Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 30, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #59,206 of 62,746
99% of all data conversion is through delta sigma DAC’s, be it medical, aerospace, automotive, robotics, video, music…. You name it….. R2R is marketing…. With this being said, I’ve never heard of anyone detecting one over the other where music is concerned…. But then we do have guys on Head Fi claiming they hear massive differences between a $3k cable and one costing $2.5k….. Meh…….. 🫤
According to HiFiman the R2R is a DAC/AMP. The Jr on the other hand says it's a DSP (just another word for DAC???) But doesn't mention amp.

The diagram for mine shows:
BT > R2R > AMP > driver

the Jr shows:
BT > DSP > AMP > driver

If I look at Mw details and battery life the Svanar and LE show 63mw and 7.28hr whereas the Jr shows 50mw at 8.32hr. The Jr appears to have more harmonic distortion as well. So if the driver works better with more wattage it might improve the dynamics.

I know there was a significant change in sound if I disabled its one mode which I am sure disabled the R2R. I thought they sounded not as good, but another Svanar owner felt it just severely changed the volume. The swing was enough I have a hard time saying what is what plus the ANC might also be what was changing the sound quality versus the lack of R2R.

It does point out the R2R definitely was a different amp though. So with its removal the Jr model would potentially go more smoothly from ANC to no ANC which might make them less finicky than the more expensive models but potentially at the cost of detail and dynamics slightly. Again without having both and either a golden ear or a whole bunch of testing gear its really hard to say...

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #59,207 of 62,746
Those pics show a pretty significant grill on the stem near the ear portion. Is it the mics or are they semi open

Those pics show a pretty significant grill on the stem near the ear portion. Is it the mics or are they semi open design?
Not 100% sure, left charging while at dinner. Will need to check them out tomorrow.

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #59,209 of 62,746
Sfad83a1a85764a90ac6444611b6880a0B.jpg

Dec 31, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #59,215 of 62,746
Anyone with the Denon Perl Pro have any issues after updating to latest firmware?

Haven't used the app in a few months and now need to update to get through to it. Usually hesitant to update things as for some reason I find they rarely improve anything.

Dec 31, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #59,216 of 62,746
Anyone with the Denon Perl Pro have any issues after updating to latest firmware?

Haven't used the app in a few months and now need to update to get through to it. Usually hesitant to update things as for some reason I find they rarely improve anything.

"Newest" firmware is still well over a month old now if not more --- no issues though -- can't say it did anything noticable either tho

Dec 31, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #59,217 of 62,746
Listening to the Prestige and the one area where they clearly beat the Svanar is the subbass. You can feel the subbass in your head with the Nobles. Since you can’t really EQ the Svanar we will never really know if they can hit this hard. I can see why erockg would prefer the Noble for older tracks and metal.

I’m still dealing with fit issues. I just cannot get these things to stay in my ears. Hoping to find some tips that work for me. I switched over to my Pixel from iPhone but it was a sideways switch from AAC to Aptx. No improvement.

Dec 31, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #59,220 of 62,746
Hmm TWX9 with ANC-off sounds better and smoother, especially the treble. Also they feel more comfortable with ANC off. Normally I would have sold them, cause I intended them for portable use. But that spot went over to my Oppo Enco X2, which has better stability and software implementation and a way smaller case. I like the tuning also a bit more for longer listening. Just a big bummer they don't have aptx, for Desktop use the TWX9 sound way better. On phone with aac they are pretty comfortable, but the TWX9 has a more pinpoiont and wide soundstage. and slightly better resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back