Good fullsized closed headphones for under $200
Jan 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

linuxid10t

500+ Head-Fier
First off, I am a student, and I am looking for a set of closed headphones for at school.  I don't mind looking absolutely rediculous having a huge set of headphones.  Anyway, right now, I have a Sennheiser HD 595 and I am looking for something of similar quality.  I know that is probably asking for a lot in a closed pair, but bare with me.  Anyway, I have narrowed it down to four pairs.
  1. Beyerdynamic DT 770
  2. Denon AH-D1100
  3. AKG K271MKII
  4. Audio Technica ATH-A700

The Beyerdynamic and AKG pairs are a bit more expensive that the other two, would it be worth it?  Anyway, thanks for the help.

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #2 of 40
I can't speak about the other headphones in your list, but after a fair amount of research, I purchased the dt770 (600) headphones, and am very happy with them. And since Amazon sells them for less than $190, the price was right. Knowing I'd need a powerful amp to drive 600 ohms, I purchased a FiiO e9 also (I already had the FiiO e7 which docks in the e9). The whole shebang was less than $300. Good luck!

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #3 of 40
shure srh840's for $126 from electronics-expo.com

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #5 of 40

Quote:
Thanks for adding that in.  I don't have a lot of experience or knowledge with Shure's lineup, but I have always heard great things about Shure.

Quote:

srh840's are very balanced phones with a slight emphasis on bass, 750dj's are more "fun" (bassier)

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #6 of 40
The Beyers were the first one I looked at.  I didn't even know there was any other real competitors in the arena.  I really wish I could try them all out and see for myself, unfortunately, I can't do that in St. Louis.

Quote:
I can't speak about the other headphones in your list, but after a fair amount of research, I purchased the dt770 (600) headphones, and am very happy with them. And since Amazon sells them for less than $190, the price was right. Knowing I'd need a powerful amp to drive 600 ohms, I purchased a FiiO e9 also (I already had the FiiO e7 which docks in the e9). The whole shebang was less than $300. Good luck!

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #7 of 40
How is the comfort on them?  I wasn't really looking for professional style headphones, but I will definitely take a look at them.  Also, how is the soundstaging compared to the other closed headphones?  The HD 595 has kinda spoiled me where that is concerned.

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for adding that in.  I don't have a lot of experience or knowledge with Shure's lineup, but I have always heard great things about Shure.

Quote:

srh840's are very balanced phones with a slight emphasis on bass, 750dj's are more "fun" (bassier)

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #8 of 40
here are some others that should be on your list
sennheiser hd25
akg k181dj
equation rp21
and possibly the pioneer se-a1000, although it's not a fully closed can (spaceconvoy described it as 'semi-open', allowing more sound in than out)
the senn is very well known and highly regarded around here. the akg less so though i found it to be of similar performance. the equation was very popular a couple of years back, but like so many things here on head-fi, as time moved along people forgot about it. the pioneer is another one of those cans that is known to relatively few, but is generally well liked by those who have played with them. iirc all of these cans can be driven without an amp, though an amp can make things better.

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #9 of 40
Someone is always going to say this in a topic like this, I guess it's me who does it today:

Audio Technica's M50's are also a good choice within this budget if you go without extra amp

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #10 of 40
You can also look at the Audio Technica ath-A900, these were EXTREMELY comfortable. The sound lacks bass, but, the mids and highs are about level.

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #11 of 40

Quote:
How is the comfort on them?  I wasn't really looking for professional style headphones, but I will definitely take a look at them.  Also, how is the soundstaging compared to the other closed headphones?  The HD 595 has kinda spoiled me where that is concerned.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

they're very good comfort wise, though there are complaints against the headband causing excess pressure to the top of the head, personally, I never had this issue. anywho, the earpads are large so they should be very comfortable for any average human. sound stage is good for a closed headphone. though it's more left to right than front and back. 

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #12 of 40
Well, right now the Audio Technica ATH-PRO700 are on quite a sale on amazon (cheaper than the M50) and they are a bit nicer.  I am just weary of getting a pair of DJ headphones.  I far prefer a fullsize set for the comfort.  BTW, I was looking at the Equation Audio pair originally after getting advised to it, however, I can't seem to find them on amazon anymore (out of stock.)

Quote:
Someone is always going to say this in a topic like this, I guess it's me who does it today:

Audio Technica's M50's are also a good choice within this budget if you go without extra amp

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #13 of 40

Quote:
Well, right now the Audio Technica ATH-PRO700 are on quite a sale on amazon (cheaper than the M50) and they are a bit nicer.  I am just weary of getting a pair of DJ headphones.  I far prefer a fullsize set for the comfort.  BTW, I was looking at the Equation Audio pair originally after getting advised to it, however, I can't seem to find them on amazon anymore (out of stock.)

Quote:

they are full sized headphones, though if they are anything like the M50, the headband does have a little more than average clamping force, better isolation but at a cost of comfort (sweaty ears)

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #15 of 40

Quote:
IEM's trump closed phones in sound, value and usability (portable, don't need amps).

that can be debated, from my experience, to get the equivalent sound quality of a closed headphone, IEM's tend to cost a more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back