Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 30, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #54,751 of 62,434
The XM5 arrived. The XM5 is much more stable at the higher bit rates on LDAC, than others. So far so good.. fit is great, never tried stock tips, went straight to CP360.
Mine just arrived as well. Fit on the xm5 is a big step forward for me compared to the xm4.

PXL_20230730_200839706.jpg

The nozzle angle is a significant improvement for me as well.

PXL_20230730_201233804.jpg

The case is quite a bit smaller/more pocketable too. Getting close to the mavin air xr's I used to have.

PXL_20230730_200643808.jpg

PXL_20230730_200729282.jpg

PXL_20230730_200754692.jpg

The only downside so far is the much more slippery gloss finish. I wish they kept the matte finish.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #54,752 of 62,434
Have been doing A and B between the Technics AZ80 and the older AZ60.

Have found interesting that the ANC performance on the AZ60 is above the AZ80 and drowning out the noise on flights but also testing them next to a fountain.

Played around with tips as to ensure passive isolation was identical and then started testing.

Used for the tests a Samsung Fold 4 phone at 75% volume.

After achieving passive isolation and similar volume started testing using the same format

A) Music
B) Phone Calls
C) Youtube
D) Plane and Fountain with ANC at 10%/25%/35%/50%/75%/100% steps

Had a bonus test with a family visiting our next door neighbor and their baby started crying.

After 30 minutes of test for each set at home and then a flight this week, found that the AZ60 ANC could manage the different sounds much better than the AZ80. Basically could not hear on AZ60 VS could hear a faint sound on AZ80.

As it relates to calls, no one really could tell me if it was different. On music, found the bass to be mire appealing on the AZ60.

My assumption is that separate from the tech that the housing angle of the AZ60 makes all the difference.

Based on this decided to buy the AZ60M2

Just some simple comparison
16907564081355728338936665684717.jpg

Jul 30, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #54,753 of 62,434
Mine just arrived as well. Fit on the xm5 is a big step forward for me compared to the xm4.

PXL_20230730_200839706.jpg

The nozzle angle is a significant improvement for me as well.

PXL_20230730_201233804.jpg

The case is quite a bit smaller/more pocketable too. Getting close to the mavin air xr's I used to have.

PXL_20230730_200643808.jpg
PXL_20230730_200729282.jpg
PXL_20230730_200754692.jpg

The only downside so far is the much more slippery gloss finish. I wish they kept the matte finish.
Agreed. I was impressed out of the box compared to the XM4. Overall, better than it's predecessor. This is one of those all inclusive TWS, similar to the AZ80, but overall IMO it beats them. Sound is more balanced without tweaking. I will like to see how the beta EQ functions in the future.

Jul 30, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #54,754 of 62,434
I wonder if that that 8k dip may be a measurement error.

https://www.soundguys.com/sony-wf-1000xm5-review-95465/
Has an FR graph as well:

I can confirm the dip appears when I push the xm5 too far into my measurement rig.

Here's what I get for ANC on vs off (no update yet, still on v1.01). Ignore past 10k, not even close to accurate as it changes with each insertion.
Sony WF-1000XM5 (V 1.0.1) ANC on vs off._052252.jpg

Fortunately there is no change to the sound signature/tuning when volume is raised above 70% like the xm4 does. Not that it was an issue for me, as I'm a low to medium volume listener.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #54,755 of 62,434
I wonder if that that 8k dip may be a measurement error.

https://www.soundguys.com/sony-wf-1000xm5-review-95465/
Has an FR graph as well:
Nice, I was actually looking for the measurements, and I hope to see other measurements as well. I suspected the highs would measure well. I got these, and these do sound much better than the XM4 that I disliked for the overly thick sound. I think these are best TWS I've heard, but there is strong bass that the measurements shows. If I were to improve even more, I would cool off the lower mids, upper bass somewhat. Reduce the bass slightly and cool off the warmth. Overall, definately an improvement over the previous models that I didn't like. Similarly of the sound stage, and the responsiveness in terms of speed of the sound.

I agree with SoundGuys statement about improvements in ANC. I thought the previous models weren't very good for ANC, but I would consider the XM5 to be one of the best ANC I've heard for TWS.

I didn't expect them to improve the sound from XM4 like this. I thought it would sound overly warm with bloated bass, but they did otherwise, which was a pleasant surprise that they actually balanced the sound better. With the 8 hr battery life, I think these are a keeper.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #54,756 of 62,434
Nice, I was actually looking for the measurements, and I hope to see other measurements as well. I suspected the highs would measure well. I got these, and these do sound much better than the XM4 that I disliked for the overly thick sound. I think these are best TWS I've heard, but there is strong bass that the measurements shows. If I were to improve even more, I would cool off the lower mids, upper bass somewhat. Reduce the bass slightly and cool off the warmth. Overall, definately an improvement over the previous models that I didn't like. Similarly of the sound stage, and the responsiveness in terms of speed of the sound.

