Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 22, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #58,951 of 62,253
Samsung, cough, cough.

I Just bought the Galaxy Fold5 for a really attractive price...It's freaking amazing, It really feels like the first major step after smartphones were introduced! I have both a phone and a tablet in my pocket.

Buuut the one major flaw, like with their TVs...Samsung just refuses to license any technology were they want to compete with their own products...They didn't even add LC3 with the Android 14 update...OPUS and APTX HD are also not present, despite the fact they're license-free.

Really hoping there will be some premium TWS that do support LDAC this coming year. :/ That's one of the reason I was excited for the Falcon Max, before we knew it was regional product.

It's even more lame when you think about the fact that most premium Samsung phones do in fact run on a Snapdragon SoC...

From a western perspective Samsung and Google are slowly becoming the only viable choices in the Android-market, especially since Google are focusing more and more on adding features for their own line of Pixel devices. My Xperia 1V barely got anything new when it received the update for Android 14, because Google barely added anything to the ASOP and Sony barely have any software development going on besides the camera software.

In a perfect world Qualcomm, Google and Samsung would work together in order to advance the bluetooth audio experience, but sadly that's not the world we live in.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #58,952 of 62,253
I sent your question over to Jim, as he is more involved with Bluetooth/tws than I am.

His reply:

"APTX Adaptive is available on every Android device since December 2019.

It is embedded in the android os."

AptX Adaptive "support" was added with Android 10, but not all devices have it implemented... I know AptX and AptX HD encoders are now open source (no royalties)... not sure about Adaptive, but my guess is royalties are still required to use.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #58,953 of 62,253
For now an Android phone as no dongles etc I know of and if your phone does not support it will fall back to ap

I sent your question over to Jim, as he is more involved with Bluetooth/tws than I am.

His reply:

"APTX Adaptive is available on every Android device since December 2019.

It is embedded in the android os."
I appreciate the work on my question. However, there is not a portable DAP that transmits in aptX Adaptive running Android or not that I or anyone I've contacted can find. Please provide any info on the DAPs' running Android that does. It be a big help.

Dec 22, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #58,954 of 62,253
Correct and that is why me being half asleep got caught out, as you said DAC and I said it was only Android phones for now but I forgot about the USB Dongles some of which could be classed as DAC's I suppose.

I know what you meant and AFAIK there are no decent branded (or cheapos like Avantree & 1MII) that do so fully esp if you want USB Audio as some do not have that feature but rely on RCA and Optical.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #58,957 of 62,253
I Just bought the Galaxy Fold5 for a really attractive price...It's freaking amazing, It really feels like the first major step after smartphones were introduced! I have both a phone and a tablet in my pocket.

Buuut the one major flaw, like with their TVs...Samsung just refuses to license any technology were they want to compete with their own products...They didn't even add LC3 with the Android 14 update...OPUS and APTX HD are also not present, despite the fact they're license-free.

Really hoping there will be some premium TWS that do support LDAC this coming year. :/ That's one of the reason I was excited for the Falcon Max, before we knew it was regional product.

It's even more lame when you think about the fact that most premium Samsung phones do in fact run on a Snapdragon SoC...

From a western perspective Samsung and Google are slowly becoming the only viable choices in the Android-market, especially since Google are focusing more and more on adding features for their own line of Pixel devices. My Xperia 1V barely got anything new when it received the update for Android 14, because Google barely added anything to the ASOP and Sony barely have any software development going on besides the camera software.

In a perfect world Qualcomm, Google and Samsung would work together in order to advance the bluetooth audio experience, but sadly that's not the world we live in.
Depending on reviews I will probably buy the Falcon Max from Amazon Japan.

About LC3, Samsung apparently removed it along with Bluetooth LE from their One UI 6.0 just before final release. The whole thing about Bluetooth LE seems pretty laughable at the moment since nobody seems to be getting it done right. The Creative Aurvana Ace does not even auto-reconnect to my Pixel 8 Pro (I have to select it every time, one of the minor reasons why I am returning it).

The thing about LC3 is that it's all about advanced compression and decompression. It seems like it's in its infancy and I'm guessing that one day there will be some kind of AI capability on both sides of the transmission that will be able to take advantage of it. Both Google and Jabra use no Qualcomm with their SOC and the Pixel Buds Pro and Jabra Elite 10 currently only go as high as AAC (I did not mention Apple here - who knows what they are doing). We're already seeing all the processing going on with various "spatial" solutions and I'm guessing something using LC3 would be the next step.

Dec 22, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #58,959 of 62,253
Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #58,961 of 62,253
batman-listen.gif

I spoke to Jim & we decided it would be best to provide some clarity.

At this point in time, the intended market for the Falcon Max is Japan & we are currently in the final stages of developing a FoKus XMems TWS.

Exciting times, as Noble will soon offer three Xmems products concurrently. All with different price points and with different niche market/use.
Looking out of the window I realize ... I LIVE IN JAPAN :D

So, I see e-earphone already has a listening 'station' set up and sales are scheduled to start on 29th .. so .. at least I can go and check them out in person.

Dec 23, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #58,963 of 62,253
Depending on reviews I will probably buy the Falcon Max from Amazon Japan.

About LC3, Samsung apparently removed it along with Bluetooth LE from their One UI 6.0 just before final release. The whole thing about Bluetooth LE seems pretty laughable at the moment since nobody seems to be getting it done right. The Creative Aurvana Ace does not even auto-reconnect to my Pixel 8 Pro (I have to select it every time, one of the minor reasons why I am returning it).

The thing about LC3 is that it's all about advanced compression and decompression. It seems like it's in its infancy and I'm guessing that one day there will be some kind of AI capability on both sides of the transmission that will be able to take advantage of it. Both Google and Jabra use no Qualcomm with their SOC and the Pixel Buds Pro and Jabra Elite 10 currently only go as high as AAC (I did not mention Apple here - who knows what they are doing). We're already seeing all the processing going on with various "spatial" solutions and I'm guessing something using LC3 would be the next step.
1703340948521.png
:)

Dec 23, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #58,964 of 62,253
Dr. John, Do you have a list of portable DAPs, which send BT in aptX Adaptive? I cannot find any at all. Without a source sending in the aptX Adaptive codec what good is it having the aptX Adaptive codec in the FoKus Prestiage but not being able to use it? Or do I not understand how the Adaptive codec works?
Bump.....John, does Noble know of any DAPs which transmits in the BT aptX Adaptive? If a DAP with this BT codec does not exist then why include it as a feature? And it's not just Noble....Bose new Ultra's do, and other earbud manufacturers as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back