Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 24, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #54,526 of 62,501
Well, you mainly get Piston shape (older TWS now), Monitor shape like musicians have been wearing for decades (many of FiiO's wired models and Soundpeats H1) and then Shell shape which is bigger and most of it is outside your ear and the back surface can cause discomfort in larger ears (Free Bysd and FiiO FW5) and then the bane of existence Stem shape which has its own Pros and Cons.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #54,527 of 62,501
Gotcha. Yeah fit is so personal. The nobles are no good for me. I think the struggle continues to be balancing the tech against the size. Bigger amp, battery and driver are going to require more space. Just physics really.

Yup, there is no single perfect solution here but again the big boys also manufacture uncomfortable earbuds. oh well

Jul 24, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #54,528 of 62,501
IMG_1927.jpeg

According to this snazzy count down clock I still have to wait until 10am here to find out the Yen price …
So far I am not toooo interested … then again, I might try to get hands on this afternoon

Jul 24, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #54,529 of 62,501
Well, you mainly get Piston shape (older TWS now), Monitor shape like musicians have been wearing for decades (many of FiiO models and Soundpeats H1) and then Shell shape which is bigger and most of it is outside your ear and the back surface can cause discomfort in larger ears (Free Bryd and FiiO FW5) and then the bane of existence Stem shape which has its own Pros and Cons.

Free Byrd and FiiOs are crazy big! Off-putting. Never tried them but I've had NuraTrue Pros and they were just an awful fit for me. Couldn't get them fit right but never had issues with the classic IEMs.. the course of big ears I think

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #54,530 of 62,501
Noble Audio FoKus Mystique are the same Monitor shape just like the wired FiiO's (I own the FH3 and FH7) and I prefer that shape/style but to be Bluetooth TWS there is not a lot of room for 3+ Drivers+BT Chipset+Dedi AMP+Battery.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #54,532 of 62,501
Yup, there is no single perfect solution here but again the big boys also manufacture uncomfortable earbuds. oh well
To your point, just read two reviews claiming the XM5 have fit issues and despite being smaller are less secure in the ear than the XM4. Given the size of Sony, this seems inexcusable to me. Both Apple and Bose have figured this out. My excitement has been tempered. Poor fit is a deal breaker for me. Bummer. I guess we will see.

Jul 24, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #54,533 of 62,501
Noble Audio FoKus Mystique are the same Monitor shape just like the wired FiiO's (I own the FH3 and FH7) and I prefer that shape/style but to be Bluetooth TWS there is not a lot of room for 3+ Drivers+BT Chipset+Dedi AMP+Battery.

World needs more Wizards then. Noble manages to magically put everything inside and wrap it up in a comfortable (for me), really good looking form.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #54,534 of 62,501
A single driver and basic QCC3040 Chipset, that is why it fits.

Soundpeats H1 is Dual (DD+BA) but once you go to triple like the Opera05 you get that bigger Shell style, the Opera 03 is the same but dual driver no doubt to keep the styles the same.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #54,535 of 62,501
To your point, just read two reviews claiming the XM5 have fit issues and despite being smaller are less secure in the ear than the XM4. Given the size of Sony, this seems inexcusable to me. Both Apple and Bose have figured this out. My excitement has been tempered. Poor fit is a deal breaker for me. Bummer. I guess we will see.
Adding to my own point, HFM nailed the ergonomics with the Svanar. They fit exceptionally well. They stay put during exercise. Yet, a gazillion dollar company like Sony can't figure out how to make a TWS fit? I've now read several reviews with this complaint. Maybe the big boys should pay more attention to what the little guys are doing. Obviously, I need to see for myself but every Sony XM to date has suffered from poor fit.

Jul 24, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #54,537 of 62,501
Adding to my own point, HFM nailed the ergonomics with the Svanar. They fit exceptionally well. They stay put during exercise. Yet, a gazillion dollar company like Sony can't figure out how to make a TWS fit? I've now read several reviews with this complaint. Maybe the big boys should pay more attention to what the little guys are doing. Obviously, I need to see for myself but every Sony XM to date has suffered from poor fit.
Ears are very variable. How about you try it and see if it works for you?

Jul 24, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #54,539 of 62,501
A single driver and basic QCC3040 Chipset, that is why it fits.

Soundpeats H1 is Dual (DD+BA) but once you go to triple like the Opera05 you get that bigger Shell style, the Opera 03 is the same but dual driver no doubt to keep the styles the same.

Noble Fokus Pro and Mystique are triple drives though. 1DD and 2 BA or have I misunderstood something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back