I agree with SoundGuys statement about improvements in ANC. I thought the previous models weren't very good for ANC, but I would consider the XM5 to be one of the best ANC I've heard for TWS.

I didn't expect them to improve the sound from XM4 like this. I thought it would sound overly warm with bloated bass, but they did otherwise, which was a pleasant surprise that they actually balanced the sound better. With the 8 hr battery life, I think these are a keeper.
Thanks for sharing. Sounds promising. Mine might arrive tomorrow!

Jul 30, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #54,757 of 62,434
Spinfits 360 are the ones I used.

It is harder than normal due to the oval nozzle. But it shouldn't be impossible.

Do the ol' inside out flip, anchor on an edge into a pull over
Thank you, I think I’ll go for the W1 then since it has a slightly larger inner diameter. Measuring calipers may come in handy for spacing it apart now that I think about it. You guys are the best!

Jul 31, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #54,759 of 62,434
After 4 days and nights using the 1000XM5, batteries seemed to improved by a significant margin.. last night the batteries L & R were getting discharged for the first time perfectly equally till 1% and playing time was 9 hours and 45 minutes (without ANC, but LDAC set @ full speed 990kbps) Unfortunately they are not very comfortable for side sleepers.. it's possible to do it, but can be uncomfortable, nearly painful, from time to time in the night.

Sound quality, seems to be sufficient for what it is supposed to be. Like 100% of TWS, they are not truly "Hires" / "Hifi", nore really powerfull enough with nice deep impacts like many IEMs can offer with enough juice from the amp, but IEM are at least 2 or 3 times the price of this little device and far less convenient outdoor..

For me, without EQ, Technics AZ80 is really on par for Sound Quality, but less compact...
I own and I will keep both of these TWS, but I think, if I had to choose only one, I think Sony 1000XM5 would be the keeper, for real life battery playing time, size/comfort in the ear...

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #54,760 of 62,434
i loved my xm3 because of the deep soundstage and overall relaxed and dark presentation without emphasizing upper mids, but with a deep dip from this area up to the nicely rolled off highs. Sadly i lost them.
Could anyone compare the xm5 to the xm3 and tell if the new ones are more vshaped, brighter, energetic or anything like this? That would unfortunately kill it for me.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #54,761 of 62,434
I did a few test calls and so far az80 is much better for calls.
Xm5 does block more background sounds but your voice doesn't come across as clear as the az80.

Also note, I ran my test after receiving the first firmware update to the xm5 which was meant to improve the call quality. Honestly I didn't hear much of an improvement but it's good to know that Sony are aware that call quality isn't where it should be with these and are trying to address it.

Also both buds let u adjust anc/ambient mode in call and the az80 let u mute your mic in call too
Thanks 🙏
Appreciate the time checking this. I cancelled my AZ80 pre-order at BH to wait for the XM5 but may end up getting the AZ80 anyway...

Jul 31, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #54,762 of 62,434
Thanks 🙏
Appreciate the time checking this. I cancelled my AZ80 pre-order at BH to wait for the XM5 but may end up getting the AZ80 anyway...
There are a number of 'real' reviews now which go more into more details on the xm5 performance - worth checking them out too.
Sadly for me because of the poor mics i'm returning mine (sound isnt really that much improved imho)

Jul 31, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #54,763 of 62,434
i loved my xm3 because of the deep soundstage and overall relaxed and dark presentation without emphasizing upper mids, but with a deep dip from this area up to the nicely rolled off highs. Sadly i lost them.
Could anyone compare the xm5 to the xm3 and tell if the new ones are more vshaped, brighter, energetic or anything like this? That would unfortunately kill it for me.
There are a few replies here saying the XM5s ARE brighter and clearer than the XM4s. The way you describe your XM3s, I would say, perfectly describes the XM4s. That might be where you want to look, if you can get over the slightly worse ergonomics.

Jul 31, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #54,764 of 62,434

There are a few replies here saying the XM5s ARE brighter and clearer than the XM4s. The way you describe your XM3s, I would say, perfectly describes the XM4s. That might be where you want to look, if you can get over the slightly worse ergonomics.

Hmm, I'd rather go for the XM5 anyway and simply tune the high range down with the app's EQ. Up to -10dB attenuation should offer enough wiggle room.

Sound on TWS goes through a lot of DSP anyway, so don't be afraid to use the in-device EQ on these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back