Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 25, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #54,556 of 62,217
Some french review out ...
https://www.lesnumeriques.com/intra-ecouteur-true-wireless/sony-wf-1000xm5-p73667/test.html

Maybe this time, the impact of ANC is less annoying than usual on sound quality..
Strange big hole in frequency response around 8Khz.....

1690266754548.png

Maybe 1000XM5 has quite less changes with sound quality than EAH-AZ80 when ANC is on ..
I will see this week end, but the frequency response of the EAH-AZ80 "looks" more consistent than the 1000XM5 with no hole in the 6000 to 9000kz range

1690266940339.png

Actually, based on those measurements, the EAH-AZ80 is my sound quality reference for my TWS (still behind my iFi Go Pod + IER-M9) .. It seems the 1000XM5 shouldn't be able to do better than AZ80..
I hope ANC quality and impact on sound quality and global shape of the 1000XM5 can probably be at the top available on the market in 2023.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #54,559 of 62,217
Some french review out ...
https://www.lesnumeriques.com/intra-ecouteur-true-wireless/sony-wf-1000xm5-p73667/test.html

Maybe this time, the impact of ANC is less annoying than usual on sound quality..
Strange big hole in frequency response around 8Khz.....
I've compared their graphs to others in the past, and they don't seem to be accurate, probably they are not using a good coupler.
Yesterday soundguys posted a review right after the announcement, the FR there looks a bit different.

Jul 25, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #54,561 of 62,217
Yeah, as someone else already said, this is a TWS thread :wink: I did look at them though and with coupons I could have gotten them for 27$, but decided that I really do not need another set :wink:
But interesting what Baseus is doing in this field. Look at the H2 … remind you of anything? :wink:

IMG_1941.jpeg
Clone of TimCook? Haha
I don’t know how it sounds, but I swear my best spend on music regarding p/p is Baseus H1i.
I bought green one for my daughter, then just after 15 seconds or so, I feel I need one too!

Jul 25, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #54,565 of 62,217
I really liked the AZ80 but found them somewhat redundant with the Bose and sold them off. In retrospect, that was premature and now I kind of miss them. Wondering aloud if I should cancel the Sony and grab the AZ80 again (on sale hopefully). The Sony frequency curve looks a little wonky and I'm not a fan of dark sound signatures. Some reviews have stated that Sony has tightened things up sound wise going for a more neutral profile. Ahh first world problems.

Also for me Best Buy still showing as "sold out". Weird.

Jul 25, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #54,566 of 62,217
internal sourced components….
That’s because Sony makes/sells a lot of chipsets themselves just like Apple and Samsung design make their own. I believe they make their own memory too.

You have to keep in mind that Sony makes almost ALL of their chips in the top shelf stuff like the DMP-Z1/ZM2 etc. Some of that knowledge trickles down to stuff here. Downside is that you pay for that innovation with a relatively high MSRP.

Jul 25, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #54,567 of 62,217
Yeah, as someone else already said, this is a TWS thread :wink: I did look at them though and with coupons I could have gotten them for 27$, but decided that I really do not need another set :wink:
But interesting what Baseus is doing in this field. Look at the H2 … remind you of anything? :wink:

IMG_1941.jpeg
Think of it this way, R&D costs money (Actually it’s the biggest cost of making a product) and so does innovation (And by innovation I mean coming up with a unique, meticulously designed and crafted product.)

So to deliver on that low low price they likely reverse engineer headphones from higher end companies, change just enough details to not run afoul of copyright laws and use a generic Harmann curve, maybe with slightly elevated bass to sound pleasant to most people. From there they likely use the cheapest components to deliver that price point and sell through channels that turn a blind eye at copyright infringing products. Not saying this in a sense of snobbery but that’s how they get those rock low prices and how they seem to resemble already existing products out there.

Jul 25, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #54,568 of 62,217
Found this thread through google so I'll try my luck here before posting a separate thread

What are some thin "body" options out there? I listen to audiobooks at work and have to wear a noise isolation headset on top of my JBL Wave 100. The cushion of the headset pushes on the IEM which causes discomfort after like an hour of wearing. I don't care about sound quality, for that I'll buy something. Comfort is my number 1 priority.

Jul 25, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #54,570 of 62,217
Found this thread through google so I'll try my luck here before posting a separate thread

What are some thin "body" options out there? I listen to audiobooks at work and have to wear a noise isolation headset on top of my JBL Wave 100. The cushion of the headset pushes on the IEM which causes discomfort after like an hour of wearing. I don't care about sound quality, for that I'll buy something. Comfort is my number 1 priority.

The thinest and most comfortable wireless IEM I own is the Soundcore Sleep A10 with 6 hours playing time, which is a bit short for my uses (I need 8 to 10 hours).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back