Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 1, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #53,896 of 62,437
Further questions on getting higher quality sound using an iPhone and tws: I stream all my music (Tidal) from my phone to my Fokus Mystiques. Doesn't sound bad, but not nearly as good as my previous higher end wired iem's. Is there either a dongle I can attach to my iPhone, or a stand alone bluetooth streaming device that I can get that will improve on my listening experience?

Jul 1, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #53,897 of 62,437
Further questions on getting higher quality sound using an iPhone and tws: I stream all my music (Tidal) from my phone to my Fokus Mystiques. Doesn't sound bad, but not nearly as good as my previous higher end wired iem's. Is there either a dongle I can attach to my iPhone, or a stand alone bluetooth streaming device that I can get that will improve on my listening experience?
I think that’s what we are exploring here. But the mystique only supports Aptx adapative so for you you need a dongle or BT DAP that supports that codec.

Jul 1, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #53,898 of 62,437
I think that’s what we are exploring here. But the mystique only supports Aptx adapative so for you you need a dongle or BT DAP that supports that codec.
Not tested just researched - creative has a usb dongle with atx adaptive 96 that can stream Bluetooth - works from laptops etc. I don’t know if it would work from an iPhone… but that would be the preferred option for me

https://us.creative.com/p/accessories/creative-bt-w5#buy-menu

If not then you’re looking at a dap like the option above - again I’ve not tested - just researched.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #53,899 of 62,437
FiiO BTR7 is a big step up. Qudelix 5Kis a crowd favorite for its app. A new entrant to consider is the iFi Go Pods.
Just be sure whatever you buy can transmit Bluetooth… most only receive… look for transmitters

Jul 1, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #53,901 of 62,437
I am still waiting for the 1000XM5 .. meanwhile, I try some other way which is supposed to reach nearly the best sound quality available without cables with a decent battery playing time.
Source Z Fold 4 (Neutron/Qobuz with PowerAMP EQ)
Amp & BT Receiver : iFi Go Pod set @LDAC 990Kbps
IEM : used Sony IER-M9 (offers an homogeneous tone and texture on all over the frequency spectrum)

2023-07-01 09-44-52 (C,Smoothing1) Small.jpg

Not totally satisfying concerning User's interface and comfort around the ears, but it offers a better sound quality than any of my best recent TWS (AZ80, Liberty 4, HA-FX1000T, Sleep A10, Buds 2 pro)... something like the nearest with good IEM plugged to Fiio BTR7 or iFi Go Blu's concerning SQ.

IMG_7053_DxO Small.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #53,902 of 62,437
So finally realized the UTWS5 had an update for LDAC and gave it a whirl. Aside from the bugs introduced way back when still not fixed (connecting while in the case charging). LDAC seems pretty darn stable so far. Hopefully the FW3 will be similarly stable.

I am using the Fold 4 so maybe the Snapdragon chipset is making LDAC better for me as it is way better at doing LDAC, allowing me to even use 990. My older Samsung phone was never able to do LDAC above 660 without major stuttering issues. I just lived with best effort mostly.

Jul 1, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #53,903 of 62,437
So finally realized the UTWS5 had an update for LDAC and gave it a whirl. Aside from the bugs introduced way back when still not fixed (connecting while in the case charging). LDAC seems pretty darn stable so far. Hopefully the FW3 will be similarly stable.

I am using the Fold 4 so maybe the Snapdragon chipset is making LDAC better for me as it is way better at doing LDAC, allowing me to even use 990. My older Samsung phone was never able to do LDAC above 660 without major stuttering issues. I just lived with best effort mostly.
fiio utws5 get new update for LDAC ?

Jul 1, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #53,904 of 62,437
Yup google utws5 1.71 and you will find some links. You have to download it and then say your doing offline in the app and find the bin file you downloaded.

Jul 1, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #53,905 of 62,437
As much as I am glad to get the UTWS5 LDAC. Have to say the AZ80 is now my defacto go to TWS. My brain is now fully converted. I tried a few songs last night between MTW3, XM4, GB2P and I simply prefer the AZ80 more than anything I own sonically. I ended up going back to the stock tips as well and have had no issues at the gym, walking, or running.

They might not be everyone's favorite but they have become mine for sure...

Jul 1, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #53,906 of 62,437
As much as I am glad to get the UTWS5 LDAC. Have to say the AZ80 is now my defacto go to TWS. My brain is now fully converted. I tried a few songs last night between MTW3, XM4, GB2P and I simply prefer the AZ80 more than anything I own sonically. I ended up going back to the stock tips as well and have had no issues at the gym, walking, or running.

They are as solid as they come. Right there with the Bose IMHO.

Jul 1, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #53,907 of 62,437
They are as solid as they come. Right there with the Bose IMHO.
I sold mine! LOL. After my LA to NYC plane ride, couldn't use then happily on the plane. Not that I paid for them...

Jul 2, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #53,909 of 62,437

im sold az60 and never look at az80 ad they sounds sane. now utws5+ imes is different sound league

Users who are viewing this thread

Back