Good $300 us closed circumaural headphones with good isolation?
Jul 17, 2011 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

speecialedwin

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and even though I've been interested in good sound for a few years, I haven't actually researched sound until a couple days ago. I recently purchased a pair of QC15s and after lurking around on head-fi for a little while I found that mostly everybody finds Bose to be overpriced for it's sound quality. As a result, I'm looking for alternatives (My Bose is still shipping and I'm already thinking of selling them!)

I'm going to be flying for 8 hours roughly 4-8 times a year over the next four years for college, so I figured the QC15's would be a good option. I want as much sound isolation as possible so I can enjoy silence in a dorm-room setting as well as on an airplane. The main reason I bought the headphones were cause they're #1 in the c-net category for noise cancelling headphones (http://reviews.cnet.com/best-noise-cancelling-headphones/ )and they have pretty good resale value. I've also done some research on Sennheiser's PXC 450 but as far as I read they don't cancel sound as well as the QC 15's. I've also been looking at the Denon AH-D2000 but they don't have noise cancellation so I didn't give it much thought..

I'm also going to be purchasing another pair of in-ear buds for walking around campus. I don't want to spend more than $80 on the buds. I was thinking of picking up the Klipsch S4s (also cause they got high cnet ratings) but I'm still not completely sure. Right now I'm using Shure e2cs but they're breaking down as the wiring inside the cable disconnects when I curl the wire in certain positions.

So all in all I'm looking for:
1) Full-size, around-ear headphones with noise cancellation and good sound for around under $300
and
2) In-Ear Buds with good sound for under $80.

Could you guys give me some insight and suggestions on this issue? Thanks!

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #2 of 34
Want to give us some genres of music you mainly listen to?  Qualities in the music you like as in bass, mids, treble?

You might also want to post on the IEM section for your "buds".

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #3 of 34
I listen to mostly R&B, pop, and the occasional classical music. Some artists might include Bruno Mars, Eminem, Beethoven, Far East Movement, Mariah Carey, OneRepublic, etc.

Right now, since I'm new to the whole good sound thing, I'm mainly looking for balanced headphones with even bass, mids, and treble. Does this make sense?

I'll start another post in IEM for the buds. Thanks!

Jul 17, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #4 of 34
do you NEED noise cancellation? or would some good isolation do? but anyway the bose do have really good noise cancelation and are comfortable as hell, probably the most comfortable hp's iv tried. but the  sound is medicore.

Jul 17, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #5 of 34
I was debating whether noise cancellation was really necessary since I'm only on a plane 4-8 times a year, but I suppose if the noise isolation was pretty good they would work. I'd only drop noise cancellation if the increase of the sound quality justifies the extra noise coming in. What would you do?
(image missing)%3D%3D[/img]

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #6 of 34
The reason everybody here says Bose is not worth its money is because most of us value sound quality over everything else. In your position (just "good sound") the Bose is a very good option, actually.
Noise Cancellation is a hit-or-miss with any brand - it's hard to tell which one actually is better - depends on the noise. However, the QC15 also has great passive isolation. It will be great for plane flights.
It's also difficult to actually find more comfortable on-ear headphones.

Seriously, stick with Bose. But you will eventually see you can do a lot better for the money if you want to sit in a chair in a silent room.

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 34

Quote:

Seriously, stick with Bose. But you will eventually see you can do a lot better for the money if you want to sit in a chair in a silent room.

Alright. Thanks!
rolleyes.gif
I guess I won't be selling them.

Jul 18, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #8 of 34
I read through a few more of the forums on this site and I'm pretty sure I want to sell the QC15s and stay away from ANC all together and instead opt for passive noise cancellation. I'm only going to be on flights a few times a year and I can't justify the loss in sound quality just for the noise cancellation feature.

What should I get for 300 USD with pretty good passive isolation and excellent SQ? I'm still considering the Denon AH-D2000 but many people report incoming and outgoing sound leakage..

What do you think about Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro? Would the average Cmoy be able to run a 600Ohm version of this? Is there some sort of affordable, portable amplifier that can?

EDIT: Nevermind, running portable 600 Ohms is unrealistic for my budget. What about 250 Ohm impedance?

Jul 18, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #9 of 34
I have the QC 15s, they are keepers, the sound isolation is 2nd to none as is the comfort, the only headphone more comforable than the Denon D series, obviously the sound does not match high end cans though.
However they respond well to decent amping, my Stepdance and uHA-120 turn them into a solid performer, very weak straight out of the headphone jack of an ipod , a good line out certainly is a must for the Bose in my opinion, as for most headphones.

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #13 of 34
Try them yourself before selling , they tick all the boxes for me (amped) light as a feather, ultra comfortable,unobtrusive and the outside world fades away with the flick of a switch, a great set of mobile headphones, LOD and AMPED.  

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #14 of 34

Quote:
No headphones have built in amps, the Bose have the active noise cancellation technology built into the headphones.

"
When Not to Use an Amp
In ear headphones, or earphones, have excellent sound quality and are very efficient, so they work well with an iPod or other portable player without an amp. Our favorite in ear headphone is the Shure SE535 .
You do not need a headphone amp when using noise-cancelling headphones, as they have a built in headphone amp. It prevents an external headphone amp from delivering much, if any, additional benefit."

http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/how-do-i-know-if-my-headphones-need-an-amp.php

Isn't this right? Regardless, lets not get OT. Thanks!

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #15 of 34

Quote:
Try them yourself before selling , they tick all the boxes for me (amped) light as a feather, ultra comfortable,unobtrusive and the outside world fades away with the flick of a switch, a great set of mobile headphones, LOD and AMPED.  

The thing is it's easier to sell with the sticker on. I've had them for a couple days before I bought them and I found them to be pretty good. But again, I'm very new to good sound.

EDIT:
I don't mind using an amp with Bose QC 15 if it makes it sound better either, but mostly everyone says I can get better sound for 300..
ATM I just want good sound with good isolation. I don't feel like sticking with ANC either because it exerts a slight pressure on my ears. (It gets slightly bothersome after a few hours. I don't want this pressure bothering me while I'm studying)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back