Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 29, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #61,396 of 62,324
I find Tidal sounds poor for much of its music esp. so called Masters.

I would try some CD Rips.

I would welcome another pair of earbuds that are not bass'd up but more natural, that is what EQ is for.

The MTW3 sound good to me with no EQ or their new fancy tuning feature IF the source audio is good, not so good on lower quality tacks.
Definitely not saying the bass is bad on these -- far from it -- it's nice, there is bass and definitely not elevated unlike DPP's for example.
I suppose the signature might just be more neutral but there's something about it that feels missing

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #61,398 of 62,324
Definitely not saying the bass is bad on these -- far from it -- it's nice, there is bass and definitely not elevated unlike DPP's for example.
I suppose the signature might just be more neutral but there's something about it that feels missing
I read one review that said they were lacking a little dynamic drive - maybe that sums it up?

Their sound signature hits the spot for me fortunately though with just a hint of EQ.

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #61,399 of 62,324
I read one review that said they were lacking a little dynamic drive - maybe that sums it up?

Their sound signature hits the spot for me fortunately though with just a hint of EQ.
That probably sums it up -- glad the sig works for you though -- that's always the tricky part with any of this audio malarky --- ridiculously personal/subjective
I do find over the course of a month i'll lean towards one pair more than another -- then sooner or later lean back the other way.

I've been using the DPP's most of the year so far but really got back into MTW3 again this past couple weeks -- dunno what it is, maybe mood/weather/health -- who knows :D
Although i've just switched from mostly using Samsung (so normal AptX) and now using the Xiaomi so AptX adaptive all the time -- so could be codec implementation on the buds works better on one than another

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #61,401 of 62,324
How is the ANC?
Decent enough -- running with the pack i'd say -- not a front runner (guessing Bose might have that crown) but not much different than the DPP/MTW -- DPP of the 3 probably cuts out the most top-end frequencies

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #61,402 of 62,324
Well MTW3 ANC is near non existent to me but I read the MTW4 are good.

I know Sony/Bose have the best but sometimes other earbuds are better at certain frequency's, I have had both and was not overly impressed with them and Bose only do well due to the added white noise.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #61,403 of 62,324
Well MTW3 ANC is near non existent to me but I read the MTW4 are good.

I know Sony/Bose have the best but sometimes other earbuds are better at certain frequency's, I have had both and was not overly impressed with them and Bose only do well due to the added white noise.
True -- the MTW isn't spectacular, DPP is definitely better. But i think the M100's is roughly the same on high frequency as MTW
Not tried Sony's TWS at all. Bose Ultras were great on ANC but i found their sound lacked body

Nothing's perfect :D

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #61,404 of 62,324
I received my Cambridge M100s yesterday. I'm really digging them so far. I A/B'd them with my B&O EX last night I was pleasantly surprised with how the M100s sounded in comparison (especially for the price). They fit my ears perfectly. I did replace the sleeves for some SednaEarfit Max that I had lying around. I think the Azlas improve the sound a bit with regard to bass and isolation but I was actually pretty happy with the sleeves that came with the M100s (surprisingly). I still need to A/B them with my Mystiques but I think the Mystiques will outperform them. They certainly will be louder than the M100s as they are way louder than any other TWS I have.

Verdict - so far so good!

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #61,405 of 62,324
That probably sums it up -- glad the sig works for you though -- that's always the tricky part with any of this audio malarky --- ridiculously personal/subjective
I do find over the course of a month i'll lean towards one pair more than another -- then sooner or later lean back the other way.

I've been using the DPP's most of the year so far but really got back into MTW3 again this past couple weeks -- dunno what it is, maybe mood/weather/health -- who knows :D
Although i've just switched from mostly using Samsung (so normal AptX) and now using the Xiaomi so AptX adaptive all the time -- so could be codec implementation on the buds works better on one than another
I'd really like to try both the DPP and MTW and it looks like I might have to.

Second day with the M100s hasn't been a complete success. Still love the sound but connected to a Xiaomi 14 Ultra I'm getting fairly frequent drops where it sounds like it's going to a very low bitrate (and the sound narrows) and then about 20 seconds later it springs back to normal. On a 30 minute walk it happened about 6 times. I don't really want something this unstable tbh.

How do the MTW and DPP compare sound wise to the M100?

