Good, comfy headphones for $100 or less
Oct 14, 2010 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

qu4ntumrush

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new here and I'm confused as to what I'm looking for in a new pair of full-size headphones. I currently have the Audio Technica ATHM40fs for full-size headphones and the Soundmagic PL30s for portable earbuds. I'm looking to replace the ATs. The cord is hopelessly tangled in the middle and I never liked the 1/4 plug which I need an adapter for (I listen to music on my computer and Cowon S9).

I have always had cord problems with the headphones I've bought. When I first bough the Sennheiser PX100s I head music for the first time the way it was meant to be heard. However, I've used two copies of them and both of them ended with the plug tearing off. So I decided to buy a pair of full-size headphones, even though I loved their portability, and went with the ATs.

So what do I want now? My biggest needs are comfort and a coiled or non-tangling cord with a length around 4-5 feet (not too long). I don't care whether they're closed or open because I'll be using them in private. I think the ATs are comfortable but they feel warm quickly. I want the earpieces to be made of similar material to the PX100s; those were the comfiest headphones.

As for sound quality, I listen to rock, metal, and electronic (IDM, house, trance, DNB, etc.) and want a balanced sound with punchy bass when needed and clear separation of instruments. My taste is pretty diverse in those genres but my favorite groups are Rush, Pink Floyd, Nine Inch Nails, Metallica, Aphex Twin, and Boards of Canada. You can view my Last.fm profile here (http://www.last.fm/user/GlassBass/library) to get an idea of what I like. I'll also be using them for computer games (I like shooters and RPGs) but it's a secondary concern.

Finally, I don't want to spend over $100. I'm only 20 and I don't have a job but I have a monthly budget of $500 including groceries. I've never spent more than $60 on headphones but that could change. What do you recommend?

Oct 14, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 6
I'd suggest the AKG K240 Studio. The main reason is that they're extremely comfortable and very light. I use them for hours on my head and it's almost like I don't even feel them. They're also semi-open and would be perfect for games and movies. I'm not sure how the ATH-M40 sounds compared to my M30, but my k240 are far better in every way compared to my M30. I like my M30, but it's very boring.

The k240 has a decent amount of bass. Some say they're bass heavy, but not quite. They have way more then enough bass and it's very well controlled. I tried them with my Ipod Touch without an amp last night and they actually sounded very good. I imagine smaller portables might not power them well. An amp is suggested though. They're 50ohms.

You can get them for $99. I got mine for only $70 as an open box. Don't get the MK II version since it's $50-$60 more just for extras.

ATH-M50 is also worth looking into. They're more comfortable then the SRH-440 and SRH-840, but not even close to being as comfortable as the k240. There is almost NO clamping force on the k240 at all. The M50 is only under $100 on Ebay. You may find them elsewhere for $100 online, but you'd have to get lucky. I haven't checked recent prices though. They're also bass heavy and the bass was just too much for me, but most people don't mind. If you want lots of bass, then definitely get the M50. They're not good for gaming or movies though. I guess it depends on the game though. I never found them extremely detailed, but good enough for most uses.

BTW Boards of Canada sounds amazing on the K240. . Imogen Heap is another that seems to be perfect for the k240. Same with Pearl Jam, Primus, Radiohead, any type of female vocals and Classical. The mids on the k240 are very good and maybe slightly forward. Vocal quality is excellent, but not quite as good as my DJ100 and HD-600, but very close. Soundstage is very good, but imaging is good, but not great. I think this has to do with the semi-open design, but i'm not sure. Closed headphones always seem to be better in this area, but you give up the better soundstage usually.

Just as a note though, they do need some burn-in to sound best.

K240 has a lot of good reviews out there, but they never seem to be suggested anymore.

Oct 14, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #3 of 6
The 240s sound like the kind of sound I want but I'm concerned about the cord length and impedance. Is there anything that AKG makes that's designed for MP3 players?

Oct 14, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 6

After posting my reply I overlooked the part about wanting a coiled cable or tangle free cable. The k240 Studio comes with a straight cable, but it seems to be made very well. So far it's not tangled itself up. Not sure of the material though. The K240 MK II is more expensive, but comes with a coiled cable. The K240 Studio's cable can be upgraded to a coiled cable though.

I highly recommend an amp for the k240S, but I think even a tiny E5 would work. Out of my Ipod Touch they sounded good and because of this I'd still suggest them to most people, just not for very small Ipods like a Shuffle or the Sansa Fuze. My M30 is also fairly hard to drive, but not too hard with my Ipod Touch.

I also found out the cord is 9.8' and the weight without is only 8.5 oz. The coiled cable version is 16.4'.

BTW you can get the M50 with a coiled cable. I just prefer the sound of my k240, but it depends on your preferences. The M50 is going to be far easier to drive, but not a good match for movies or games compared to something semi-open or open. Soundstage on M50 is also just so-so. Nothing special.
Quote:
What's the length of the 240's default cord? Is it rubber or something else? Do you recommend an amp for it? I think my ATs sound worse than my Soundmagics because their high impedance makes them too quiet.

Oct 14, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #5 of 6
My XB500's are pretty damn comfortable, they have a short 1.2 meter cord which is about 3.5 feet. The cord is flat and never tangles or hangs on my floor so I don't accidentally roll over it. Great set if you ask me.
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 6
Yeah, an E5 is the only kind of amp I can use at this point. The big ones with the Frankenstein-style capacitors are weird. Is my MP3 player good enough without an amp? Can I detach the cord and buy a new one if it tangles up? I'll look more into the 240s.

On second thought, I might like the M50s more. The cord is guaranteed to be coiled, it has a 1/8 jack, it folds up, it has low impedance (weird that it's lower than the M40s), and it even comes with a bag. You might not like their sound but they seem pretty popular here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back