bass is excellent.
just that it have weaker mids and highs

Aug 11, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
lol what about the Sony MDR-XB700? looks cool, inexpensive, and the bass is excellent.
just that it have weaker mids and highs

gosh, I cant imagine something that large on my head................  *shrugs*

Aug 11, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #13 of 14
haha it doesnt seem large once you have it on
its very comfortable too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back