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #61,406 of 62,324
The M100's are probably going back for me. I actually did like the sound. It's a more crisp sound than say the MTW4 or AZ80, but I still enjoyed it. Definitely less meaty but I did not find it thin either. Just eq'd in a little more bass. But I still like the MTW4 better. So the issues for me were more quality of life.

pros: nice small profile, good build quality, nice change of pace sound, ANC is respectable, transparency also seemed respectable.

for the cons some of these are smaller thing that may just bother me but not everyone else:
-the buds are facing the wrong way in the case. They face the opposite way of every other TWS I've used, so they don't come out of the case between your thumb and forefinger in the right position to go right into your ears. Small but annoying quality of life issue, as it is every time you put them on or put them away.
-lack of customizable controls. kind of a big deal for me. can only control playback from the right side, meanwhile every tws I've had I managed to set them up on the left side. It seems like a pretty easy thing to do with an app. so it bugged me a bit
-getting into transparency mode fast while pausing music, impossible. You have to pause on your right bud, then toggle through ANC/Normal/Transparency on the left. This may not matter to many people. It matters to me - last night using mass transit to go to the Upper west side, there are too many times I just want to hear something quickly in transparency mode in my surroundings and then go right back to the music with ANC on, whether or not I speak to someone, that this being a simple one hand operation and one gesture operation is too important for me. At least if I could do it on the same earbud with two gestures, I'd think about it, but not on both sides.
-phone call quality - haven't used them in any kind of environment other than quiet, but the video review test showed they are absolutely terrible when they are in any other kind of environment
-did a long dog walk with them and I got feedback from my footsteps. was not in transparency mode. Would need to tip roll to test that more.

since to me the MTW4 are really good except phone call quality, I prefer to hope that firmware updates really improve that one thing - vs the too many little negatives with the M100.

If you don't need the features I am missing, and just for sound, I think they can sound good.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #61,407 of 62,324
I received my Cambridge M100s yesterday. I'm really digging them so far. I A/B'd them with my B&O EX last night I was pleasantly surprised with how the M100s sounded in comparison (especially for the price). They fit my ears perfectly. I did replace the sleeves for some SednaEarfit Max that I had lying around. I think the Azlas improve the sound a bit with regard to bass and isolation but I was actually pretty happy with the sleeves that came with the M100s (surprisingly). I still need to A/B them with my Mystiques but I think the Mystiques will outperform them. They certainly will be louder than the M100s as they are way louder than any other TWS I have.

Verdict - so far so good!

Second day with the M100s hasn't been a complete success. Still love the sound but connected to a Xiaomi 14 Ultra I'm getting fairly frequent drops where it sounds like it's going to a very low bitrate (and the sound narrows) and then about 20 seconds later it springs back to normal. On a 30 minute walk it happened about 6 times. I don't really want something this unstable tbh.

I'm having zero issues with the M100. They're quite nice. Using both a iPhone 15 Pro and a Pixel Fold as well as an Apple TV. No issues but one, when I switch phones, EQ resets and I have to turn it on again. Battery life is stellar. ANC is, like others said, not Bose or APP2, but still decent. Fit is just awesome. Been tip rolling, so haven't settled.

All the above said, they're not my best. If I'd compare them to the DPP and MTW4 -- I got rid of the DPP because of fit issues. Didn't work for me and were painful at times. I feel like the M100 have the edge as far as build quality, but not by much. The MTW4, while I do think they sound excellent, I didn't feel they were worth an upgrade if you have the 3. The case is huge (Still) and the bud fit can be temperamental to some. But the build quality is the best of the three imo.

I do agree that the M100 are missing something. My Gemini 2 and Beoplay EX really do sound better. Maybe CA can fix a few things with a firmware update, maybe not.

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #61,409 of 62,324

The stability sounds more like the purpose of APTx Adaptive as it adjusted to signal interference while on your walk. The higher we push the bandwidth threshold the more you will have that type of issue. Happens with LDAC as well. I rarely can use LDAC at 990.

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #61,410 of 62,324
Good list. I’d remove the B&O and Denon.
FWIW;: As far I can see, there's no B&O on the list :) But maybe there should be, I still do love mine, so if they are reasonably priced and you're not going for ANC, then the B&O EX sounds really great....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back