Good $300 us closed circumaural headphones with good isolation?
Jul 18, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #16 of 34

No its not right, its completely wrong, repeat NO HEADPHONE has a built in amplifier

Quote:
"
When Not to Use an Amp
In ear headphones, or earphones, have excellent sound quality and are very efficient, so they work well with an iPod or other portable player without an amp. Our favorite in ear headphone is the Shure SE535 .
You do not need a headphone amp when using noise-cancelling headphones, as they have a built in headphone amp. It prevents an external headphone amp from delivering much, if any, additional benefit."

http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/how-do-i-know-if-my-headphones-need-an-amp.php

Isn't this right? Regardless, lets not get OT. Thanks!

Jul 18, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #17 of 34

Quote:
No its not right, its completely wrong, repeat NO HEADPHONE has a built in amplifier

Yes, only portable players have amps, or you can get a separate headphone amp. 

OP have you looked into the Audio-Technica ANC7B? That might be a good alternative. Right now, I'm interested in getting a good NC headphone myself and am looking into that one. Much cheaper than bose and better SQ. 

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #18 of 34
I've thoroughly looked at my situation and decided that active noise cancellation is not needed for me. Instead I'd rather get a well insulated around ear headphone. I'm only on flights a few times a year and therefore don't want to use active noise cancellation (that hurts sq) during the majority of the year. Thats why I'm looking into products like beyerdynamic DT770 or sennheiser HD25i-ii (even though I'm not looking for on-ears.)

Are there other notable high-performing closed around-ear headphones to be had for under $300 US?

Jul 19, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #20 of 34
Around-ear headphones are not necessarily known for very good isolation. On ears like those of Bose, HD25 and the DT1350 isolate better.
Or you can get IEMs. They isolate best from my experience.

Jul 20, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #21 of 34
Do on-ears hurt your ears after a few hours of listening because of the pressure of the cups pressing on the ear itself? Are they as comfortable as around-ear ones?

Quote:
Around-ear headphones are not necessarily known for very good isolation. On ears like those of Bose, HD25 and the DT1350 isolate better.
Or you can get IEMs. They isolate best from my experience.

Jul 20, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #22 of 34
For flight, I think QC15 is already a good choice, it sound very decent, while has superb ANC and high comfortable level. Another option for ANC, I think is only Senn PXC450, compare to QC15 this Senn has better soundstage, warmer, a bit more laidback, overall it's more refine headphone.

for passive NC, I think should go to IEM, but the problem will the comfort though (at least for me).

HD25-II has great sound and great passive NC, but using them for 4 hours constantly is a big "no way" for me. (again, comfort problem)

Jul 20, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #23 of 34

Quote:
I think is only Senn PXC450, compare to QC15 this Senn has better soundstage, warmer, a bit more laidback, overall it's more refine headphone.

I have the PXC 450s. Got them about a week or week and a half ago. They're not burnt in fully, but they sound pretty good and I enjoy them.

That being said, are they really more laid back than the Bose? I find myself skeptical of that.

Jul 20, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #24 of 34
If you are set now of NOT wanting active noise cancellation, there are a BUNCH of cans that meet your criteria without even hitting the upper $300 budget you set yourself.

Check this shootout:

http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/

Also, there's like a 100 threads (probably one of mine there... lol) asking for $300 or less closed cans. So hit the search button and maybe you can narrow down your choices. I'm pretty sure if you narrow it down after looking into reviews, notes on the other threads, the guys will be able to offer more help! :wink:

Enjoy!

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #26 of 34

Quote:
I have the PXC 450s. Got them about a week or week and a half ago. They're not burnt in fully, but they sound pretty good and I enjoy them.

That being said, are they really more laid back than the Bose? I find myself skeptical of that.

Based on my my memory (back to some months ago), my songs and my set up, then yes, Senn is a bit more laidback.

Jul 21, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #28 of 34
Quote:
If you are set now of NOT wanting active noise cancellation, there are a BUNCH of cans that meet your criteria without even hitting the upper $300 budget you set yourself.

Check this shootout:

http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/

This is an excellent resource. Thanks!

Quote:
Check out the GMP 8.35, I use them in my studio, best isolation.

Including this, I've pretty much narrowed down my list to three headphones:

GMP 8.35 - isolation, super sturdy
M50 - constant good reviews, seems like a solid choice everybody has used at some point. The shootout states these have low bass control. I listen to RnB occasionally. Will this be an issue?
FA-002w - large sound stage and I like the look of the wood, but I'm skeptical to buy it as a first headphone because it seems like a FOTM. It was huge in February-April 2011, but after that I haven't been able to find much.

I'm also thinking of making a mini3, but not sure how it would affect the SQ on these cans.

This is going to be my first real pair of headphones so I want it to be a good investment.. Opinions, anyone?

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #29 of 34
I've listened carefully to many closed headphones in my home, listening for excellent insulation from outside noise plus great sound.

Some: Sennheiser 280, Sennheiser 380, Sennheiser HD 25 1 II, Ultrasone 780, Audio Technica 900, Audio Technica ATH-M50,
Audio Technica ATH-ES7, Shure 840, Shure 940, Beyerdynamic 770, Denon 2000, Sony 7506, Sony 7509HD.

Of these, I highly recommend the ATH-M50, Shure 840, and HD 25 1 II.

The HD 25 1 II is quite amazing.  Small, light, sturdy with great sound
Super easy to travel with and very good isolation.
Comfortable to wear for long periods of time.
Also: they stay on your head even when you're lying down.

That might seem inconsequential, but I've found in reality it's quite important since
I'll often be reclining or even lying down on my back while wearing headphones.

My other choices are the ATH-M50 and Shure 840.
But the 840 look quite ridiculous. 
You'd need thick skin to be seen wearing them in public,
or even to look in a mirror with them on.
The SQ and isolation are excellent, however, as has been widely noted.

The ATH-M50 don't look quite as odd as the 840's.  SQ is very close to that of the Shure,
and isolation is about the same or better.  They also have a nicer build quality.

But neither of them will stay on your head if you choose to lie down.

If that's not an issue, I'd do my best to get to listen to those three phones:
the HD 25 1 II, ATH-M50, and Shure 840, so I could make an informed choice.

If I simply had to recommend one, I'd opt for the ATH-M50.
Very well made with excellent SQ and isolation.
And, importantly, a very quick & easy resale if you don't like them.

2nd choice would be the HD 25 1 II.
The quality of sound that comes out of those little guys is startling.
Again, very well made.
And you can wear them while lying down. :)

IMO, IMHO, "in my view", etc., are
included wherever appropriate.

Jul 22, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #30 of 34
Thank you so much for your input, zazex. I think I'm probably going to pick up the FA-002w, and then the HD 25 1 II in the coming months.

I figure picking up the FA-002w would be killing 2 birds with one stone as I can change out the cups when I want open headphones. If that doesn't work out I'm going to pick up a pair of M50s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back