Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 17, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #54,346 of 62,439
Razr looks nice, but costs a grand. The folding ability is nice which seems to cost a premium - I don't need it if it saves some money.

Hmm, seems to go for over a grand. Too expensive for me.

Samsung only allows their own sound codec, right? No aptx or LDAC? I would say Pixel 7 is still an option (non-pro version ofc).
Samsung phones can do aprX (regular) and LDAC in addition to their proprietary SSC codec. They do not support the higher bitrate aptX codecs such as aptX HD or aptX adaptive.

Jul 17, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #54,347 of 62,439
Samsung sucks...

Even as I type this on my Fold 4 :wink:

Jul 17, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #54,348 of 62,439
Samsung phones can do aprX (regular) and LDAC in addition to their proprietary SSC codec. They do not support the higher bitrate aptX codecs such as aptX HD or aptX adaptive.
Yea, I guess that eliminates Samsung. I'm back to thinking possibly Google pixel 7.

Jul 18, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #54,350 of 62,439
It's an amazing little phone. Totally agree. Couldn't find a case I loved so I cut my own vinyl carbon fiber skin for the back, slapped a cheap screen protector on and goin' for it. 🤞
It's for sure a really good phone, honestly does everything a phone needs to do pretty much and does it in a compact form factor. Only thing that I'm not a fan of is the camera (the main camera is fine honestly, and if you enjoy taking selfies you can for sure get some nice ones... I'm not good-looking enough to enjoy taking selfies though. :D but no telephoto makes me sad) and battery life, I'm often at like 60% around lunch time, sure this is using the inner screen for an hour or two in the morning while listening to music as I'm waking up and trying to get ready for the work day ahead, but still not great... paired with the somewhat slow charging makes it feel less amazing than it could, but it's great for what it is!

Then I guess your only real option is the Xperia 1? 😁
I honestly don't know, I think I'm leaning towards the S23 Ultra anyway.
I would probably go Sony if they had faster charging, slightly better cameras and if it was cheaper! I think 15 000 SEK for a Sony phone in 2023 is way too high of an asking price tbh.
They might feel like it's the only way they can get enough money out of their flagships now because not enough people are buying them, but I feel like a lot of people had Sony here in Sweden back around the Z1-Z3 Compact era (god I loved the in-hand feel of the Z3 Compact) and might consider Sony now as well, but for that price Samsung makes a whole lot more sense for most people!

One of the main reasons as well for buying the new phone is to use with the AR Glasses that I ordered recently, and it's this bizarre scenario where they support the Oppo X5 Pro, Vivo X80 Pro, Sony Xperia 1 IV and basically all the PREVIOUS models of the phones I'm choosing between, and i'm thinking they might support the newer models as well but without confirmation of that it feels difficult to choose a phone that might not work with it. The S23 Ultra does work with it.

Jul 18, 2023 at 5:12 AM Post #54,352 of 62,439
Yea, I guess that eliminates Samsung. I'm back to thinking possibly Google pixel 7.
I have the S23U(out of your price range) and the Pixel 7 Pro. You could get a pro for 799 new or renewed on Amazon in Hazel for 573. Personally, I would get the Pro

Jul 18, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #54,353 of 62,439
Not to make this into a smartphone thread, because in the end it is about codecs... but one phone that could be an option for me now would be the Honor Magic5 Pro, I'm seeing some things that I think makes it an all-round good choice.

- It supports AptX HD and LE and of course LDAC, so it seems at least better than Samsung even it's missing AptX Lossless and Adaptive. I've seen one place mention that it DOES in facft support AptX Lossless, but I don't believe that to be correct.
- has faster charging than Samsung S23 Ultra (66W vs 45W, and 66W is almost my pain point, like when you go to 66W and above, everything else just seems slow as hell). It does have Displayport Alt Mode through USB-C, the cameras are supposed to be one of the best setups right now (ranked 3 on DXOmark, now I'm not sure if the real world tests I've seen would agree with that, but still).
- You can set the screen refresh rate to 90hz down from 120hz which is nice, still smooth but saves battery over 120hz when you need it. Usually it's like 120/60, rarely can you choose 120/90/60.
- To avoid confusion: Yes you have Google apps and it's globally launched with Google Play Store etc preinstalled so none of those chinese apps and stuff like that.

