Good ~$200 Amps for the HiFiman HE-400's?
Sep 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #32 of 48
For the money, it's a great combo. It takes up very little space on your desk and looks very nice. The sound is very good for the price, and can run quite a few headphones. I wouldn't go plugging the HD 800s in them or anything, but they'll do the trick for most headphones.

Dec 5, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #35 of 48
Hi,

If I may ask - which gain setting do you use on your mkiii (and do you switch between the two?)

I currently also use a mkiii with 650 (love this combo!) and Im thinking of buying a he400 to use with the mkiii as well - I settled on gain 5 and hope that it will work for the he400 as well

best greetings from Vienna

Dec 31, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #36 of 48
  What about the Audioengine D1? People say they love that? I'm trying to find out which is better: The Audioengine D1, or the FiiO E17/E9K (Paired).

I have both of those. I will say I like the DAC part of the D1 better than the DAC in the E17, but the headphone out of the D1 isnt anything special. Nor is it known to be. Most just recommend the D1 for use as a USB DAC. However if I had to pick one I would def go for the E17/E09K combo as that has way more versatility. It can be a portable setup, the E09K is a pretty powerful little amp and can be used by itself, and the E17 has lots of good input options and features that make it second to none in its class. You have to keep in mind too that any amp that gets all of its power from a USB port probably isnt going to be that powerful. Youre gonna need something that uses a more capable external power supply. That is probably why the D1's headphone out isnt near as nice sounding or powerful as the E09K.

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #39 of 48
What about Schiit Magni and Modi?

Supposedly the Magni and Asgard 1 or 2 are supposed to be good at driving the HE-400's but then you hear NOTHING but good talk about Schiit products which makes me believe they are probably more hype than amazing and on top of that I havent been able to find many acutally using the Asgard 2 to drive their HE-400's in my searching. Im thinking about trying the Magni anyway since its so cheap and has crazy good resale value, but I think I have almost ruled out the Asgard 2 as it doesnt seem to be worth the money when compared the Magni.

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #40 of 48
Curious what the OP went with. I have heard them with a Schiit and an Antique Sound Labs unit. Both were nice. I've heard contrasting opinions regarding SS being better than tube with ortho headphones. I really think that it is just preference.

Jan 16, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #41 of 48
Supposedly the Magni and Asgard 1 or 2 are supposed to be good at driving the HE-400's but then you hear NOTHING but good talk about Schiit products which makes me believe they are probably more hype than amazing and on top of that I havent been able to find many acutally using the Asgard 2 to drive their HE-400's in my searching. Im thinking about trying the Magni anyway since its so cheap and has crazy good resale value, but I think I have almost ruled out the Asgard 2 as it doesnt seem to be worth the money when compared the Magni.

Funny, no reviews are bad, bad reviews are bad and only reading good reviews is hype=bad too...
I had my share of disappointing amps/DACs but Schiit products have yet to disappoint. Using a Schiit Valhalla, Modi, Asgard with various headphones, love the sound these amps/DAC produce.

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #42 of 48

For $200 - a home-made odac+o2. Or just a bit more for a fully assembled one. The Magni's gain is 5x and imo is too high for the he-400. The o2 gives you a 2.5x/6.5x standard gain or your can request a 1x/6.5x or you can just do it yourself. 

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #43 of 48
  Curious what the OP went with. I have heard them with a Schiit and an Antique Sound Labs unit. Both were nice. I've heard contrasting opinions regarding SS being better than tube with ortho headphones. I really think that it is just preference.

I ended up going with the Schiit Asgard-2 and the Schiit Modi. Since I made this post, I have also acquired the Mad Dogs by Mrspeakers, which I use more than the HiFiMANs. From my memory, though, the HE-400s and the Asgard-2/Modi did pretty well together.

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #45 of 48
audio GD 15.32 is value for money and can drive HE 400 effectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back