Goldring DR150 vs. Grado
Mar 31, 2010 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Catharsis

500+ Head-Fier
Just wondering, how many of you have heard and appreciated the Goldring DR150? Some time ago I was recommended the DR150 as a full size circumaural solution to Grado at a great price. I paid $120 for my DR150 at a local retailer and sold my SR60 and SR225 in a heartbeat awhile later.

The DR150 offered better (fuller) bass, better comfort and better soundstage (IMO) and still managed to keep that guitar twang front and center for a crystal clear Grado-like listen as many head-fiers had suggested.

Why no love for the DR150 around here? Was it really so FOTM? I think it is a highly underrated set of headphones and I'm happy to have it in my collection.

Your thoughts?

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Catharsis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(IMO) and still managed to keep that guitar twang front and center for a crystal clear Grado-like listen

Interesting, the reviews I saw said that the DR150's weren't as good as the Grados for the guitar. Its one instrument that Grados reproduce as good as speakers and I have always been puzzled that no other headphones come close, I need to check these DR150s out.

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 9
There is a hint of sibilance at times with the DR150, but it's a small downside for a headphone that has a tonne of upsides. For one, it excels with rock, but because of the great bass extension and impact and better soundstage, it's more suitable for other genres (such as electronic) as well. Comfort is superior too!

There's quite a few old threads on the awesomeness of the DR150, but I was just curious about how people felt lately, as it seems to be fading into the background.

Apr 5, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 9
I have tried the Goldring DR150's with electro music and they are perfect for that kind of music. Dont expect lots of bass from them.

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 9
DR150s are excellent headphones. I rate them considerably higher than some of the headphones that get a lot of love on here. I know I'm comparing closed with open but I don't think the HA RX700 or Creative Aurvana Live! (same as Denon AH-D1001) come close.

I think they're a bit like the next step down the series from the Senn HD580 (I had both for a while). The DR50s are incredible for the money too. I wasn't quite so impressed by the DR100s though. They got a bit congested when a lot was going on.

Wasn't there someone who A/Bed the DR150s against HD650s and called them the 'little brother' or something like that. Someone else also put them against AD700s and the DR150s came out with flying colours.

I must admit, I was a little spoiled. I got mine for £30.

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 9
DR150 is not bad, but has a bit of a pinched, compressed character....does not let music breathe very well. I would take the SR225 over them any day.

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 9
Don't know what headphone prices are like where you are but in the UK DR150s are usually about £60-70 with occasional offers dropping them to £30-40. The SR225s are over £200.

Price wise, comparing with SR60 or SR80 is more realistic.

Edit: DR150s do respond well to amping. A suitable amp can kill some of the lack of note decay that people have mentioned in other threads.

Jul 7, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #8 of 9
At the risk of reviving a dead thread, I'll throw in my two cents worth as a DR150 owner and user. I am also a Grado SR80 owner. SInce I bought my DR150's the SR80's have been collecting dust. I don't understand why this 'phone doesn't get more respect or press.  Maybe because one can pay another $50 or so and purchase the closed back Sure 840's

IMHO the Grado SR80 and Goldring DR150 have very similar sound.  So similar that while easily noticed, for me, hard to describe and trivial.  That is to say one will adapt to either one and not give hoot about missing anything in regard to the other.

To me comfort is of primary importance.  That is it must be considered before one goes on to evaluate sound quality and character.  When I bought my Grados I was very impressed by reviews and what reviewers had to say about the Grado sound.  I thought the comfort level of Grado 'phones was par for the course.  I was underinformed. I also may have spent money better used to purchase I set of cans that wouldn't bully my outer ear just to deliver the goods to the canal and drum as Grados do.
The Goldrings are miles ahead of any Grado in terms of comfort.

While the Grado headphones offer an elegant, if not inadequate, industrial design across the board, I believe one gets more in this respect with the DR150 than the SR80.  The DR150's build is solid and the comfort is superior.  Factor in a detachable cable and one has a phone that should outlast the SR80.

So, unless one is looking for a sadistic dom of a headphone, buy the DR150's over anything similarly priced in the Grado line.  After that enjoy extended listening sessions until you decide to move up a tier to k702's, HD 600's or DT 880's etc. etc.............

Jul 7, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Don't know what headphone prices are like where you are but in the UK DR150s are usually about £60-70 with occasional offers dropping them to £30-40. The SR225s are over £200.

Price wise, comparing with SR60 or SR80 is more realistic.

Edit: DR150s do respond well to amping. A suitable amp can kill some of the lack of note decay that people have mentioned in other threads.

IMHO I wouldn't place too much emphasis on price.  I had a SR225 and sold it off after owning the DR150 and there's nothing to miss.

Having compared the SR60, SR80, SR125, SR225 and SR325i side by side in a volume matched test, I would say the differences are objectively (based on measurements) and subjectively minimal, although expectation bias rules the roost here at head-fi.

I don't know why I purchased the SR225 given my experience with the various models.  In retrospect I purchased the most expensive model I could afford because it made me feel better to know that I had an upper range prestige model.  In actuality, there was barely an improvement over the SR60 with the SR225 at more than double the cost IMO.

I have lots of inexpensive headphones that compete well (both objectively and subjectively) with headphones that cost nearly double or triple the amount. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back