Seems like a balanced phone, I don't like that pill shaped-cutout for the front camera though, gives me 2019 vibes tbh... but seems petty to base my decision on that if the rest seems solid enough.
So it just seems like it's a phone that does everything good enough, even if it might not be mindblowing in any category.

Jul 18, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #54,354 of 62,439
Moto all the way, it is such a difference to travel and not carry a massive phone plus is super functional between the two screens

16896279251257523257325687993191.jpg
While I'm an iPhone nutcase, I have to admit, that solution looks ingenius and well thought out. I assume there's a foldable display inbetween there somewhere? That always got me worried about the longevity of them. I know they're plastic but still, there has to be thousands of micro cracks developing there, no? Looks very cool tho

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #54,355 of 62,439
While we're kind of on the subject of phones - Nuratrue Pro/Denon Perl Pro users with AptX Lossless, are you getting 16 bit/44k in the developer options and does it stay at that while smoothly scaling up and down the Adaptive-to-Lossless range? I'm mostly asking Asus users, but are there other Motorola devices (Edge 40/Pro/Razr) that have it working as advertised out of the box?

I only ask as Motorola kind of bawked the AptX Adaptive that worked on my Edge 30 Ultra with what they said was an Android 13 update to AptX Lossless. I'll start at 24 bit/44k, which seems off, and then it will usually disconnect after a while and reconnect at 24/48. It'll do this dance every now and then, switching between, so endless interruptions.

Jul 18, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #54,356 of 62,439
While I'm an iPhone nutcase, I have to admit, that solution looks ingenius and well thought out. I assume there's a foldable display inbetween there somewhere? That always got me worried about the longevity of them. I know they're plastic but still, there has to be thousands of micro cracks developing there, no? Looks very cool tho
iPhone nut here as well. Yup, my Moto opens to a beautiful screen. I added a monthly protection warranty to mine so I don't freak out if the display fails.

I'm not worried about the codecs as if the music recording suck, what's the point? Happy with the phone using iTunes. Works great with every pair of TWS I own. Love being able to keep it folded at work on a little charging pad and listen to tunes 🤘🤘

Attachments

• IMG_6457.jpeg
    IMG_6457.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6458.jpeg
    IMG_6458.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6459.jpeg
    IMG_6459.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Jul 18, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #54,357 of 62,439
iPhone nut here as well. Yup, my Moto opens to a beautiful screen. I added a monthly protection warranty to mine so I don't freak out if the display fails.

I'm not worried about the codecs as if the music recording suck, what's the point? Happy with the phone using iTunes. Works great with every pair of TWS I own. Love being able to keep it folded at work on a little charging pad and listen to tunes 🤘🤘
That warranty is a must-have, I suppose. It covers the display from wear and tear as well?

LOL, this may be a blasphemy on this forum, but nowadays my music is more or less 100% from Spotify through either Sony 1000xm3 or D2000 on my desktop.

Jul 18, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #54,359 of 62,439
That warranty is a must-have, I suppose. It covers the display from wear and tear as well?

LOL, this may be a blasphemy on this forum, but nowadays my music is more or less 100% from Spotify through either Sony 1000xm3 or D2000 on my desktop.
Nah, imo, as long as you're happy.

Yes, it's a Geek Squad warranty through Best Buy. Covers accidents etc. Can be too safe!

Jul 18, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #54,360 of 62,439
Nah, imo, as long as you're happy.

Yes, it's a Geek Squad warranty through Best Buy. Covers accidents etc. Can be too safe!
Yeah, there came a time when I was at my most active here on this forum where I started questioning my choices regarding audio and what's important. I did have some fun with tip rolling, discovering and collecting gear. My Sonys fulfill the majority of my needs. That being said, I do fancy some new TWS iems - I have Sony xb700 and galaxy buds pro, and while they sound fine, the Sonys are fine but I use them for falling asleep and the galaxy buds are just cumbersome on an iPhone. I got them from my last employer with a Samsung S9 as work headphones, and I kept them when I changed jobs.

I'd like my next TWS to be multipoint and have good enough of a sound signature. I am very much biased towards balanced but bass capable signatures (if EQ:ed). I've thought about JBL Live Pro 2, but something tells me they aren't good. Do you think you'd know a suggestion for me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back