Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 25, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #57,001 of 62,439
I think for the most part, streaming music services and wireless tech have in fact killed full sized speakers. Are they 100% eradicated from the planet? Of course not, but the market sure isn't anything like it used to be. When I was growing up, we were all into our hifi systems. I worked at Circuit City and was buying awesome hifi gear. Nowadays, most people don't buy full home hifi systems. A sonos system offers more versatility, ease of use, significantly less cost and decent sound. Like TWS, the trade offs for a full home system aren't worth it. I wouldn't even know where to go buy full sized speakers any more. Is there a niche market for proper home hifi? Yes, but I'd bet it's half of what it was in the 90s.
This is consumer market, for any regular consumer $2K headphones or IEM is insane.
Yet we are here, alive and kicking, enjoying our expensive hobby.
Why high end watches are still a thing among enthusiasts when any phone can show precise time? It's the same thing, there always will be a niche market.

Sep 25, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #57,002 of 62,439
The Edifier Neobuds Pro 2 screwed me over but least got to look forward to the best treble TWS, the Freebuds Pro 3 🧖

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230925-104845_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20230925-104845_AliExpress.jpg
    483.1 KB · Views: 0
Sep 25, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #57,003 of 62,439
This is consumer market, for any regular consumer $2K headphones or IEM is insane.
Yet we are here, alive and kicking, enjoying our expensive hobby.
Why high end watches are still a thing among enthusiasts when any phone can show precise time? It's the same thing, there always will be a niche market.
The luxury watch market is a LOT bigger than the audiophile market. It's not a good comparison at all.

https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/luxury-watch-market

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...2-12-Billion-by-2030-Skyquest-Technology.html

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #57,004 of 62,439
The luxury watch market is a LOT bigger than the audiophile market. It's not a good comparison at all.
Even that is closing… I could buy a nice watch but I’d rather have my garmin, Apple Watch etc., and I know a few that have done the same

Sep 25, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #57,006 of 62,439
Even that is closing… I could buy a nice watch but I’d rather have my garmin, Apple Watch etc., and I know a few that have done the same

Yeah, the Apple Watch pretty much ruined my watch habit. At least I'm saving much $$$ that I now spend on audio... :wink:

Sep 25, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #57,007 of 62,439
But it is not like TWS is only allowed to use mems or other new speaker tech. TWS will close the gap but the other part of nowhere for wired to go is just not true. :)

MEMS require special amplification and a DC bias voltage, therefore conventional sources will not be able to drive them properly. Of course there will be integrated solutions for TWS (like Usound's Kore 4.0), but I honestly doubt that MEMS + matching amp combos will become a huge success for wired to go.

Sometimes, having a battery on board isn't all that bad... :wink:

Sep 25, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #57,008 of 62,439
It isn't. It's expanding rapidly. Read the second article
5%… but it’s not your Rolex etc - as you’ll see from the article it’s smart luxury watches… I have some Hermes…

Sep 25, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #57,009 of 62,439
5%… but it’s not your Rolex etc - as you’ll see from the article it’s smart luxury watches… I have some Hermes…
The tip of the iceberg:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Sep 25, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #57,011 of 62,439
Sep 25, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #57,012 of 62,439
It's all dead to me and people I know, my fancy titanium Citizens collecting dust for years. Just extra useless weight on the wrist.
It's funny, I actually felt liberated when I gave up my Apple Watch in favor of a real watch. I was always trying to get my steps, in, meet sleep metrics, HR etc. I was consumed with the data. I gave it up a few years ago and much prefer to wear a real watch or a G Shock. I have a Garmin but solely goes on for exercise.

Sep 25, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #57,013 of 62,439
It's funny, I actually felt liberated when I gave up my Apple Watch in favor of a real watch. I was always trying to get my steps, in, meet sleep metrics, HR etc. I was consumed with the data. I gave it up a few years ago and much prefer to wear a real watch or a G Shock. I have a Garmin but solely goes on for exercise.
My wrists are free of any cuffs, never cared about gadget watches either. If I need time, my phone is always with me.

Sep 25, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #57,014 of 62,439
Friendly reminder, 10 years ago this is all we had with Bluetooth Audio!
1695668580119.png

Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, imagine another 10 years of innovation.

Sep 25, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #57,015 of 62,439
I went down the Whoop path to track my exercise data just so that I could back to my collection of ”analogue” mechanical watches. Tried using the Garmin for a while but it’s just not the same. I see TWS in the same way, they’re a convenient solution to the convenience problem but they’re not a Hifi solution to the Hifi problem. (Yet).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back